Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New economy service

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2013, 10:57 am
Original Poster

New economy service

From tomorrow, 01december a new style of service will be rolled out across all flights in economy class. The most visible difference would be a new design of meal tray and equipment used. A positive change should be to receive the hot meal and drink together at the same time.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Is the meal tray getting even smaller?
Old Nov 30, 2013, 1:04 pm

Are you sure?

Anyone flying economy to send pictures back??
Old Nov 30, 2013, 10:32 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Descending
From tomorrow, 01december a new style of service will be rolled out across all flights in economy class. The most visible difference would be a new design of meal tray and equipment used. A positive change should be to receive the hot meal and drink together at the same time.
I might by taking my first y flight of the year on dec 27 if I can't get an upgrade so I will report back
Old Dec 1, 2013, 12:53 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
I am flying next week so will report back
Old Dec 1, 2013, 2:48 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Etihad Gold
Spoke to a couple of the cabin crew two days ago on EEN A380 from BKK-DXB. The topic of the conversation was the food service on board. Both confirmed economy had been given a new food service format that would hopefully reduce current complaint levels. I was flying in business and for me although the drinks service and starters went well the whole service broke down after that point. There was number of complaints from a lot of Business Customers that the starter plates had been sitting on their seat table for over 40 minutes and there was still no sign of the main meal materializing. The Purser did intervene and got things moving again, but by this time many customers had rejected the meal due to length of the delay or simply returned it back due to being uneatable. The two cabin crew I spoke to told me that they have made their own personal feelings felt that the current Business Class Service on the A380 is simply unworkable and the amount of complaints they are receiving is not good for their morale or the customers comfort. They further informed me that the Emirates Business Class Service is also under review and will see some changes once a workable model is agreed. They told me that the trolley may have to be reintroduced , for at least starters/deserts, because individual galley runs from just one station is one of the causes of the current delays. For me if this does improve the service I welcome such changes, so watch this space.

On a positive note I travelled on EEN the newest edition to the A380 family what a difference. Although the seat is the same size the adjustments made to the tray table now gives you a more comfortable space. The seat also gives added comfort and is a big improvement from the older A380 style seat. The increased screen size is really great it is like being in a cinema. The seat button is now next to your tray table that makes it so much easier to adjust then the previous edition. I also lover new digital/telephone control pad and the repositioning of the headphone socket. I have to say Emirates have done their homework and it was nice to speak to other Skywards Members who also loved the new format. Well done Emirates.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 4:32 am

Which route is this EEN flight?

EDIT: Just checked it's Munich... I wonder if they will replace the London flights with these new A380 planes... Can someone send back pictures? Thanks in advance would be appreciated.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 4:34 am

Programs: BA, TK, EK
Funny you should mention EEN - I was on that recently for a short sector (in J) and the meal service was worse than usual. Over 1h from takeoff to drink delivery (I know I could have used the bar, I wasn't despearate) and then a refill 30 minutes before landing. The cabin was very full and I was seated at the rear - crew were practically running back and forth and still barely keeping up. If they spend all their time moving back and forth to the galley then of course it will take forever.

I would welcome the reintroduction of trolleys in J, at least on the A380. Just like economy but with bigger trays and better meals. It doesn't bother me at all whether my choice is placed on the (otherwise pre-filled) tray beside me or in the galley.

As an aside, I took a ~4-5h F sector last year and found the serving of mains from the trolley unexpected but good. I changed my selection upon seeing the options and was glad I did so.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by jamjaruk
Which route is this EEN flight?

EDIT: Just checked it's Munich... I wonder if they will replace the London flights with these new A380 planes... Can someone send back pictures? Thanks in advance would be appreciated.
Airframes are not devoted to specific routes.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Miles & More, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by father_ted
As an aside, I took a ~4-5h F sector last year and found the serving of mains from the trolley unexpected but good. I changed my selection upon seeing the options and was glad I did so.
Not that I've been in F that much, but I've never seen this. Did they bring out all meals heated up, then you took one? Was this also in a 380? I thought they do the final prep and heating on board, that's why you have to tell them a bit beforehand. Or did you select and they went back to the galley to heat it?
Old Dec 1, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: BA, TK, EK
Originally Posted by Turicus
Not that I've been in F that much, but I've never seen this. Did they bring out all meals heated up, then you took one? Was this also in a 380? I thought they do the final prep and heating on board, that's why you have to tell them a bit beforehand. Or did you select and they went back to the galley to heat it?
It was a 777, 12 F seats, lunch service. The trolley had ceramic serving dishes (containing multiple portions in each dish) for all of the main options and vegetables/sides. A supply of empty plates was below. Everything was heated up together so I am not sure what would have happened if any of us requested a different meal time, but the flight was only 4.5 hours.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Miles & More, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by father_ted
It was a 777, 12 F seats, lunch service. The trolley had ceramic serving dishes (containing multiple portions in each dish) for all of the main options and vegetables/sides. A supply of empty plates was below. Everything was heated up together so I am not sure what would have happened if any of us requested a different meal time, but the flight was only 4.5 hours.
Interesting, thanks. Seems to me this would only make sense on short flights where they can assume everyone eats more or less at the same time.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
New economy service

Although the conversation has veered off the original (valid topic nonetheless), the economy meal service has indeed changed a bit.

See here:

https://pic.twitter.com/ZezQFNNw4h
Old Dec 1, 2013, 4:51 pm

Light year when you travelled on EEN was that in business class?
Old Dec 2, 2013, 12:08 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Etihad Gold
Originally Posted by jamjaruk
Light year when you travelled on EEN was that in business class?
I was sitting in business class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.