Upgrade?

Old Aug 1, 14, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Upgrade?

Hi everyone,

I had a question about how everyone's experiences have been with free upgrades using EK.

I'm flying on EK 225 (DXB-SFO) in economy on Aug. 15th, and I'm a 17 year old traveling alone.
I'm also a Skywards member (blue tier)

I called Emirates to ask about the possibility of an upgrade, and the CS representative I spoke to told me that the flight has a capacity of 304,
but actually has 311 peopled booked on it, so it is overbooked by 7.

What are my chances to receive a free upgrade, and is there anything particular I should do to increase my chances?
Old Aug 1, 14, 6:49 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
There is an op-up experiences thread which will give you some idea of other's experiences. As a Skywards Blue Tier member I would not get your hopes up too high - in general members on higher tiers will receive an op-up first (although there is a debate about whether being Platinum helps or not). There has been discussion about preference being given to those with a surname beginning with a letter at the start of the alphabet......

In general the advice given in the past about dressing up, smiling at the check-in staff etc probably doesn't help nowadays when computer systems hold loads of info about passengers and their worth to the airline.

Having said all that - occasional surprises happen so good luck.
Old Aug 1, 14, 7:38 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by vivcal123 View Post
Hi everyone,

I had a question about how everyone's experiences have been with free upgrades using EK.

I'm flying on EK 225 (DXB-SFO) in economy on Aug. 15th, and I'm a 17 year old traveling alone.
I'm also a Skywards member (blue tier)

I called Emirates to ask about the possibility of an upgrade, and the CS representative I spoke to told me that the flight has a capacity of 304,

What are my chances to receive a free upgrade, and is there anything particular I should do to increase my chances?
As you are travelling alone, that will help. However, it's still a very remote chance. < 2%
Old Aug 1, 14, 8:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
DYKWIA - your less than 2% assessment sounds overly-optimistic to me ....!

Personally I would have thought marginally less than nil, given the overall scenario.

But I suppose everything is possible in life, and stranger things have happened at sea (or should that be ..... in the air .........)
Old Aug 1, 14, 8:27 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load View Post
DYKWIA - your less than 2% assessment sounds overly-optimistic to me ....!

Personally I would have thought marginally less than nil, given the overall scenario.

But I suppose everything is possible in life, and stranger things have happened at sea (or should that be ..... in the air .........)
If ek follow the rules then there is no chance!
Old Aug 1, 14, 8:34 am

Kudos to the OP for even making the tel call .....

I've just bought a ticket in your cheapest cabin but wondered if you'd like to give me a much better seat costing thousands dollars more - and for free .....
Old Aug 1, 14, 8:39 am

Kudos to the OP for even making the tel call .....

I've just bought a ticket in your cheapest cabin but wondered if you'd like to give me a much better seat costing thousands dollars more - and for free .....
I don't think ek would op up a minor either. At 17 that would most likely mean no chance!
Old Aug 1, 14, 9:49 am

Programs: EK Gold, HHonors Diamond
Surprised that they even gave you that information - you must be a charmer....
Miracles do happen sometimes ...
Old Aug 1, 14, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackiedada View Post
Surprised that they even gave you that information - you must be a charmer....

Miracles do happen sometimes ...
I'm usually very good with customer service
Just subtly added the fact that my TV wasn't working for the 14 hour onward journey haha
Old Aug 1, 14, 11:46 am

I'm sure they've never heard that little ruse before. Full marks for originality !

You should have told them you couldn't watch that great new movie you've been itching to see ("Adventures in Cloud Cuckoo Land") ...........
Old Aug 1, 14, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

I'm sure they've never heard that little ruse before. Full marks for originality !

You should have told them you couldn't watch that great new movie you've been itching to see ("Adventures in Cloud Cuckoo Land") ...........
Actually believe it or not, my TV did not in fact work. The flight attendants tried resetting the system, but the screen still remained blank.

Luckily I had downloaded a few TV shows for the flight, would have gone crazy for those 14 hours without that because I couldn't sleep either.
Old Aug 3, 14, 5:11 am
Moz

Programs: BA Gold, Delta SM, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
As you are travelling alone, that will help. However, it's still a very remote chance. < 2%
I have flown EK maybe 6 times this year (lets say a total of 20 legs) and have been upgraded from business to first once.

That means I am batting at 5%, well above your predicted average!
Old Aug 3, 14, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by Moz View Post
I have flown EK maybe 6 times this year (lets say a total of 20 legs) and have been upgraded from business to first once.

Y to J is different than J to F.

J to F is tougher - more likely to have HVC's in J and on full fare tickets. If you are a HVC 75/100plus tier miles per annnum in Y then you may get bumped (after I/O's and Plats).

My J to F isn't great either but my Y to J this year is at 2/3 legs.
Old Aug 3, 14, 6:40 am

You are EK Gold, the subject of this thread is Blue. That would make a difference even if your sample size wasn't low enough to be statistically meaningless.
Old Aug 3, 14, 8:59 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

As a gold, > 5% is to be expected. As a blue < 2% is still optimistic

Search this Thread