Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

When is an upgrade not an upgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2014, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: skywards Gold, Krisflyer

Received an e-mail from Emirates today asking if I wanted to upgrade on the first leg of a flight (BHX to DXB) en-route to SIN on 18th March. Cost would be £436. Too much...have paid only £320 for this upgrade in the past!!

Last edited by philduck; Mar 16, 2014 at 4:40 am
Old Mar 16, 2014, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by philduck
Received an e-mail from Emirates today asking if I wanted to upgrade on the first leg of a flight (BHX to DXB) en-route to SIN on 18th March. Cost would be £436. I could currently book this same flight on the Emirates web-site for £404 (this would also include a chauffeur drive to the airport, not part of the 'upgrade' deal). Is this crazy, or is it just me?
Wait, are you saying you can book a J BHX-DXB for 404 GBP? That would be an excellent deal...
Old Mar 16, 2014, 3:13 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Received an e-mail from Emirates today asking if I wanted to upgrade on the first leg of a flight (BHX to DXB) en-route to SIN on 18th March. Cost would be £436. I could currently book this same flight on the Emirates web-site for £404 (this would also include a chauffeur drive to the airport, not part of the 'upgrade' deal). Is this crazy, or is it just me?
I suspect you missed out a zero??. Or are you looking at Y tickets.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 3:14 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Screenshot please.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 3:17 am

Programs: EK, BA, EY, SQ, IHG, HH, SPG

Looks like its the price of upgrading from Y-J, no?
Old Mar 16, 2014, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: skywards Gold, Krisflyer
Whoops...apols all round. I misread the Emirates web-site info. Have amended post as necessary!!!!
Old Mar 16, 2014, 4:45 am

Whoops...apols all round. I misread the Emirates web-site info. Have amended post as necessary!!!!
If the price difference between Y and J BHX-SIN is about 2.5k GBP, then perhaps you could say it's a reasonable upgrade price. Perhaps not a bargain but I think it's a sensible price that might get one or two offers. EK's revenue team is quite good at extracting as much money from a plane as possible. The value to you of course will vary with your personal circumstances and tolerances...!
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:17 am

Programs: EK (G), VS (G), EY (G), BA (B) & HH (D)
Received an e-mail from Emirates today asking if I wanted to upgrade on the first leg of a flight (BHX to DXB) en-route to SIN on 18th March. Cost would be £436. Too much...have paid only £320 for this upgrade in the past!!
Assuming I understood the point being made here correctly, I would say 'lucky you'!

The upgrade offer is only for a single sector (BHX-DXB) and not the entire outward journey (BHX-DXB and DXB-SIN).

EK do make such offers from time to time, especially to selected Skywards Silver & Gold card holders.

From my experience, this offer is sent out even when the cabin one is travelling in is not full / over-sold. It is a way of EK saying 'thank you', perhaps.

Upgrades are limited so they are accepted on a first come first served basis.

The cost of an upgrade will be determined by a number of factors and one of them is the fare basis of your current Y ticket and the 'available fare basis' of the J seats.

I hope the offer is still available for your benefit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.