Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carryon baggage allowance? ...!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2014, 11:46 pm

7kg Baggage Allowance? ...!!

At BKK now and just walked through a shanghai airways mob waiting to board. All I can say is WOW at what they think is acceptable carry on. some of that stuff should be classified cargo.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC/EK
Originally Posted by ayeaway
At BKK now and just walked through a shanghai airways mob waiting to board. All I can say is WOW at what they think is acceptable carry on. some of that stuff should be classified cargo.
That's just it. I'm all for enforcement of rules, provided they are fair and reasonable.

It's hard to watch people carry luggage so big it takes up an entire overhead bin on one flight and then be tagged for having over 7kg of luggage on the next...
Old Mar 1, 2014, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Baldpacker
That's just it. I'm all for enforcement of rules, provided they are fair and reasonable.

It's hard to watch people carry luggage so big it takes up an entire overhead bin on one flight and then be tagged for having over 7kg of luggage on the next...
I totally agree with you that the 1x 7kg policy is silly especially regarding the lax enforcement at most outstations - and EK is a carrier where most of its traffic connects and doesn't originate at DXB - but I wouldn't worry too much if you are travelling a lot on EK in Y: in over 50 sectors in Y last year I only had my hand baggage weighed twice and both times it was allowed through at around 9kg. I usually put a laptop bag inside my carry-on and I just took it out for weighing and promptly put it back in once past security again.

I suspect the safety aspect with 1+1 allowances on EK is not the motivating factor, I think it's more to do with fuel/weight and boarding time and specifically being a fall-back policy they can enforce if/when they need to try and reduce weight (perhaps if last minute lucrative cargo needs to go on that flight) or if a senior VP is in the house etc. etc. EK is not the most consistent of airlines, in my experience...
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:04 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Any recent experience on this topic? We are travelling tonight EK Business (so officially 2 x 7kg/each hand baggage). Will they likely weigh hand baggage? We usually travel without checked bags & ONE hand baggage bag each! Thanks.

Last edited by NoY; Jan 20, 2016 at 10:41 pm Reason: additional information.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 11:13 pm

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by NoY
Any recent experience on this topic? We are travelling tonight EK Business (so officially 2 x 7kg/each hand baggage). Will they likely weigh hand baggage? We usually travel without checked bags & ONE hand baggage bag each! Thanks.
Never happened in BKK for me, don't think it will be a problem (unless you have 14+ per person)
Old Jan 21, 2016, 1:24 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by kuroko
Never happened in BKK for me, don't think it will be a problem (unless you have 14+ per person)
No, more likely 1 x piece at 10kg / each. Will try with that & let you know. Thanks.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 3:13 am
NoY

Originally Posted by NoY
No, more likely 1 x piece at 10kg / each. Will try with that & let you know. Thanks.
Update: I had 1 x 9.5kg + one laptop bag & Mrs. NoY had 1 x 11kg plus handbag. No weigh-in/measuring/checks were done at all. All smooth & hassle free. Plenty of locker space on board too ^^
Old Jan 24, 2016, 5:54 am

Programs: Thai Silver,Skywards Silver,Gulf Silver, Interconti Prority Platinum, FR Priority Q!
Originally Posted by NoY
Update: I had 1 x 9.5kg + one laptop bag & Mrs. NoY had 1 x 11kg plus handbag. No weigh-in/measuring/checks were done at all. All smooth & hassle free. Plenty of locker space on board too ^^
Six sectors in J this month. We had a combined wheelie/slip bag on top each with total weight probably 15k each. Bags were not weighed at BHX/DXB/BKK or even with code share check-in at RGN
SS
Old Apr 25, 2016, 1:02 am

Programs: Alaska
Carry On Baggage Weight

When flying Emirates, has anyone had their carry-on bags weighed when checking in or before boarding? Emirates seems to have a tight weight limit for carry-on bags (15lbs), and many carry-ons weigh at least half that to start with.

Thanks,

MBD
Old Apr 25, 2016, 1:28 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by mamabigdog
When flying Emirates, has anyone had their carry-on bags weighed when checking in or before boarding? Emirates seems to have a tight weight limit for carry-on bags (15lbs), and many carry-ons weigh at least half that to start with.

Thanks,

MBD
that's pretty much the norm when it comes to carry-on limits. I've not had them weighed, I've had more issues with having more than 1 bag, as EK have a rather silly policy of only 1 carry-on in Economy while most airlines allow 1 carry-on + a laptop/camera bag.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 1:55 am

Programs: Skywards

Thanks,

MBD
only ex Japan...
Old Apr 25, 2016, 11:34 pm

When flying Emirates, has anyone had their carry-on bags weighed when checking in or before boarding?
They were weighing them at Business Class check in at AMS last week. Also had them weighed at GLA.

What's the point of rules if their not going to be enforced?
Old Apr 26, 2016, 2:22 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some

Thanks,

MBD
Some airports (e.g. AKL) have people checking weights of carry-on after check in but before immigration/security.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by ft101
They were weighing them at Business Class check in at AMS last week. Also had them weighed at GLA.

What's the point of rules if their not going to be enforced?
It's to allow EK to enforce them in the case there's an operational requirement (e.g. totally full flight and thus space/weight considerations).

Generally you see weighing as a matter of course when operations has directed the local handling agent to do it to ensure more accurate payload forecast for the aircraft, generally if the flights are extremely full.
Old May 3, 2016, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC/EK
Originally Posted by NoY
Looks like you've already traveled but I'll weigh in for the next person with this country. I never had my luggage checked or weighed while flying EK business.

The pinch point where they have typically been brutal about this is after checking in for an economy flight in Dubai before you reach security. I haven't had to check in through Dubai for a while so I'm not sure if they're still clamping down or not but they tend to be very good towards people flying business or first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.