Wiki Posts
Search

Strange!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Skywards Gold, Etihad Guest Gold, VS
Strange!

Pricing via the EK website a Christmas LHR to OZ and back, departing 18 December, to Melbourne, starting back 11 January from Brisbane. Whole trip in F.

The straightforward return as above comes out at £7283.59.

I decided to add on a circa £100 short hop on QF in Y from HVB to Brisbane and the price becomes.....

£18,882.19

Yes my typically <£100 add on ups the price by £11,600.

And strangely.....the cheaper return flight nets me 45000 Skywards miles and tier miles (not including my status bonuses) whereas the expensive version gives me 32,500 of each!
Old Jul 9, 2014, 2:15 pm

The miles calculation isn't accurate.

No need to add HVB like that. QF honours international baggage allowance, lounge access (if available), and through checking even on separate bookings with EK. As long as the connection is within 24 hours (works both ways by the way, except for through checking on the outbound as you would have to collect bags upon landing in AU).

Book the domestic flight using Expedia AU.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Skywards Gold, Etihad Guest Gold, VS
Strange!

Thank you edy4eva.

I wanted to add HVB to the return to get everything on one ticket, my journey home starts from there and Qantas Link are a tad unreliable on the HVB-BNE route. I have done this before without any problem so I am not sure why it is throwing up this bizarre pricing now.

Last edited by dogsrock; Jul 9, 2014 at 3:20 pm
Old Jul 9, 2014, 7:45 pm

PM Sent
Old Jul 17, 2014, 6:35 am

Programs: EK Blue :-( BAEC
Same thing has happened to me!
I have been stalking EK website waiting for saver fares for J ex GLA to MEL with a ADL to PER then DXB-GLA. Fares were flex circa £3900 for Mar 15. They have a new special offer and its now £11,000 per person

I can book separately and take on board what was posted by edy4eva (thanks) as we aren't travelling onwards the same day.

It's just odd and annoying!!
Old Jul 17, 2014, 6:43 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
I have sometimes found that creating a multi-city trip to Aus /NZ from the UK and including DXB as an outbound stopover produces better fares than specifying the first leg as UK-Aus direct. This applies even if the DXB 'stopover' is 3 hours and all of the flights are the same...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.