Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Upgrade offer (email) is it worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Folks,

I have just received an email upgrade offer from emirates and was wondering if you guys can help making the decision...

Booking CPH-DXB-BLR-DXB-CPH (in Y saver for onward/Flex return)
Upgrade CPH-DXB for approx 450 Eur/person (its a 6 hour flight), no chauffeur-drive at CPH, no lounge at DXB (there is a 4+ hour layover at DXB)...
2 pax on PNR so 880 EUR in all for one segment upgrade...

Methinks its expensive, have no status on skywards(okay blue, but its not really a status), so chance of an op-up is zero...

what do you guys say ?

Edit: Miles for booked class (i.e. Y)

Last edited by parashar.g; Mar 6, 2013 at 2:40 am Reason: Additional info
Old Mar 6, 2013, 3:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

On a pure value basis it sounds ok based on how much a business return to BLR would cost, but as far as whether it is worth it to you, that is a value judgement that you are best placed to answer
Old Mar 6, 2013, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your input Dave Noble!
Old Mar 6, 2013, 3:40 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
On a pure value basis it sounds ok based on how much a business return to BLR would cost, but as far as whether it is worth it to you, that is a value judgement that you are best placed to answer
There is a specific thread for this.

Dave is spot on. I'd look at the cost of the trip in business and assess the value. Depends how flush you are feeling too I guess.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 4:27 am

The flights oversold in Y but open in J/F so they would rather get more revenue out of you than opup for free. I have heard of cases where people have declined the offer and got an opup at the gate.

Having said that... on a previous oversold Y from DXB-LHR I got the offer for AED1800 and declined however did not get an opup (and the flight was packed all classes).

Good advise from other above.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks m3red , eckhaya...

op-up at the gate is not a realistic scenario since I have no status with EK :-)

Thanks for your take on the offer !
Old Mar 6, 2013, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Got the same email for CPH-DXB

I personally dont think it is worth it for 6 hour flight. But Ill let you know if they offer an opup at the gate. =)
Old Mar 6, 2013, 7:05 am
Original Poster

@DreamTrip - All the best !!, Do let us know if you get the op-up
PS: Welcome to Flyertalk !
Old Mar 12, 2013, 3:02 am

I made a booking for my wife and i under 1 booking from Man -BKK return. since making the booking, I upgraded on the final leg using Miles, So we now have separate booking numbers. My wife yesterday received an Email from Emirates asking Upgrade your flight for only GBP 436.00‏!!!! (which is the 1st leg on EK20 14/3
Just a Couple of points. At £436, Its not such a good offer, I had a Upgrade offer from Heathrow to Dubai for 10,000 miles, But thats a few years ago.
Another point, going off topic, We are travelling as a couple and when they made the change with the booking when i up-graded, maybe there is a risk that they may not give us seats together on the flight due to no seat guaranteed when pre-booking seats, So regarding the offer of the up-grade, it might have been better for emirates to have noted that we were travelling has a couple and sent the offer to both of us, Even though we would not use the offer.

I may give Emirates a call to make sure that they treat both bookings as one and travelling as a couple
Old Mar 12, 2013, 3:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Why don't you just go online and select seats ? That way you can easily be sat together
Old Mar 12, 2013, 3:17 am

We have selected the seats from their web site but from past experience, I have not been given the seat that i selected, So what was 1 booking reference number, we have now 2 booking reference numbers and more change of been separated.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: OWS, *A G
As a data point, I got the email last night for my 28MAR flight EK127 DXB-VIE as a silver for AED 2569

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.