Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Possible EK Rome to Sydney in the future

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2013, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Here's a link

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/emira...ts-505051.html
Old Jun 15, 2013, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by NOIR
I don't understand why EK would fly such a route, unless of course it aims to replace Alitalia and Qantas.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
20 hrs even on the 380 in F would be barely tolerable. ho
Old Jun 15, 2013, 6:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Rome - Sydney seems like an unlikely flight to be operated by EK; Rome is not the most major destination in Europe and there is no onward options that EK could offer on its own flights out of Rome
Old Jun 15, 2013, 6:45 pm

Well he said Rome to Sydney was on the horizon. He could have just been talking about what's on the horizon from a technology point of view (i.e. it's possible) rather than a business point of view.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Rome - Sydney seems like an unlikely flight to be operated by EK; Rome is not the most major destination in Europe and there is no onward options that EK could offer on its own flights out of Rome
There are a huge number of Italians who emigrated to Australia so I suppose there could be the demand however I would think the fuel bill would be extraordinary.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 3:48 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Accor Gold, Hilton Hhonors Gold, Qantas Gold, Virgin Australia Platinum
I don't think he meant he's thinking of flights from Sydney to Rome direct, as Rowan said it's likely from a technology point of view. He was talking to the NZ Herald so perhaps he thought a route from Sydney-Europe might be a more understandable analogy than from Dubai to somewhere (although I'm sure the NZers would like to have direct AKL-DXB flights sometime soon!)
Old Jun 16, 2013, 4:13 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I agree that FCO-SYD seems bizarre. The mileage is not much longer than via DXB, so would it really be viable just to save the connection? I would think that the holy grail of LHR-SYD non-stop, or DXB-AKL, would be much more logical.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mecabq
I agree that FCO-SYD seems bizarre. The mileage is not much longer than via DXB, so would it really be viable just to save the connection? I would think that the holy grail of LHR-SYD non-stop, or DXB-AKL, would be much more logical.
In general though it seems the super long flights have gone out of fashion with higher fuel prices.

A couple of examples:

The TG service nonstop JFK/BKK: Gone.

SQ JFK/SIN nonstop: Gone.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: BAEC
No don't think that'd be a smart move. A smart move would be to try and get some A380 spots in Frankfurt.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 11:11 pm

QF had a few attempts at FCO-SIN-SYD/MEL without much success. I don't think much has changed, and in fact as probably deteriorated as family ties begin to fade over time and generations in Australia.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goback
QF had a few attempts at FCO-SIN-SYD/MEL without much success. I don't think much has changed, and in fact as probably deteriorated as family ties begin to fade over time and generations in Australia.
In peak summer season they had a few charter QF flights also into VCE.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 2:31 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
In general though it seems the super long flights have gone out of fashion with higher fuel prices.

A couple of examples:

The TG service nonstop JFK/BKK: Gone.

SQ JFK/SIN nonstop: Gone.
True, and FCO-SYD is significantly longer than even those. But the article refers to EK getting some type of new generation aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.