Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade at check in

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
Upgrade at check in

So I finally managed to use some points for an upgrade yesterday.

I was hoping for an op up as they told me they were overbooked by 3 and under by 6 in j. The check in lady asked if I'd like to use miles and I duly did. I got to the desk where I had to pay the air passenger duty and they were touting the rest go the seats off at £417. J ended up going out full y with some seats left and f 6/14.

I guess it shows d class is not high up on ek's agenda anymore when they have people queuing to pay £400 for one leg in j.

On the way out ek17 there were 16 golds in j and 7 plats one of whom was upgraded to the last seat in f... Man is definitely status heavy!
Old Apr 8, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Im flying out on EK 16 on the 10th. Have been trying to get a D seat but no availability so far. Looks as if J is packed. Its going to be th back of the aircraft for me this time.

On the other hand my DXB-DEL upgrade was sorted yesterday. I was constantly checking for the upgrade as I prefer getting a 2 to 2.5 hr sleep in the aircraft rather than staying awake before reaching DEL. I had set up an alert on Expertflyer . I was doing a manual check on Expertflyer and found a seat yesterday morning. The Expertflyer alert came into my inbox a full 6 hours later ( by which time the seat could have gone). I can see why they cannot do a check every second but doing once every 6 hours does not seem great IMHO.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
I'm confused. Do you just have to pay the APD if it's Ex-UK? I've upgraded with miles from the CMB checkin desk and DXB and never had to pay anything. Seems crazy.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
Originally Posted by marconess
I'm confused. Do you just have to pay the APD if it's Ex-UK? I've upgraded with miles from the CMB checkin desk and DXB and never had to pay anything. Seems crazy.
Yes. It's a UK tax on outbound.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by marconess
Yes, came in as a rude shock when we were checking in for our return flight to BOM. Had upgraded months before and no mention of APD until at check-in counter at MAN. Was a good excuse to get rid of all my GBP though, and then some more...

Last edited by jackiedada; Apr 8, 2014 at 3:08 pm
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by m3red
...On the way out ek17 there were 16 golds in j and 7 plats one of whom was upgraded to the last seat in f... Man is definitely status heavy!
Wait till you get to JFK. 30+ golds in J is not unusual. J routinely gets sold out before Y...
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:07 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Miles & More, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by jackiedada
J routinely gets sold out before Y...
Same in ZRH and GVA. As m3red has also found out to his dismay.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

I'd been waiting for an alert on Ef for weeks, no availability at all.

It was a flex ticket too, seems like ek will only give seats at the last minute and as a last resort.

Premium travel ex uk is extremely busy these days.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
I was trying to use miles for an upgrade from Y to J recently on a flight from europe to DXB.

No luck with D class opening up despite EF alert setup, no luck with op up as Y was open and no luck at check-in as J checked in full.

I gave it one last try on board - J was still full, but F wasn't... so I did a double upgrade and flew the F suite home!

Too bad I ate my face off in the lounge in anticipation of the Y trip home.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by extramileage
I was trying to use miles for an upgrade from Y to J recently on a flight from europe to DXB.

No luck with D class opening up despite EF alert setup, no luck with op up as Y was open and no luck at check-in as J checked in full.

I gave it one last try on board - J was still full, but F wasn't... so I did a double upgrade and flew the F suite home!

Too bad I ate my face off in the lounge in anticipation of the Y trip home.
I didn't think a double upgrade was possible?

That's pretty cool.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, KQ Gold
Originally Posted by ukdoctor

...... I had set up an alert on Expertflyer . I was doing a manual check on Expertflyer and found a seat yesterday morning. The Expertflyer alert came into my inbox a full 6 hours later ( by which time the seat could have gone). I can see why they cannot do a check every second but doing once every 6 hours does not seem great IMHO.
I had a similar experience with expertflyer, the alert came through a good 4 hours after I checked manually and found the availability I was looking for. I have always been a big fan of expertflyer but it seems it can't be relied on all the time.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:05 pm

Is APD the same for J as F exiting UK? E.g. You only need to pay additional when upgrading from Y to J with points, not J to F?
Old Apr 10, 2014, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by jmeselby
Is APD the same for J as F exiting UK? E.g. You only need to pay additional when upgrading from Y to J with points, not J to F?
Yes, only extra to pay is from Y upwards.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 3:04 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by m3red
I didn't think a double upgrade was possible?

That's pretty cool.
You can always ask. AFAIK its not strictly by the rules but some pursers allow it.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
You can always ask. AFAIK its not strictly by the rules but some pursers allow it.
I always thought it was silly to print off of the double upgrade mileage costs on the manifests if you weren't allowed to do it, but then this is EK...!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.