Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Customer Affairs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
Customer Affairs

Hi,
Am in dispute with customer affairs after I gave feedback/complaint about a specific aspect of service on my recent EK flight.
It may sound trivial but they are saying the crew served my specific diet when they definitely did not. In fact the crew member specifically told me they lost the meal. EK says this was not so - they served me the meal.
They didnt.
I would let it go but their response is basically making out that I am lying when I'm not.
I've never ever had any problems before with EK service - now I am badly disappointed with their response.
Is there any further redress?
Daisymay
Old Nov 26, 2013, 12:25 pm

At the outset, it is most unfortunate that you experienced technical problems on board our flights. As already mentioned in our most recent correspondences dated 28 November 2012 and 10 December 2012, despite checks carried out by our engineers prior to every departure, regrettably there are occasions when electrical faults may cause the functions of the in-flight entertainment (IFE) system or seats to fail.

I have checked the technical log of the aircraft which operated flights EK22/EK845 on 7 October from Manchester to Doha and flight EK21 on 12 October from Dubai to Manchester and the records do not reflect that your seats had problems on board the first two flights mentioned above. Therefore this must have been an intermittent problem that was rectified when the system was reset.

Rubbish.

Whilst the remote control of your seat on board flight EK21 had a fault, your seat could have been reclined by using the control on your arm rest. Nevertheless, whilst I am pleased to note that you were re-seated in one of our Suites, I am sorry for any disappointment felt.

Did that make iright, to have 3 preset seat positions ?

We also note your comments regarding the boarding process of flight EK18 on 16 September from Manchester to Dubai.

I welcome the opportunity to clarify that Manchester Airport has only one parking stand suitable for the Airbus 380 aircraft. The stand experienced a technical problem, which could not be rectified by the airport authorities prior to the arrival of the incoming flight from Dubai. Hence, the flight was allocated a remote stand. I shall point out that we have no jurisdiction over these matters and that we can only liaise with the airport authorities to ensure an effective use of the airport facilities.

Passengers boarded by using two set of stairs and First and Business Class passengers were given a dedicated shuttle bus to transfer them from the terminal building to the aircraft, which was a very short distance.

One set of stairs. Guaranteed.

However, if you reached the boarding gate after the bus had departed, you would have boarded the other bus reserved for Economy Class passengers. The number of passengers that boarded the bus was in accordance with the capacity of the vehicle and we regret if the short journey was uncomfortable.

We went when called from the lounge.

Furthermore, our records show that the boarding of this flight commenced at 13.48 and it was completed at 14.15, which is considered average and had the flight have boarded from a non-remote stand, it would have taken approximately the same amount of time.

Tosh.

Additionally, I was truly sorry to learn that you felt unwell after flights EK18/EK346 on 16 September from Manchester to Kuala Lumpur and that you believed this was due to a meal consumed on board these flights.

I would like to take this opportunity to reassure you that Emirates places the greatest emphasis on the high standard of meals that are provided to our passengers and our caterers only use the freshest available produce.

Our Medical section in Dubai have confirmed that all the food that is served in our own lounges and on board all our flights is prepared in a batch production method and our caterers apply very stringent hygiene control checks in their meal preparation processes. Therefore, food poisoning from such a meal production method would generally affect a large number of people who had consumed the same food.

I have also contacted our Catering department who have confirmed that we have not received any adverse comments from other passengers concerning the food served on board the above flights.

Our medical section has further advised me that the incubation period can range from hours to days and that conditions of the kind you describe may have been caused by meals consumed in advance or by other factors.

There is no evidence to support your claim that the food served by Emirates was the direct cause of your illness. Nevertheless, I hope that you have made a full recovery and can only apologise for any negative impression caused by the event you describe in your email.

Furthermore, we regret if the hand wash had run out when you used the toilet facilities in the Lounge at Kuala Lumpur Airport. Our records show that you were given a boarding card for flight EK409 on 21 September at 07.32, which was swiped at the gate at 09.37. I wish to confirm that toilet was cleaned and the soap replenished periodically at 08.30, 08.42, 08.53, 09.00, 09.11 and 09.30.

No, the lounge guy just shrugged his shoulders and said "finished".

I also wish to explain that the soap dispensers on board our flights are replenished by the Engineers during the turnaround time and all facilities are checked by the Purser to ensure that they are up to the standards we aim to offer our passengers, prior to closing the aircraft door. You have mentioned that you used the toilet facilities prior to take-off and that there was no soap at the time. I understand that our cabin crew provided you with liquid soap when you brought this matter to their attention. I can assure you that we do not load washing-up soap on our flights, as there is no need to use it.

I must have imagined said bottle of washing up liquid then, white plastic with red Emirates logo and "washing up liquid on it"

I also note the incident concerning a fellow passenger. I wish to take the opportunity to point out that safety is paramount to Emirates and is something that we will never jeopardise.

Within our standard operating procedures, passengers are advised to remain seated with their seat belts securely fasten during take-off, landing and whilst the seat belt signs are illuminated, They are also given advice on the restrictions regarding the use of electrical devices on board our aircraft and we do expect our passengers to co-operate and comply with these instructions at all times.

A final check that the cabin is secure for landing is carried out by the Senior Flight Steward(ess) prior to landing. The cabin must be secured no later than 2.5 minutes prior to landing, when our cabin crew then take their seats. We sincerely regret if you felt that this duty was not carried out thoroughly and your comments have been duly noted. I have forwarded your correspondence to the relevant Cabin Crew Manager, so that he is aware of your experience.

We regret if the remark made by a crew member was inappropriate.

This guy refused to turn off his phone, and never fastened his seat belt, when I challenged the senior I was told, "ooh, but he IS handsome".

Additionally, I note your comments concerning the meal provided on board this flight and I must apologise for any lapse in our service. I would however like to explain that in an attempt to maintain the freshness of the food that is served on board our flights, our caterers use blast freezing and natural de-frosting methods, as opposed to microwaveable heating. All meals are then heated on board in line with standard procedures to bring them up to a certain temperature. I was therefore disappointed to learn that you found the in-flight meal served to you to be below our normal standard.

Two meals cold in the middle warm at best on the outer edges.

I too am a liar !
Old Nov 26, 2013, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
Quite a list Tezzer - made me smile for the first time.
The safety one also made me laugh - on this same flight as soon as the plane landed a guy got out of his seat and made his way to the bathroom - not a word from the cabin crew.
It wasnt taxi ing it was still on the runway.
Besides insisting they served my special meal when the didnt and even told me they lost it and offered an Asian meal, they also literally slung the sandwiches/wraps the night before at the pax - and no serviette packs either - another first.
Landing cards didn't materialize - at least not in my part of the cabin.
None of the issues have been addressed except for the flat denial and the excuse that no one else complained.
To add insult to injury the customer affairs lady explained to me as if I was a moron what a lacto -ovo veg meal was and that it contained egg and she was sorry if it was not to my liking.
Now I fly EK a lot and in Y always have lacto ovo meals.
Well, at least it helps to get it off my chest.
Really shocked by EK's attitude.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 2:18 pm

After tezzers complaints list i am not surprised you got a poor reply from EK daisymay.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Firemansam
After tezzers complaints list i am not surprised you got a poor reply from EK daisymay.

Thanks!
I've only ever had one problem with EK and thats when my MAN-DXB fight was 5 hours late on tech problems and missed connection.
No problem, they put me on the next flight and gave me 25,000 goodwill points.
Reading on flyertalk here people have been given goodwill points for things such as faulty headphones...............makes one wonder, it really does.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:17 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by daisymay2

Thanks!
I've only ever had one problem with EK and thats when my MAN-DXB fight was 5 hours late on tech problems and missed connection.
No problem, they put me on the next flight and gave me 25,000 goodwill points.
Reading on flyertalk here people have been given goodwill points for things such as faulty headphones...............makes one wonder, it really does.
My parents were in ek 18 a few weeks ago - was a 5 hour delay and they missed their connection to mru.

Did you not ask for eu261 compensation? You would get about a grand I think...
Old Nov 27, 2013, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m3red
My parents were in ek 18 a few weeks ago - was a 5 hour delay and they missed their connection to mru.

Did you not ask for eu261 compensation? You would get about a grand I think...
M3red no I didn't - I had thought about it but the 25,000 points each worked out OK for us at the time and you can't have points and claim compensation?
Looking back after this episode I wish I had claimed compensation.
Are your parents claiming?
And why is always a 5 hour delay on that flight?
I just wish they wouldn't try to cover up their own ineptitude about this matter - it really does leave a sour taste.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 11:56 pm

tezzer, whoever wrote those replies is a true EK apologist!
Old Dec 2, 2013, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Update:
Now they are telling me that they are not doubting my word (which was that I didnt get my meal) and they say their response was based on available reports at the time. No idea what that's supposed to mean -yet they still insist my file has been fully investigated and they have no further comments to add to their previous responses.

Not heard anything more from them.
This has really made me think they don't value or listen to their loyal customers at all.
Very unhappy with them.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alta, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by daisymay2
M3red no I didn't - I had thought about it but the 25,000 points each worked out OK for us at the time and you can't have points and claim compensation?
Looking back after this episode I wish I had claimed compensation.(
Well, firstly they should have given you a text outlining your rights under EC261. (Article 14.2) If they didn't, they're in breach.

Secondly, the 25000 points goodwill does not affect your right to claim compensation, *unless* you signed something to say that you were taking that instead of your EC261 compensation (Article 7.3). If you didn't sign something like that, then the fact that you accepted the Goodwill is irrelevant, and you can still pursue a compensation claim under the directive.

Although there is no express provision in the directive stating that you are entitled to such compensation, two court cases have resulted in verdicts that for any delay over 3 hours should be treated as a cancellation. (Sturgeon v Condor, Bock vs Air France)

You should be entitled to Eur600 each (Article 7.1)
Old Dec 3, 2013, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Colm - I might just look into this.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 1:45 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, TK Elite +, Hilton Diamond
Very strange. The same exact thing happened to my fiancče (a vegetarian). Her AVML meal never made it on to the flight. Luckily there was a vegetarian pasta dish in J that our crew brought for her (we were flying in Y). Not only that, but upon landing in DXB we went to confirm at the transfer desk that in our onward flight she indeed had an AVML meal. This led to us telling the agent about our previous flight (not in a complaining way at all). She got on the phone with someone, ripped our boarding passes and issued us new ones for J as a sort of apology I think.

Luck of the draw I guess.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EK788
Very strange. The same exact thing happened to my fiancče (a vegetarian). Her AVML meal never made it on to the flight. Luckily there was a vegetarian pasta dish in J that our crew brought for her (we were flying in Y). Not only that, but upon landing in DXB we went to confirm at the transfer desk that in our onward flight she indeed had an AVML meal. This led to us telling the agent about our previous flight (not in a complaining way at all). She got on the phone with someone, ripped our boarding passes and issued us new ones for J as a sort of apology I think.

Luck of the draw I guess.
Very lucky - I was offered Asian veg but cant eat spices and have several food allergies so declined.
They "lost" mine - which they flatly deny after investigating and insist it was given out - yes maybe to some other pax I suspect but not to me.
I haven't bothered trying to persue it any more.
They just don't want to listen.
Its not so much the meal now - more the blatant fabrication regarding the events - EK cabin crew say everyone with special meals received them including me - and they ignore what actually happened.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 1:34 pm

Daisymay, they do. My comments and complaints, until recently have always been well received, now you get a blank refusal,if it isn't in the log, it didn't happen. The only suggestion is to make sure the purser KNOWS you are going to comment post flight, then they are more likely to put it in the log, to cover their own arse !
Old Dec 4, 2013, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tezzer
Daisymay, they do. My comments and complaints, until recently have always been well received, now you get a blank refusal,if it isn't in the log, it didn't happen. The only suggestion is to make sure the purser KNOWS you are going to comment post flight, then they are more likely to put it in the log, to cover their own arse !
Thanks Tezzer, I'll certainly make sure if any future problems I'll get the name of the purser and tell him/her of my intentions.
You are right - and it seems that they don't seem to be logging problems.
Same flight the crew allowed a man to use the bathroom just as the plane wheels touched the tarmac.........not logged?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.