Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Why is it cheaper to fly out of BOS?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2014, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF, EK

Greetings all - I just booked BOS - SYD return in J (via DXB of course), and the flight was $4k cheaper then flying out of NY or DC. Why is it is much cheaper out of BOS?
Old Jun 12, 2014, 2:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Looking at the fares, it would seem that EK just reckons that it can get away with charging more from some places than Boston.

Perhaps the minimum 7 hour connection time in Dubai when connecting from BOS makes it a lot less popular than from JFK where the connection is just 2 hrs 25 especially given that I doubt many people are that keen to take a 4000 mile detour to get to Sydney over using QF, UA or NZ for example if the prices were the same

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jun 12, 2014 at 2:18 pm
Old Jun 12, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
EK typically applies 'promotional' pricing to its new routes. Wait for a couple of months before prices sync up closer to JFK...
Old Jun 12, 2014, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by jackiedada
EK typically applies 'promotional' pricing to its new routes. Wait for a couple of months before prices sync up closer to JFK...
Comparing JFK and BOS, the cheapest business class fares are both fare basis IEE14US1 , but from BOS it has a base of $8570 vs $12266 from JFK. Wouldn't a promotional offering likely be a fare base of its own?

Also, the BOS fares in economy class are more expensive than those from JFK which wouldn't be much of a promotion ( lowest base from JFK to SYD being LLW4PUS1 at $934 followed by LLWIPUS1 at $974 vs LLWIPUS1 being lowest from BOS at $1064 )
Old Jun 12, 2014, 7:56 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
I think you're trying to understand something, which will never be understood.

I still to this day don't understand how I managed to buy two Y ticket's from PVG to LHR with EY over the busy Christmas period last year for less than 350GBP a piece (I didn't want to fly EY or Y, but I simply couldn't turn the fare down).

Just use it to your advantage when you can
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Comparing JFK and BOS, the cheapest business class fares are both fare basis IEE14US1 , but from BOS it has a base of $8570 vs $12266 from JFK. Wouldn't a promotional offering likely be a fare base of its own?
$8K to SYD is cheap, let alone $12K??
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Unfortunately, yes. QF right now is also $12k+. This time last year I paid $6k, and the year before that $4.5 for J seats. Economy right now is also around $2k LAX - SYD.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
It is for that journey
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:23 pm
Suspended

BOS-DXB-SYS-DXB-BOS is about 28,000 miles so a $8K fare would come to 30 cpm. That's standard for a business class fare.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

I doubt many people are that keen to take a 4000 mile detour to get to Sydney over using QF, UA or NZ for example if the prices were the same
Right, however the $4k fare difference was worth the extra time to me! But, if the prices were the same, I absolutely would be flying through LAX - SYD.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:17 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold

Also, the BOS fares in economy class are more expensive than those from JFK which wouldn't be much of a promotion ( lowest base from JFK to SYD being LLW4PUS1 at $934 followed by LLWIPUS1 at $974 vs LLWIPUS1 being lowest from BOS at $1064 )
I am no guru on pricing, but because I do these routes fairly often here is my experience.

On JFK, the J cabin typically sells out much before Y and on most flights J is fully sold out. Eg - this Monday J is sold out but Y seems to be wide-open. Boston is the other way around - Y will typically sell out way before J. Besides it is currently serviced by a much smaller a/c. Maybe an indicator....
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Besides it is currently serviced by a much smaller a/c. Maybe an indicator....
Pardon my ignorance...a/c? Air Crew? Smaller Air Conditioning unit?
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:39 pm

I am no guru on pricing, but because I do these routes fairly often here is my experience.

On JFK, the J cabin typically sells out much before Y and on most flights J is fully sold out. Eg - this Monday J is sold out but Y seems to be wide-open. Boston is the other way around - Y will typically sell out way before J. Besides it is currently serviced by a much smaller a/c. Maybe an indicator....
I was comparing like for like on the lowest fare bases. The lowest roundtrip business fare from JFK is $3696 more expensive than the lowest business fare from BOS

If demand from JFK is higher than from BOS, that would explain why the fares are higher from JFK

The fare ex BOS does not look like it is a special promotional fare that is being offered
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by Auzzee
Pardon my ignorance...a/c? Air Crew? Smaller Air Conditioning unit?
Aircraft.

BOS is served by a B777-200LR whereas both JFK flights are operated by A380s.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 6:11 am
Suspended

You don't know why BOS Y is selling out before J. On the route BOS-DXB-XXX, most Y pax may in fact be flying BOS-DXB-BOM selling out the BOS-DXB cabin early. That leaves not much for BOS-DXB-SYD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.