Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EK413 SYD-DXB 11 Nov 2012

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2012, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

EK413 SYD-DXB 11 Nov 2012

Has anyone read the news about the engine failure last night out of SYD?
Couldn't figure out the rego from Fligtradar24 (it's either delayed or something is wrong).

http://www.news.com.au/travel/world/...-1226514824688

Last edited by eightblack; Nov 11, 2012 at 3:46 pm
Old Nov 11, 2012, 3:45 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
I have. I love how the Australian media tend to exaggerate anything to do with air travel "i.e. the Emirates staff were running around..." and then one article was critical of the staff not making announcements in Arabic.

I know if it was me I'd want the flight crew to be fully focussed on flying the plane.

Lets be thankful the aircraft and passengers landed safely back in Sydney. Be interested to see if this plane is fitted with RR or GE engines.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 3:49 pm

It would be GE as i dont believe any emirates A380's have the trent engines on them.

The Aussie media really are terrible when this happens. Talking to passengers after the event and getting their uninformed opinions is silly. God forbid the facts and people doing their jobs correctly should get in the way of a good beat up story.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Aren't alll EK A380 engines GP7200?

It reminded me of the 10-year old incident ex-MEL (EK405) but that was a B777 engine going bust on take off.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 3:52 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Originally Posted by Firemansam
It would be GE as i dont believe any emirates A380's have the trent engines on them.
You're absolutely right (I should have done a little more research). The EK website refers to all A380 aircraft being fitted with engines from the GP7200 engine alliance (GE and Pratt & Whitney)
Old Nov 11, 2012, 3:55 pm

Sensationalism - par for the course

Originally Posted by eightblack
I have. I love how the Australian media tend to exaggerate anything to do with air travel "i.e. the Emirates staff were running around..." and then one article was critical of the staff not making announcements in Arabic.
It is these same writers, I hesitate to call them journalists, who hold their hand out expecting a free ticket or upgrade on the promise of writing a positive account or article on their travel.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 4:01 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Originally Posted by Aspen
It is these same writers, I hesitate to call them journalists, who hold their hand out expecting a free ticket or upgrade on the promise of writing a positive account or article on their travel.
I agree. And this nugget of journalism from The Telegraph in Sydney
"DISTRESSED passengers told how they survived a mid-air emergency last night when an Emirates A380's engine exploded at 10,000 feet and forced it to turn back for an emergency landing"
Did the journalist know if the pilot in command declared an emergency (i.e. made a Pan-Pan-Pan or Mayday call), do they have witnesses who saw "an engine explode" and while I know it would have been very stressful for many, an aircraft as advanced as an A380 is designed to handle a self-contained engine failure.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
http://m.theaustralian.com.au/news/e...-1226514824688

Read the news!!
Old Nov 11, 2012, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Same semi-writers that come up with the headlines for today tonight and current affair.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 5:12 pm

I agree. And this nugget of journalism from The Telegraph in Sydney
"DISTRESSED passengers told how they survived a mid-air emergency last night when an Emirates A380's engine exploded at 10,000 feet and forced it to turn back for an emergency landing"
You forgot to highlight EXPLODED. Could argue for EMERGENCY too.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
This "newspaper" believes in charging to read their 'high quality' journalism online (i.e. the "paid firewall") so I, and a lot of other Australians, refuse to visit it. Unfortunately The Age, SMH, etc. are going the same way next year.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 5:59 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Plat; Virgin Aust Plat;

I know if it was me I'd want the flight crew to be fully focussed on flying the plane.

Lets be thankful the aircraft and passengers landed safely back in Sydney. Be interested to see if this plane is fitted with RR or GE engines.
I agree totally with the general sentiment here about the lamentable reporting of stuff like this.

But the article quoted a passenger complaining about announcement not being made in Arabic. If there was an announcement in English to the effect "its OK, under control", and it seems that there was, eventually, there is no excuse for also making the announcment in the language of a good % of the passengers and/or the home language of the airline. I had an incident on a Malev plane and an announcment was made in Hungarian (I think) and that's all. I was rather concerned, as the passengers didn't react well to the Hungarian version!

And the senior FA would be making the first (and possibly 2nd, 3rd) announcment. Pilots would be flying the plane and maybe take the mike later. Just like QF32.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:21 pm

Programs: EK Platinum, EY Silver
Instead of lamenting about journalism standards does anyone have any more information about what actually happened?

Also, while journalists exaggerate, passengers who have just seen an engine on fire probably thought the worse and may have even thought the engine had exploaded. Who knows, with all the movies/incidences of airplane accidents people's imagination can run wild.

I had a scary incident on take off from DXB in December 2010 on a 777ER when there was a dull thud/explosion and the engine caught fire. Half the passengers did think the engine exploaded given the sound and vibration. It was pitch black and there were flames streaming from the port side engine. If you are a person who doesn't fly often and dont know much about aviation you could well think the engine had exploaded in a similar situation. In fact there was a panicked passenger who shouted out if the 'plane was going down' 20 mins into the incident as there had been no annoucement from the flight deck.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:25 pm

Programs: EK Platinum, EY Silver
Originally Posted by RooFlyer
And the senior FA would be making the first (and possibly 2nd, 3rd) announcment. Pilots would be flying the plane and maybe take the mike later. Just like QF32.
When I complained to my brother who is a captain at EY at the lack of information from either the FA's of the flight deck during my above incident (we were told nothing at all, even after landing) he said the FA's cannot say anything if there is an emergency situation unless that captain has told them to do so. Not sure if other airlines follow a similar policy, assume they do as only the flight deck will know what really is going on. He then went on to argue that if there was an issue with an engine during take off, the captain and first officer would be trying there best to get the jet back on ground instead of worrying about the passenegers mental state, fair enough I guess!
Old Nov 12, 2012, 1:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
A380 returns to Sydney with engine trouble

Found this on the Channelnewsasia.com website; did not see it posted here yet so might be interesting to know.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...236657/1/.html

SYDNEY: An engine problem forced an Emirates A380 superjumbo to turn back to Sydney, the airline said on Monday, with passengers hearing a loud bang and seeing a flash of orange.

The pilot of the Dubai-bound Airbus plane carrying 380 passengers made the decision to turn back shortly after take-off on Sunday night.

"Emirates flight EK413 from Sydney to Dubai on November 11 turned back shortly after take-off due to an engine fault," the carrier said in a statement.
I wonder if the plane really carried 380 passengers or if that was a typo, glad everyone seemed to have landed safely.

Globalist

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.