Wiki Posts
Search

Should I go for it?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2014, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Should I go for it?

Hey all.

I need about 9,250 more tier miles to reach silver status. I am travelling from LHE(Lahore)-Dubai(DXB)-Glasgow(GLA) on 16th June and on the return leg I am travelling from LHR(London Heathrow)-Dubai(DXB)-Karachi(KHI) on 28th-29th June. Since I am travelling on a saver fare I will earn 3750 tier miles as a result. I will then need 5500 tier miles to reach silver status. If I get my fare upgraded from saver to flex I earn 3750 tier miles more, hence needing 1750 more tier miles to reach silver.

If that happens, if I do a mile run from Karachi to Dubai on a saver fare, I will earn 1100 tier miles, hence needing 650 more tier miles to reach silver. If less than 1000 tier miles are required to reach silver status, will they give it to me? My review date is 31st July.

The problem is, though, the cost for upgrading the entire fare from saver to flex fare is about 20,000 PKR (about US$203). Is it worth the upgrade? Should I get it done? Thanks in advance.
Old May 18, 2014, 5:31 am

Programs: EK Gold, WY Silver, IHG Gold
EK seems to be strict with tier miles nowadays... so if you really want to go for the silver, then go for flex fares. LHE-DXB-GLA, LHR-DXB-KHI, and KHI-DXB-KHI
Old May 18, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
I agree with the above, if you are spending all this $ just to get more tier miles, it would really suck to then end up not getting the status because of insufficient miles. So make sure you have the full amount needed.

With that being said, how often do you use the benefits of silver? Is it enough to justify the rather large additional $ / time to you? If yes, I would go for it and fly KHI-DXB-KHI on flex as suggested above. If no, I would just stick with saver Y to Europe and forget the mileage run.
Old May 18, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by taimurtk100
\ If less than 1000 tier miles are required to reach silver status, will they give it to me? My review date is 31st July.
I doubt it - with the recent posts on the forum about earning tier status, EK will make you earn all the 25K miles before granting you status.
Old May 24, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: EK Gold, QF
Silver as a status is not that great and personally Gold would be the only status worth mile running for to get it.

However really it is a personal choice and is up to each individual to weigh up the costs to gain a status to the benefits that status will bring.
Old May 25, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by mushez
Silver as a status is not that great and personally Gold would be the only status worth mile running for to get it.

However really it is a personal choice and is up to each individual to weigh up the costs to gain a status to the benefits that status will bring.
Even Gold is also not of much value if most of your flights are in J. Platinum on the other hand is something that I wouldnt have minded doing a mileage run for.

However I am now older and wiser. I'm reducing my travel now to around 50k tier miles per year.Its probably a lot cheaper to buy F tickets for the occasional flight or buy J and use miles to upgrade than wasting a significant chunk of money and my time for a 90 k mileage run.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.