Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates Coach vs. United Economy Plus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2012, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1P; Delta GM; SP Gold; AS MVPG; FPC Premier

I have a pretty long trip coming up. LAX-MAA. Company policy is to fly coach. I'm United Premier Gold--so I could book an Economy Plus exit seat at least as far as Frankfurt and then fly Lufthansa to MAA in regular coach. Or I could book standard coach on EK. I've actually never flown EK before. I've heard EK is one of the better coach experiences--would you trade that extra leg room and bonus mileage (for *A) for a standard EK coach seat?

Thanks in advance for the thoughts.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold

Seat is better on Eco+. Avod may be better on emirates depending what kind of plane united is flying. Food slightly better on emirates. Free booze on emirates.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 5:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
In economy, I would probably always choose an airline on which I have status over a marginally better Y product on an airline where I have no status. The difference in hard product won't be enormous, but service (depending on individual crew) could be much better.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 10:41 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Is entertainment important to you? Some LH flights to India (9+ hours long) still don't have acceptable IFE. The same could be said of some EK flights, but those are only 3.5 or so hours.
On the other hand, 17 hours in Y is never pleasant, and you would be doing that twice between LAX and Dubai.

I would say go with *A, but if you see yourself flying this route again maybe try EK next time?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 2:40 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Exec Plat (2MM)
Originally Posted by ung1
In economy, I would probably always choose an airline on which I have status over a marginally better Y product on an airline where I have no status. The difference in hard product won't be enormous, but service (depending on individual crew) could be much better.
As someone who is elite on both airlines, I would say fly EK.

UA has some of the worst flight attendants in the world and the food is very ordinary. Also, UA does not provide complimentary booze on flights across the Atlantic.

The seats on UA will be marginally wider, but that's it.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 2:54 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
LH has an early morning departure from FRA to MAA, so you need to enforce a 23 hours layover

I would go with EK on this one... Check if SQ has a good connection via SIN, their Y product should be very good too, and you earn *A miles.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1P; Delta GM; SP Gold; AS MVPG; FPC Premier
Originally Posted by Budley
As someone who is elite on both airlines, I would say fly EK.

UA has some of the worst flight attendants in the world and the food is very ordinary. Also, UA does not provide complimentary booze on flights across the Atlantic.

The seats on UA will be marginally wider, but that's it.
It's really the pitch the legroom that I'd be more concerned about. Is the legroom in Y about the same between E+ on UNTD and EK's Y product? Thanks again.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by joshc40
It's really the pitch the legroom that I'd be more concerned about. Is the legroom in Y about the same between E+ on UNTD and EK's Y product? Thanks again.
Beeing United Premier Gold and Emirates Skywards Gold I can compare the seats in Economy: E+ has a better legroom than EK's Y product.
But the leg room on EK's 777 and 380 is not bad.
Personaly I would choose EK for the better service and better IFE.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 8:20 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Looks like you are Gold now and this trip might make you a Plat in United. So stick with United or some other *A airline. Yes it is true that, UA does not have free beer/wine in Y and their IFE is much worse as compared to EK, but food is surprisingly as good or sometimes better than EK.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by hyho61
but food is surprisingly as good or sometimes better than EK.
Are you joking?

Food on UA Economy is much less in quantity and quality. I can not hear it anymore: chicken or pasta?
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:52 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by dusordua
Are you joking?

Food on UA Economy is much less in quantity and quality. I can not hear it anymore: chicken or pasta?
The one time I flew EK Y I wasn't overly impressed with the food. Frankly, when flying on an airplane, especially Y, I don't base too much on the food to be had, as it is universally mediocre.

Nothing in EK Y, other than exit seats, will compare to the legroom of a Y+. EK Y is better than UA Y, UA Y+ is better than EK Y. EK IFE is better than just about anything else in the sky, but if your flight has UA IFE it is adequate.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 2:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
I would go for E+ in UA over Y in EK. On its 777 they have 10 across vs 9 on UA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.