Wiki Posts
Search

EK Soft Landing

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold, QF
EK Soft Landing

Just trying to get it confirmed, as well if anyone had it happen to them, that EK Soft Land people who fail to re-qualify.

Say you are Platinum and fail to even get 20k Tier Miles, do you soft land to Gold?

I read here that you do:
http://www.ausbt.com.au/full-details...ent-flyer-tier

Also they say on the EK site:
http://www.emirates.com/us/english/h...y=1102556#faq1

"If you have not managed to stay in your tier after your review date, you will move back to the previous tier. The rolling-tier qualification system will resume, meaning we give you a review opportunity every month over the subsequent 12 to 13 months to allow you to regain your status."

I am trying to weigh up the pro's and con's of "investing" in a push to gain Platinum status by the end of July at a substantial cost, to tick it off my bucket list, and if that meant I would have Platinum for 12 months, followed by Gold for a subsequent 12 months (2 years of Gold or higher status) then it would tip the scales a bit in its favour.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by mushez
Just trying to get it confirmed, as well if anyone had it happen to them, that EK Soft Land people who fail to re-qualify.

Say you are Platinum and fail to even get 20k Tier Miles, do you soft land to Gold?

I read here that you do:
http://www.ausbt.com.au/full-details...ent-flyer-tier

Also they say on the EK site:
http://www.emirates.com/us/english/h...y=1102556#faq1

"If you have not managed to stay in your tier after your review date, you will move back to the previous tier. The rolling-tier qualification system will resume, meaning we give you a review opportunity every month over the subsequent 12 to 13 months to allow you to regain your status."

I am trying to weigh up the pro's and con's of "investing" in a push to gain Platinum status by the end of July at a substantial cost, to tick it off my bucket list, and if that meant I would have Platinum for 12 months, followed by Gold for a subsequent 12 months (2 years of Gold or higher status) then it would tip the scales a bit in its favour.
Yes.

Not worth it though.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:55 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mushez
If you really don't intend flying EK much after you hit Plat, why would you plan on spending so much money for such an intangible thing. Besides, as m3red has said, its really not worth it. If it is any cheaper, you may just want to pay for an F flight and enjoy the F service and F lounge access.

As an aside, the only thing I end up doing in the F lounge (the only big benefit of Platinum) these days is order some Sushi...
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:42 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Miles & More, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by jackiedada
As an aside, the only thing I end up doing in the F lounge (the only big benefit of Platinum) these days is order some Sushi...
I find the biggest benefit of the F lounge is that it is quieter and has sofas. Hardly worth pushing yourself to Plat, if you won't be flying much afterwards.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackiedada
If you really don't intend flying EK much after you hit Plat, why would you plan on spending so much money for such an intangible thing.
First off, I do plan to continue to fly and to fly with EK, and do fly monthly. I do appreciate what Gold delivers to me and cannot see any extra major benefits that Platinum will deliver and would agree that pushing for it to most isn't valuable.

Getting Platinum is a bucket list item, once I have got it, will be rather happy to slide back to Gold. I am currently so close it would be a shame not to push it to get Platinum by the end of July.

I currently buy some flex fares to gain and maintain Gold status, and if I will always land back to Gold after 12 months as a Plat, then I can justify it easily by not buying any flex fares trying to maintain Gold for the 12 months I am Plat.

The main thing I value in status is lounge access, however the most valuable benefit is luggage allowance - I use it/need it and often prior to status paid excess baggage charges or paid to courier stuff I need before I traveled and often choose what flights now to upgrade on with miles if I need even more than my 46kg + 7kg carry on.....

I do fly 100% for work, for my own company. So I have fixed from and to locations, and rather fixed time frames that I do have to fly when I do.

Some of the status running I am looking at doing between now and July is for example paying $2,000USD flying to KIX to pick up my full luggage allowance in product to fly home that we would otherwise be paying $1,200USD to freight out to us and gaining 23,000 SC & the 34,500 miles in the process.

I have in all the hunting I have done, that you will pay around 10 cents per status credit or more, with the best option is $1,800 for 25,600SC with a flex fare.

Last edited by mushez; Mar 21, 2014 at 4:21 am
Old Mar 22, 2014, 2:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Plat(Soon to be gold), HHonors Silver, Amex Gold
I will not be re-qualifying for plat so I will be going to Gold. Although I go out of my way to avoid EK travel now so ultimately it doesn't matter either way for me.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Plan in place, all my flights are booked, will be Platinum come 20th July.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
let us know how it goes - from what I can read on here other than F lounge access, Plat has very little additional to offer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.