Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

1st time with EK, a couple of Y questions pls!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2013, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Hi All

I have a few brief questions to ask all you frequent fliers out there so would really appreciate any advise and tips please!

Itenaryflight times are on separate days so please don't get confused with the times)

Gatwick depart at 9:45am arriving in Dubai 20:30pm (777-300ER)
Dubai depart 23:10pm arriving in Bangkok 08:00am. (777-300)
Bangkok depart 20:40pm arriving in Dubai 00:30am (A380-800), then connection flight from Dubai at 02:50am arriving in Gatwick at 06:35am (777-300ER)

My questions are mainly to do with the first 2 flights:

1 - Do you get an amenity kit on any of these flights both day and night, if so can someone please advise what is to be included?( Curious as I have the option to purchase one on an Air Asia or Jetstar on later flights when going to Phuket/Singapore).

2 - does anyone know how many meals to expect on the first flight from Gatwick >Dubai?

3 - As its my first time in Dubai and Bangkok, is it worth sitting in the window seat as I arrive at 20:30pm in Dubai and 8:00am in Bangkok, so do you think it's worth the view considering I usually prefer isle seats?

4 - Finally, I am travelling solo so just in case any of the flights are not full, in terms of me having the best chance of having an extra seat to myself, am I best booking a seat in a 3 row or the 2 row seats at the back?

Thanks you!
Tenille
Old May 12, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: QR Gold, EK, Accor, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold VIP, Delta
#3: Probably not, especially if you favor aisle seats anyway.

#1,2,4 I couldnt tell you.
Old May 12, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
#1 no amenity kits in economy
#4 near the back is where the spare seats are likely to be
Old May 12, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
The views into Dubai can be quite nice; if that is important to you, then a window is a good idea. Nothing to see coming into BKK.

Most Emirates flights are pretty full, especially to BKK, so I wouldn't count on an empty seat, but the back is always slightly more likely.

Either way, you should have an enjoyable experience, with good food, entertainment, and service. Breaking up that flight in DXB is the perfect way to go in my opinion.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:39 am
Lux

#2 Probably just one meal towards the start of the flight. There used to be a snack e.g. chicken wrap towards the end of the flight, but I've not seen these recently.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:57 am

1. Very basic kit with only shades and socks on 2nd flight
2.Full meal about one hour after take off and then afternoon tea just before landing which last month was sandwiches and warm scone with clotted cream and jam
3. Have the forward vision camera so little benefit in window seat although if it is your first time to BKK it made be worth considering on 2nd leg.
4. I would never get seats right at the back of the 777 its just too noisy.
Old May 12, 2013, 1:23 pm

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
Originally Posted by doug7363:20738608
4. I would never get seats right at the back of the 777 its just too noisy.

4. I'd take the noise and the extra space and use my noise cncelling headphones.
Old May 12, 2013, 4:34 pm

2. You'll get lunch and then a sandwich/snack later in the flight.

3. It will be dark arriving at DXB at 20.30. There will be a lot of lights to see though, including Burj Khalifa.

4. It is louder at the back, but you're more likely to get a spare seat there, and more likely in a row of 3 than a row of 2. Take a decent pair of headphones and you'll be fine.
Old May 12, 2013, 5:48 pm

Programs: Platinum : Amex | Gold : EK Bonvoy Carlson Hilton
3. If you want to see downtown, sit on the left, otherwise it's gonna be sand... And more sand !
Old May 12, 2013, 8:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
2. One fairly substantive meal at the start of the flight (first flight). They advertised a beverage service for landing but it was really coffee and biscuits approx three hours before.

A lot of South Asians transit through Dubai, so don't be surprised if one of the meal options on the first flight is a curry. I consider that a benefit.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks All

I think I will take my chance on the Dubai flight and sit on the left by a window with noise cancelling headphones and hope that it is not full. I guess I can always keep an eye via manage my booking, though off course I'm aware not everyone pre-books seats and possibly windows for Bangkok as it will be a night flight anyway.

International - A curry would be a very good way to start a trip!

Thanks again to all of you.
Old May 13, 2013, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by Thanh Viet
3. If you want to see downtown, sit on the left, otherwise it's gonna be sand... And more sand !
Are you sure?
Coming from the Gulf, the aircraft can go straight into the airport, so to see Dubai you have to sit on the right.
80% of all flights will pass the airport on the left side, turn above the desert and go back to the airport.
Again, best views are from the right, when you pass Dubai. When the aircaft lands, downtown is on the left, but the aircraft is not high enough to give you a good view.
Old May 13, 2013, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by dusordua
Are you sure?
Coming from the Gulf, the aircraft can go straight into the airport, so to see Dubai you have to sit on the right.
80% of all flights will pass the airport on the left side, turn above the desert and go back to the airport.
Again, best views are from the right, when you pass Dubai. When the aircaft lands, downtown is on the left, but the aircraft is not high enough to give you a good view.
During my last 8 night flights, we did high approach with downtown on the right you can barely see something, and looped in the desert and made the final approach with the skyline on left...

I'm not a window guy, so I don't watch that much. I had a window last sunday because I had the whole row for me.
Old May 13, 2013, 4:19 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by dusordua
Are you sure?
I was thinking the same thing, and was going to suggest sitting on the right.
Old May 13, 2013, 6:34 pm

Ok gurus, so right it is ^

I'll pay more attention next week !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.