Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates First from Dublin to Dubai - Underwhelming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2014, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Hi All

Just flew first class from Dublin to Dubai and the only way to describe the flight is underwhelming. This may sound like a totally first world problem but the experience was not what I expected and totally left me wondering why I had paid the extra to fly first class.

The issues which I had relate to the flight and the crew interaction. The food was not good at all. Firstly, the hor d'ouevres listed on the menu were never served nor referred to. Secondly, the main course, which was prawns arrabiata, was obviously waiting in the oven to be served once I had finished the starter (no salad). It was totally overcooked. When I mentioned this to the head purser he just took the plate and left. No alternative was offered.

In relation to the wine, I selected a syrah from the Napa valley and no pretence was made to hide the fact that it came from the business class trolley. Not really a sign that premium wine is exclusively served in First!

I was also totally amazed when with about 2 hours to go, I was informed that they had run out of sparkling water. Again, not a first experience.

The crew were not interactive and this showed when they were seated and buckled in for landing with 30 minutes to go! They performed their duties but did not go beyond that.

I feel that for the money the experience did not match up. Nor did it match up to the advertisements by Emirates. They need to get their act in gear if they want to maintain a position amongst the top ranking airlines. This first experience did not match the service from the rivals. If I was just flying to Dubai, it would be Etihad in Business for me - far superior than the first experience today on Emirates.

Just giving feedback. Not looking for people to feel sorry for me!!!! After all, I did fly in the first cabin with suites!!

Happy flying

Angliham
Old May 26, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
Make sure you give this feedback to EK as well, so it might come to use.
Old May 26, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Very disappointing to read your report Angliham.

Although I have never personally had such a negative experience during many trips in F (or indeed J) with Emirates, I am all too aware that you are not alone in being let down badly by crew members who fail to live up to the expected standard ; and there is no excuse for the specific issues you encountered on the catering front.

Where on-board service delivery in First class is concerned, Emirates management must adopt and impose the same philosophy that a Michelin-starred restaurant does as regards quality & consistency. Top chefs do this not just because they never know if an inspector might be "in the house" but because of pride and a wish to protect a hard-earned reputation.

As johhenrik has suggested, I do think you should make your views known to Emirates HQ.
Old May 27, 2014, 12:27 am

I'm a recent transplant to EK (Our US airlines suck, and I finally ran out of United miles to book award travel on "real" airlines), and I find this report disconcerting. I've had phenomenal experiences thus far during my limited time in EK F (6 trips thus far), so it's honestly hard for me to image the scenario the OP has described.

I'm dumping all my eggs into the EK basket with nearly 70,000 additional BIS miles of EK F travel booked through early 2015, so I'll be watching (and hoping that the OP's experience was a one-off).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.