Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

First class vs business class on A380 is it worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First class vs business class on A380 is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2019, 6:09 pm

If choosing only one leg, I would do F DXB-LAX rather than the reverse due to the better lounge in Dubai
Old Aug 24, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by AbuCordoba
Thank you for the quick response...forgot to add I do not drink so the Dom doesn't make difference however I am a foodie so that should make up for it I assume? and the novelty of a shower is a big plus...
Some considerations - seems like you're based out of MCT, so the DXB-LAX leg will be a daytime flight for your body clock and you'll be awake most of the time to enjoy all the amenities and all the food. The DXB EK F lounge, last I was there, only serves breakfast in the morning and EK215 leaves at 8:50am. It might not be that inspiring a meal, so they may do lunch/dinner on request. Anyone with recent experiences?

LAX-DXB is an evening flight departing at 4:45pm, so if you want to experience sleeping in the F seat and waking up to take a shower and arriving refreshed, and you sleep well on airplanes, I'd consider that. Depends on your priorities and what you expect to be doing when you get off the plane in either place.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 4:44 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I used the DXB lounge on Concourse B (I think) a few months ago. I don't like breakfast offerings.

I spoke to the waiter and was told I could order anything on the menu, at whatever time of day. I had a great fillet steak and chips at 7am.

Most people around me seemed to be having breakfast.
Tanzguy likes this.

Last edited by Longton; Aug 25, 2019 at 4:47 am Reason: Missed something
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Emirates Skywards Gold, Priority Guest Rewards Platinum
I'm also deciding between flying First from Cape Town to Auckland through Dubai. On one day the Cape Town to Dubai flight doesn't offer First, but Dubai to Auckland is First. If I were to fly out a day later, both journeys have First available for the same price as if I were to go Business then First for the day before. I'm wondering if I should do Business then First so I can compare the two seats (never flown premium cabins in EK) or leave a day later and fly both on First. Any thoughts please?
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: EK Gold
Originally Posted by sonyxperiageek
I'm also deciding between flying First from Cape Town to Auckland through Dubai. On one day the Cape Town to Dubai flight doesn't offer First, but Dubai to Auckland is First. If I were to fly out a day later, both journeys have First available for the same price as if I were to go Business then First for the day before. I'm wondering if I should do Business then First so I can compare the two seats (never flown premium cabins in EK) or leave a day later and fly both on First. Any thoughts please?
Personally if it was me, I'd be maximizing the amount of time I could spend in F.
Especially if the cost is the same as flying J then F.

Is it a 777 or 380 departing out of CPT? If the former, you can 'compare' F across the 2 x aircraft.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Emirates Skywards Gold, Priority Guest Rewards Platinum
Originally Posted by nmc980
Personally if it was me, I'd be maximizing the amount of time I could spend in F.
Especially if the cost is the same as flying J then F.

Is it a 777 or 380 departing out of CPT? If the former, you can 'compare' F across the 2 x aircraft.
It's 773 ER out of Cape Town, so I wonder if it will have the new floor to ceiling First suites with virtual windows in the middle aisle too?
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Same price - no brainer! Why would you spend the same amount of money but 'only' fly Business on one leg??? And if you fly F and tell the crew you've never seen the Business product, they'll most likely let you see it and try an empty seat. On my very first flight on the A380 and in F, the purser gave me a personal tour of the entire AC when I told her I had never been on it before.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
It's 773 ER out of Cape Town, so I wonder if it will have the new floor to ceiling First suites with virtual windows in the middle aisle too?
Definitely not.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:40 am

Just looking at Cape Town hotels and some can be had for under 100nzd extra a night.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 8:33 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Not a chance, CPT gets the most ancient 77W's in the fleet!

To answer the question: for the same money you would be mad (sorry) to choose the J cabin on the 9 hour flight from CPT to DXB. In fact, on the 77W the difference between J and F is significantly more than on the A380. I am not going to start letting this thread degenerate into another one about the merits and drawbacks of the 77W J cabin, enough about that in other threads.
Tanzguy and Herrick like this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by thijsseh
Not a chance, CPT gets the most ancient 77W's in the fleet!

To answer the question: for the same money you would be mad (sorry) to choose the J cabin on the 9 hour flight from CPT to DXB. In fact, on the 77W the difference between J and F is significantly more than on the A380. I am not going to start letting this thread degenerate into another one about the merits and drawbacks of the 77W J cabin, enough about that in other threads.
Haha fair enough. And yeah completely agree with the old 77Ws. Was in economy going from Cape Town last year and the IFE didn't work for the entire 9 hour flight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.