Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Y..tips

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2013, 7:51 am

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, BA Gold OW Emerald, A3 *G, SV Skyteam Elite
We had at some point a thread on comfortable wear - and one of the conclusions is that Jeans is the most uncomfortable pants you can wear. Anything else is more comfy, chinos, etc even a suit pant is more light and soft...
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by GigoloArt
We had at some point a thread on comfortable wear - and one of the conclusions is that Jeans is the most uncomfortable pants you can wear. Anything else is more comfy, chinos, etc even a suit pant is more light and soft...
Megabus in the Uk has just started overnight trips from Scotland to London with sleeper seats or lie flats. Get this they wont give you a blanket you get a onesey. How cool is that. And Aberdeen to London for 16 quid.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: EK,BA,QR
Originally Posted by ayeaway
Megabus in the Uk has just started overnight trips from Scotland to London with sleeper seats or lie flats. Get this they wont give you a blanket you get a onesey. How cool is that. And Aberdeen to London for 16 quid.
What on earth is a onesay
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by MyraA
What on earth is a onesay
You dress very small children in them for bed and yes they look ridiculous on adults but what the heck.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: Eurobonus, Thon Gold
Probably looks something like this:
http://www.onepiece.no/
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:36 pm

Programs: EK,BA,QR
Originally Posted by jALIg
Probably looks something like this:
http://www.onepiece.no/
Prefer PJ's. Too much of a faff going to the loo etc!
Old May 1, 2013, 11:28 pm

EK in Y

Tips:

1) Save more to travel in J

2) Get to airport early (say 3-3.5 hrs before boarding) to secure better seats (68AK, 81 AK, 67 & 80 BC/HJ....)

AVOID 41 A / K as the door interferes with your ability to stretch out fully - even though it is classified as an exit row seat.

I also dislike 41 C/H as there is usually a mass of people walking to / from the loos, sometimes bumping against your arm / shoulder.

3) It helps to have status (Gold, Plat) so you can 'waltz' up to the J or F counter with an Y ticket bypassing the massive queue already there by the time you get to the counter.

4) Wear your J/F PJ even when you are in Y. Very comfortable and nobody cares / asks anything.

5) I'd also suggest your own NCH (noise cancelling headphone) as the Y product is truly 3rd rate.

6) Early boarding to ensure locker space !
Old May 16, 2013, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Skywards Gold, Etihad Guest Gold, VS
So how was it, I hear you ask?

Sitting in the Qantas Club Lounge in BNE awaiting my domestic. So I thought I would give some feedback on my Y trip.

This is only relevant to the 004 from LHR to DXB as I took advantage of the cash upgrade I was offered on the long haul from DXB to BNE.

Re the 004, I felt "appreciated" as a Gold. I was given a personal welcome, including a handshake, from she who was running the cabin crew downstairs on the 380. She also immediately checked to make sure I had a spare seat next to me...in fact, I had all three seats of the row, 44.

Every member of the cabin crew addressed me by name, whatever was happening. I got asked first about meal choice and it was delivered first.

I was asked several times whether everything was ok and was there anything I needed. Bearing in mind I travel to OZ for fun, I am in smiley mode anyway when on these flights..that might help. I only asked for one thing.....a proper amenity pack from "upstairs" as nothing was given in Y. "I will see what I can do" turned into " Here you are, Mr dogsrock".

So I felt very well looked after.

Bearing in mind there isnt much space in Y, the only irritation was that the person in front of me immediately went into recline mode after take off. However, having the three seats made that easier for me to cope with.

I had the same level of "we look after our frequent flyers" on the 434 DXB to BNE too. Good stuff EK (although the food wasnt up to much in J on the latter flight...in fact dinner was the worst meal I have had on EK, it was awful).

Last edited by dogsrock; May 16, 2013 at 4:02 pm
Old May 16, 2013, 10:59 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by dogsrock
So how was it, I hear you ask?

Sitting in the Qantas Club Lounge in BNE awaiting my domestic. So I thought I would give some feedback on my Y trip.

This is only relevant to the 004 from LHR to DXB as I took advantage of the cash upgrade I was offered on the long haul from DXB to BNE.

Re the 004, I felt "appreciated" as a Gold. I was given a personal welcome, including a handshake, from she who was running the cabin crew downstairs on the 380. She also immediately checked to make sure I had a spare seat next to me...in fact, I had all three seats of the row, 44.

Every member of the cabin crew addressed me by name, whatever was happening. I got asked first about meal choice and it was delivered first.

I was asked several times whether everything was ok and was there anything I needed. Bearing in mind I travel to OZ for fun, I am in smiley mode anyway when on these flights..that might help. I only asked for one thing.....a proper amenity pack from "upstairs" as nothing was given in Y. "I will see what I can do" turned into " Here you are, Mr dogsrock".

So I felt very well looked after.

Bearing in mind there isnt much space in Y, the only irritation was that the person in front of me immediately went into recline mode after take off. However, having the three seats made that easier for me to cope with.

I had the same level of "we look after our frequent flyers" on the 434 DXB to BNE too. Good stuff EK (although the food wasnt up to much in J on the latter flight...in fact dinner was the worst meal I have had on EK, it was awful).
Offered a cash upgrade as a gold skywards member?!
Old May 17, 2013, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m3red
Indeed so. This was as a result of one of those e-mails a couple of weeks before my flights which I grabbed,

The flight wasn't full in either Y or J so doubt an free op-up would have occurred.

And I am glad I took it for the sleep.....if not for the food......chinese style barbecue chicken....sounded good but wasn't.!!
Old May 17, 2013, 3:02 am

Programs: BA, TK, EK
Originally Posted by m3red
Had you added your Skywards number to the booking at the point of receiving the email?

Also - a few weeks before the flight? Usually those discounted upgrade offers are a few days before, so maybe we are seeing something else here.
Old May 17, 2013, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by father_ted
Had you added your Skywards number to the booking at the point of receiving the email?

Also - a few weeks before the flight? Usually those discounted upgrade offers are a few days before, so maybe we are seeing something else here.
I added my Skywards number at the time of booking.

And the offer e-mail was dated 2nd May for the flight departing DXB on 16th May.
Old May 18, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: EK Skywards, JL Mileage Bank
Originally Posted by hongkongtom
Very occasionally Y cabin crew are "somewhat obnoxious", but in my experience 90% of the time they are polite and efficient, and its the passengers who are more often the obnoxious ones.
If you want a snack or tea or drink any time, just stretch your legs and walk down to the galley where they will be pleased to serve you and usually they have time for a chat too. My tip in Y, is to walk around a lot, which means an aisle seat is essential (or exit door seat), and watch lots of movies to make the time pass faster.
Couldn't agree more. I fly MAN-DXB-NRT fairly regularly, usually in Economy. Getting up and walking to the galley for a drink every hour or so makes my flights more comfortable, and the huge range of videos pass the time nicely. It's been well worth investing in noise reduction headphones.
Most cabin staff are friendly and helpful, and they respond really positively to friendliness and smiles. I generally get everything that I ask for, and often offers of extra services such as seat reassignments. The very occasional unfriendly or snotty crew member is not usually an issue - one of their colleagues is usually happy to help. Friendliness and smiles also seem to work with check-in staff and staff on the lounge gate - it usually gets me exit row seats and sometimes even upgrades.
With my travel pattern it's worth paying more for flex fares to maintain gold status - it would be worth it just for the formal benefits of extra miles, extra baggage and lounge access alone, but I've noticed that informal benefits such as seat reassignments and upgrades, and more attentive cabin service seem to come with gold. I've never been upgraded on a saver fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.