Search

New IFE. New Plane

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2012, 4:19 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
New IFE. New Plane

I jumped on my regular SIN-MEL flight last night and lo and behold, a brand new plane (EGY, delivered 2 weeks ago) and would you believe, the new IFE system fitted through out. I was quite excited indeed! Thought I should take some snaps. I've been getting the old IFE lately - so I was delighted when I saw it.

The new system is so, so, so much better than the old I cant even begin to tell you. Amazing. And blisteringly fast. Those of you who have an i-thingy, will understand "coverflow". Well, all you do is swipe your hand from left to right and voila, all the movies, TV shows or music just scroll across the screen/controller.

The large controller is great to use, however I struggled with the smaller in seat controller (but I am sure it just takes time to get used to). And everything is touch screen as well, which works exceptionally well.

I couldn't believe just how good the screen was in F. But even in Y, the seat back screen is enormous. Any kid would be in seventh heaven.

Excuse the photos. Taken using my iPhone. I have no idea how to use it

Old Sep 20, 2012, 4:29 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Are the screens in F bigger? Kind of looks the same size as before from the pic.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 4:36 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ung1
Are the screens in F bigger? Kind of looks the same size as before from the pic.
I reckon it is a little bigger - as I just compared it to other photos I have. I'll find out though and report back...
Old Sep 20, 2012, 8:43 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Managed to use them in the F suite last week from DXB to LGW. The screen is brilliant. The handheld touchscreen controls are a bit of a pain though. I still prefer a hardware remote.

The old touchscreen tablet like control unit also came with a analog control unit . I used to use it most of the time rather than the touchscreen remote pad. You could use it even without looking at the screen as I knew all the controls and there are physical buttons to press.

Volume, pause etc.

With the new mobile phone size control unit (as in the first picture posted by eightbalck), I find it not as easy as the old one. It is not easy to increase or decrease the volume for example.without using the touchscreen as there are no buttons for this. (This was possible in the old controls)

The tablet size main control unit is nice just like an ipad.

Last edited by ukdoctor; Sep 20, 2012 at 11:36 am
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:09 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
What aircraft?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 9:53 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by rathin100
What aircraft?
77W
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Thx

So, do you know if same lie flats 2. 3. 2 but new IFE? Or the A380 flatbed? (I'm taking about the business class cabin, sorry for not clarifying before)

Thx
Old Sep 20, 2012, 3:35 pm

Believe they put this very new aircraft on this route yesterday as it made a side trip to Adelaide for promotional reasons, they had the local media on board so i guess they wanted the newest plane out there?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 4:31 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rathin100
Thx

So, do you know if same lie flats 2. 3. 2 but new IFE? Or the A380 flatbed? (I'm taking about the business class cabin, sorry for not clarifying before)

Thx
Same lie flats as standard. You raise a good point though - EK's J seat on the 777 is not competitive to either EY or QR, and certainly not between many of its Asian carriers. When the QF partnership kicks off in April next year, there will be people like me who will be able to choose either EK or QF metal (and on all the QF metal they will have their new Skybed - which is 180 degrees flat). If I'm going to get tier miles on those QF flights, and get to use the QF F lounges (due to Emerald status), then it might become a no brainer...
Old Sep 20, 2012, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by eightblack
Same lie flats as standard. You raise a good point though - EK's J seat on the 777 is not competitive to either EY or QR, and certainly not between many of its Asian carriers. When the QF partnership kicks off in April next year, there will be people like me who will be able to choose either EK or QF metal (and on all the QF metal they will have their new Skybed - which is 180 degrees flat). If I'm going to get tier miles on those QF flights, and get to use the QF F lounges (due to Emerald status), then it might become a no brainer...
Thanks. Wishful thinking on my part i thought they had decided to upgrade their LH fleet to best in class

I've stopped flying them unless I need to go to some small European town/ill served African country since I moved to BKK, in large part because, as you say, I get better hard product on most routes ( and, at the margin, poor elite benefits in J and appalling station management in BKK )-- so would review if they were upgrading.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 4:43 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
I had the new equipment on my flight DXB-GLA last month. While it looks great, it was very problematic. When I first got onboard the screen would continuously freeze every couple of seconds. (Video and Audio). After it got restarted by the crew it seemed to be okay. After a nap and some food I woke up an hour before landing to find the small iPod Touch style device, as well as the tablet didnt switch on, and I could only control the screen but getting up and tapping it. Slightly annoying.

Pics ahoy mind you...

Old Sep 21, 2012, 8:54 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Was pleasantly surprised by this on my flight to LHR.

It made my connecting AA flight feel like walking into the last century.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:40 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold | South African Airways Voyager Gold
Will EK0029 have the new IFE? (DXB-LHR)

When my ticket was originally booked it showed the flight was on a 773ER. I see it has changed to an A388. Is it a new delivery or operational change? Will I get this new IFE?

Thanks
Old Sep 25, 2012, 8:08 pm

Xxxxx

Last edited by jiggyjig; Nov 25, 2012 at 7:24 pm
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:38 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jiggyjig
Was on a 77W yesterday that had it. Expertflyer code for flight was 73V which I hadn't seen before - but not sure if it's related.
Its not directly related but all aircraft with the new IFE are either 73V or 73M. A6-EGP and onwards deliveries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.