Wiki Posts
Search

To the nearest hour....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2013, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Plat, OWE (BA), *A Gold (TK), EY Gold*
Originally Posted by GigoloArt
Just come and meet us in person at one of the great DO we have every year. Then you could learn about the person behind each person's pseudonyms. You are in the region right? Just a hop from DOH!
Would love to - would be interesting to share some [real] experiences from the last 8 years in the region at the mercy of EK/EY (and most recently QR, amongst others).
Old Jan 3, 2013, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by SimpleDXB
Might explain why I'm top tier across 4 airlines / alliances and second top tier on numerous others....? Knucklehead.
Didn't realise that there were so many alliances. Must be missing something...
Old Jan 3, 2013, 4:38 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Why be a hater? Minimum monthly MENA to US West Coast, not even taking into consideration any Oceana and SE Asia flights...

Might explain why I'm top tier across 4 airlines / alliances and second top tier on numerous others....? Knucklehead.

And re my experiences setting the metric, I'm not the one issuing the real-time OTD figure - this comes from Emirates and is displayed prominently in EKHQ where the crew check-in for their flights. Again - why be a hater? My question is perfectly pertinent, and I am quite sure if you flew EK regularly you would be experiencing regular delays

- the OTD figure speaks for itself.
You question the credibility of other posters on this blog.. I question the credibility of your assertions. You don't like it, I see, when you get a taste of your own medicine
But do try and avoid abuse when challenged. It's not difficult to disagree without resorting to abuse...

I don't think you even understand what the OTD Percentage on the board that you keep referring to means. Percentages have a denominator... can you tell me what the denominator is in the percentage you quote and what the time metric is? ( hint: there are two
dimensions) Explain, and I'll gladly explain to you in return why many EK frequent flyers do not experience regular departure delays in their flying patterns.

Last edited by rathin100; Jan 3, 2013 at 4:48 am
Old Jan 3, 2013, 5:36 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Would love to - would be interesting to share some [real] experiences from the last 8 years in the region at the mercy of EK/EY (and most recently QR, amongst others).
I have been flying EK quite regularly since inception and whilst I've had the odd delay here and there, they have been pretty reliable for me. I do not count 30 minute push back delays as being that as long as I arrive within 20 minutes of the scheduled time. Its not the Shinkansen, you can't expect flights to run on the minute, there are other factors at play.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 5:46 am
Original Poster

The OTD figure (%) is the percentage of flights that have pushed back within 15mins of their block departure time - this is an industry recognised standard for calculating OTD.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Didn't realise that there were so many alliances. Must be missing something...
Etihad, Emirates and Qatar are not (yet at date) part of any alliance. What exactly are you missing? Combined with *A, OW, ST etc it is possible to be top tier across 4 airlines / alliances.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:24 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
The OTD figure (%) is the percentage of flights that have pushed back within 15mins of their block departure time - this is an industry recognised standard for calculating OTD.
Err.. On this board you keep talking about in the crew room that you see the info on....

Please understand that There are Two dimensions, as I said in my post. Let me explain the second dimension.

OTD. From when? Beginning of yeaR? Beginning of day? Beginning of week? Beginning of hour?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Zol
I have been flying EK quite regularly since inception and whilst I've had the odd delay here and there, they have been pretty reliable for me. I do not count 30 minute push back delays as being that as long as I arrive within 20 minutes of the scheduled time. Its not the Shinkansen, you can't expect flights to run on the minute, there are other factors at play.
Lol you must work for Emirates, Zol, otherwise how can you possibly look at this issue in this way!
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Zol
I do not count 30 minute push back delays as being that as long as I arrive within 20 minutes of the scheduled time. Its not the Shinkansen, you can't expect flights to run on the minute, there are other factors at play.
I agree, even if there is a delay most times you make it up inflight, and arrive around 15mins from scheduled arrival time.

The posters location is in DOH, so as long as you get off a plane at DXB and
make it onto your connecting flight as promised with no snags (offloaded or no baggage arriving at the other end). I don't see any issue with what EK's one time performance is. Right?

In my experience yes, I have had many delays, and the hours I spent circling over DXB to land would probably get me through a few good movies, but over all my EK flights in 2012, I only got offloaded once (had 75min connecting time). And another time arrived at my destination with luggage that didn't make the connection. Thats not bad with the amount of flights they are running at peak hours. But, they were always on EK18 (known for delays)
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:42 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by rathin100
Lol you must work for Emirates, Zol, otherwise how can you possibly look at this issue in this way!
I wish, then I could fly for cheap and my bank balance would have had a few more zeros
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:09 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
I have flown on EK several hundred times since mid 2006 and only experienced 3 real delays on departure as far as I can recall. Twice when aircraft went tech and had to be replaced and once when we were delayed more than an hour. Anything less than an hour I personally don't count because I do not want my blood pressure to rise any further than it is already and delays of less than an hour on arrival do not usually end up as missed connections or great inconvenience so I say to myself "why worry about something that I cannot control and that does not mean much in the grand scheme of things anyway". I am more concerned about other aspects of EK's service than this (such as the recent disappearence of real Flex awards in F which massively limits access to award tickets in F) and am grateful for their safety record.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 4:01 am

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
My longest delay was 5 hours MAN-DXB December due to tech problem and consequent offloading of 39 pax (it took them ages to locate their bags)
Most flights with EK I've been delayed at least an hour every time.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 6:51 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by daisymay2
My longest delay was 5 hours MAN-DXB December due to tech problem and consequent offloading of 39 pax (it took them ages to locate their bags)
Most flights with EK I've been delayed at least an hour every time.
This seems highly improbable. You are saying most of your flights are 2x+ worse than EK's average?

If EK is at a 67% average of departure with a 20 minute delay, they are likely 80%+ within a delay up to 1 hour, just an interpolative conservative guess, probably more like 90%. But, your own experience is a less than a 50% record of a 1 hour delay?
Old Jan 5, 2013, 7:11 pm

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
Yes and getting worse. I fly the A380 frequently MAN-DXB. Notorious for delays - someone said that on this thread...........
Old Jan 5, 2013, 7:27 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by daisymay2
Yes and getting worse. I fly the A380 frequently MAN-DXB. Notorious for delays - someone said that on this thread...........
Is the problem the aircraft arriving late into MAN?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.