Let F tix go to waste?

Old Apr 29, 14, 10:40 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 412
Let F tix go to waste?

I booked award seats for my wife and I on EK F YYZ-DXB-YYZ. We used the first leg but came back on EY because we couldn't find any availability on EK in January 2014 (when we wanted to come back). We ended up booking the return to the middle of May, and figured we'd change it later to October or November.

May is now upon us and I can't find a single set of tickets from DXB-YYZ in Z for June-November. We booked using JAL Mileage Bank, and I don't know if EK is blocking them now or not, but even the agent couldn't find anything.

We have no plan to pack up and go to Dubai in May just for the sake of flying back, but on the other hand, it would be a shame to have 2 seats in F on the A380 go to waste.

I'm seriously thinking of flying there for 2 days on EY J just so we can fly back. Yes, it would be a waste of miles (135k miles one way for 2 pax), but still.....

Am I crazy (like my wife thinks) or should we do it?

Last edited by spideysense; Apr 29, 14 at 10:51 pm
spideysense is offline  
Old Apr 29, 14, 10:49 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: BOM
Programs: EK Gold, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 2,794
Originally Posted by spideysense View Post
Am I crazy (like my wife thinks) or should we do it?
I would probably think of ways of utilizing it. Why not take a small vacation to some place close to DXB or AUH and then you won't sound so crazy
jackiedada is offline  
Old Apr 29, 14, 10:51 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 412
Well, we have vacations planned for June and also in August. Vacationing in May would be possible, but slightly excessive! Am considering it though.
spideysense is offline  
Old Apr 30, 14, 2:23 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Posts: 5,681
Hmm......if you're the sort of flier (and I'm sure there are many ...!) who enjoys simply being on planes, then I guess it's "worth" doing. Personally I regard spending long hours in the air purely as a means to an end, and in all honesty would see flying there & back just for the sake of using the award as a waste of time.

But ultimately it all comes down to individual preference
subject2load is offline  
Old Apr 30, 14, 7:10 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 9,528
Can you fly from a nearby city instead which may have availability (BOS, JFK)? I am not sure if JAL miles allow you to change the city after departure
sadiqhassan is offline  
Old Apr 30, 14, 4:24 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 412
Originally Posted by subject2load View Post
Hmm......if you're the sort of flier (and I'm sure there are many ...!) who enjoys simply being on planes, then I guess it's "worth" doing. Personally I regard spending long hours in the air purely as a means to an end, and in all honesty would see flying there & back just for the sake of using the award as a waste of time.

But ultimately it all comes down to individual preference
Yes, I'm sort of like you. I do enjoy being on planes, but not enough to fly for the sake of flying, even if I'm being spoonfed caviar

A bit of been there, done that for me. Still, I'm pondering it...
spideysense is offline  
Old Apr 30, 14, 4:25 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 412
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan View Post
Can you fly from a nearby city instead which may have availability (BOS, JFK)? I am not sure if JAL miles allow you to change the city after departure
Nothing available to North America in F for 2 pax. I checked several times, both on Expertflyer and by calling them repeatedly.
spideysense is offline  
Old Apr 30, 14, 5:00 pm
  #8  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 41,274
Originally Posted by spideysense View Post

Am I crazy (like my wife thinks) or should we do it?
I would say so. using 135k miles just to take a flight for no reason other than to take another flight seems ridiculous
Dave Noble is offline  
Old May 3, 14, 12:09 am
  #9  
Xlr
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Posts: 746
I think it would be borderline crazy if you do it simply to catch another plane in 2 days. If you do intend to make it a UAE vacation though, may I suggest Sir Bani Yas Island?
Xlr is offline  
Old May 4, 14, 6:06 am
  #10  
Formerly known as FTRox87
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: TX
Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Posts: 1,428
Originally Posted by spideysense View Post
Nothing available to North America in F for 2 pax. I checked several times, both on Expertflyer and by calling them repeatedly.
is it important for both of you to travel that leg together?

if not book in separate NA cities and if far from YYZ, find another way home for one or both.

Originally Posted by Xlr View Post
If you do intend to make it a UAE vacation though, may I suggest Sir Bani Yas Island?
good suggestion ^
FTR 787 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: