Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Tips on how to convince a lounge dragon...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tips on how to convince a lounge dragon...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by Wan1dap
Ahmed, I would give up while you're (just) ahead. You obviously live a pretty privileged life, but your constant whining about inconsequential issues rubs me up the wrong way, and I don't believe I'm alone. The reference to the bribe (which you appear to pass off as normal for a person of your extraction) is particularly concerning, especially coming from a teenager. As is the condescending tone you adopt in reference to EK staff. Take some time to consider your behaviours: some adjustment might see some of these issues you raise, fade away.

I know this post will seem judgmental : it is intended that way.
I'm going to go against the crowd and say that - if he has a right to the lounge at 18 or 21 why shouldn't he be upset that as a paying passenger, he doesn't get the same rights at 16? He's not traveling as an unaccompanied minor. We're also not talking about breaking any laws here - i.e. drinking etc, we're talking about getting a shower. What if, for example, in F on the EK A380 where there is a shower, the FAs wouldn't let him shower on the plane where he had paid to fly in F? Sure, it's nice to fly F for the other reasons, but if you're denied something you paid for because of your age? That's not right.

Furthermore, bribery is sadly quite common in many parts of the world - just see the Aeroflot forum about the $100 upgrade or the forum about Vegas hotels. I have heard stories of people who bribed border officials in certain Arab countries to let them in with Israeli passports despite having been born in that country - in that case probably the only way to gain access to visit family or visit the graves of their parents/grandparents. It happens in a lot of places, and frankly to say "for a person of your extraction" is not just judgmental, it's racist.

In my view the OP should be entitled to the the services paid for (including lounge access) assuming he's old enough to meet the airline's travel rules so that he's not traveling as an unaccompanied minor. Doesn't matter if he paid for it with his own money as seems to be the case here or if he has a rich family that pays for it (hell if I paid for my son to fly in J and he didn't get lounge access, I'd probably be even more pissed off about it than he would!)
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold | South African Airways Voyager Gold
Originally Posted by NYTA
I'm going to go against the crowd and say that - if he has a right to the lounge at 18 or 21 why shouldn't he be upset that as a paying passenger, he doesn't get the same rights at 16? He's not traveling as an unaccompanied minor. We're also not talking about breaking any laws here - i.e. drinking etc, we're talking about getting a shower. What if, for example, in F on the EK A380 where there is a shower, the FAs wouldn't let him shower on the plane where he had paid to fly in F? Sure, it's nice to fly F for the other reasons, but if you're denied something you paid for because of your age? That's not right.

Furthermore, bribery is sadly quite common in many parts of the world - just see the Aeroflot forum about the $100 upgrade or the forum about Vegas hotels. I have heard stories of people who bribed border officials in certain Arab countries to let them in with Israeli passports despite having been born in that country - in that case probably the only way to gain access to visit family or visit the graves of their parents/grandparents. It happens in a lot of places, and frankly to say "for a person of your extraction" is not just judgmental, it's racist.

In my view the OP should be entitled to the the services paid for (including lounge access) assuming he's old enough to meet the airline's travel rules so that he's not traveling as an unaccompanied minor. Doesn't matter if he paid for it with his own money as seems to be the case here or if he has a rich family that pays for it (hell if I paid for my son to fly in J and he didn't get lounge access, I'd probably be even more pissed off about it than he would!)
^^^

Thank you for highlighting this!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:11 am
Lux

Originally Posted by Ahmed777
Again, I apologise if I have offended anybody with the use of the term "dragon."

It is commonly used and is not meant, in any way, to be derogatory.
Shukhrun Ahmed, it's appreciated.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: HH Diamond MR PLAT US Gold
Very Interesting Thread
16 YO on mileage run
Tangled in rules to access the lounge

I believe the title should be Mileage Run of 16 with no access to lounge - just kidding
@Ahmed777 - please keep writing to EK till you reach 18 - may be someone else reap the benefit
I understand how you may be feeling when denied just shower and food after 15 hrs flight
But rules are there for some reason / safety - blah blah
Good Luck

-
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
Originally Posted by NYTA

Apart from completely missing the point of my post and condoning the unethical behaviour of a minor, this is a great post.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: FB LT Plat, BA LTG, LH HON
Apart from completely missing the point of my post and condoning the unethical behaviour of a minor, this is a great post.
The OP is making a point about his perceived unfair treatment at the Lounge. You may or may not agree with his approach but I think questioning his ethics is not acceptable. Ethics are based on a cultural perspective and it's rarely wise to judge other people's attitude without understanding the motivation.

Ahmed - everyone's priorities and concerns differ, I can only say good luck in your quest for more equitable treatment from EK. In your shoes, I'd feel exactly the same. It's very easy for contributors not in your position to criticise. I'd go down the email in advance route and see what happens.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:03 pm

Doesn't F + Gold allow to bring a guest?

Just ask any adult looking random stranger (without lounge access, or with just C class access) if he wants to be your "guest" to the F lounge. Problem solved
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
Originally Posted by FatnLoud
The OP is making a point about his perceived unfair treatment at the Lounge. You may or may not agree with his approach but I think questioning his ethics is not acceptable. Ethics are based on a cultural perspective and it's rarely wise to judge other people's attitude without understanding the motivation.
😀 touché!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

? Completely OT.
So are any comments about the poster rather than the issue
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
So are any comments about the poster rather than the issue
His behaviours are part of the issue, as he himself has admitted.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: EK Plat, UA GS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Centurion
I feel that anyone that thinks OP is complaining too much should put themselves in his shoes. Say you were him, a 16 year old who deserved lounge access but were denied it, I doubt that you would say, "oh well, rules are rules, ill just go sit in the terminal." If you deserved it, you would want it. I know i would be just like Ahmed and complain. I think the rule doesn't make any sense. The drinking age is 21 in the UAE, so why can't he be let in until 18? If it were 21 then sure theres a point to it but it just doesn't make sense.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:43 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Mod Comment

Folks, I have run the feather duster over this thread (eg deleted some comments) because some of the comments are completely off topic. Lets stick to the OP's issue. Lets not clutch at straws, or make analogies to bygone eras.

I applaud the OP for the maturity he has shown in his comments/responses.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold | South African Airways Voyager Gold
Side note:

Just recieved an email from EK to confirm my address for my SKYWARDS Gold card delivery!

"Dear Mr Ahmed777

Your new Skywards Gold card is ready for delivery.

Please click one of the links below to confirm or edit the delivery address we have for you on file."

This would be platinum by my renewal date (December) if I do a mileage run to DXB in Y flex, as well as complete my currently booked travels to LGW and HKG.

Thanks for all the comments. With regards to the PP question, my card is linked to my mothers (as in I have my account within hers). I did receive a card. It's difficult to explain. I am always asked to explain this to lounge 'attendants' at JNB and CPT as I do not visit them as often as DUR. Never denied entry though.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:14 pm

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by Ahmed777
Side note:

Just recieved an email from EK to confirm my address for my SKYWARDS Gold card delivery!

"Dear Mr Ahmed777

Your new Skywards Gold card is ready for delivery.

Please click one of the links below to confirm or edit the delivery address we have for you on file."

This would be platinum by my renewal date (December) if I do a mileage run to DXB in Y flex, as well as complete my currently booked travels to LGW and HKG.
Congrats! Does this mean you are free to roam now?

While the age restriction at the lounge may still be valid, not having to show the Skysurfers card at least won't be giving you away so easily. But maybe you *shouldn't* shave when you travel.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:35 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Doesn't F + Gold allow to bring a guest?

Just ask any adult looking random stranger (without lounge access, or with just C class access) if he wants to be your "guest" to the F lounge. Problem solved
Unfortunately, not that easy. That stranger needs to be on the same flight as OP for guesting privileges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.