Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

12 hour lay over - leave the airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:38 am
Original Poster

So I will be getting into Dubai around 7:30pm and not flying out until 7:45am the following morning. I will be in business class with 2 friends, I was thinking about having the chauffeur service drop us somewhere in the city to do a bit of sightseeing, eat dinner and maybe have some drinks, then a scheduled pickup to get back to the airport for some time to relax in the lounge before our flight. Not sure how late places are open ect...

Do you think its worth it? If so where should we go?
Old Jun 3, 2014, 4:11 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by awoz
So I will be getting into Dubai around 7:30pm and not flying out until 7:45am the following morning. I will be in business class with 2 friends, I was thinking about having the chauffeur service drop us somewhere in the city to do a bit of sightseeing, eat dinner and maybe have some drinks, then a scheduled pickup to get back to the airport for some time to relax in the lounge before our flight. Not sure how late places are open ect...

Do you think its worth it? If so where should we go?
Yes, that's no issue at all. Maybe get dropped off at the Burj Khalifa and have a look around, and then get a taxi back to Le Meridien Village near the airport. Lots of bars and restaurants to choose from. Some bars there are open until 3am. Get the limo to pick you up from there.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 5:17 pm

Assuming you're arriving into from the EU/UK, the lunch service on the flight will leave you with little desire for dinner.

12 hours is such a long layover that I doubt you'll relax in any way in the lounge. I would actually book a hotel, have a decent night sleep before continuing the next morning. Meaning about 2-3 hours of solid time around the Dubai mall/Khalifa precinct.

There should be plenty of cheap hotels not too far from the airport (Deira area).
Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:52 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Miles & More, SPG, Marriott
Agree with above posters. Either take it easy and sleep in a hotel, or do a spot of sightseeing, then hit the bars. Dubai Mall below the Burj Khalifa is open very late. Meridien Village has some nice bars and restaurants, and there are a few along Sheikh Zayeed Road, plus some more dives in Deira. You could also go for a very nice dinner in one of the upscale restaurants or hotels.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice everyone, I think we will pass on the hotel, I'm looking more for some fun nightlife, we will probably do the Burj Khalifa and dubai mall then make our way over to some bars, and good recommendations for bars? We would be interested in a younger crowd and nothing too upscale. I have read that rock bottom cafe is a good time...
Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:38 am

Programs: SPG Platinum,HHonors Gold
I used to do the same before my morning flights to AMS.

Irish village is close to airport . I was there recently, young crowd,pretty vibrant. 5 pints costed 30 Euros, which is quite cheap considering the ambiance,they had a large outdoor space with live band. Pretty famous of their food menu too.

Plenty of other mid-scale bars to hop-on/hop-off in Bur Dubai & Deira area. Russian, Arabic, English,Asian bars lined up one next to each other. Many of them have snooker tables.

If you are in a weekday ( Sunday to Wednesday night ) many bars tend to close by 1 ish in the night.

Last edited by isle11; Jun 4, 2014 at 7:55 am
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: EK Gold, QF
I would assume you would qualify for Dubai connect with a 12 hour layover.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mushez
I would assume you would qualify for Dubai connect with a 12 hour layover.
Not unless you are on the earliest departing flight....
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: EK, BA, EY, SQ, IHG, HH, SPG

Barasiti is ok as are various rock bottoms. Barasiti in one of the meridians marina end or various bars around al qasr

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.