Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

What's the most annoying EK passenger you have seen?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the most annoying EK passenger you have seen?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2012, 1:38 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Exec Plat (2MM)
Originally Posted by CAlex
What if the guy just wants to look outside the window for 10 hours? If you want to sleep, you can always use eye-shades. If you want to watch a movie in a cinema-like environment, an airplane might not be the best place for it.
I agree completely.

I am a fairly responsible person, born and bred in the UK, with manners to match, and do not go out of my way to antagonise people. But sometimes, when I am reading, a little extra light makes all the difference to me. That's what I pay for.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 5:52 am

Programs: DL 1MM Platinum, UA 1k, HH Silver, BonVoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Oneworldplus2
OT in regards to Emirates, but
1) I recently flew TG F, and the FA's were pretty good at closing the shades. Almost OCD about it, but in a good way.
2) I don't know if EK has any 787's on order, but they come with electronic shades. Just call FA and they'll be able to take care of it. I don't know about Airbus and what they have now or into the future, but l'm sure it will make it's way there.
In Y, it is also the reading lights that are a pain on the long haul flights when everyone has the shades down, but there is some joker who continues to read the whole flight - always sitting right in front of me! LOL, i guess it is/was worse when the movie is beamed on the screen in front of the cabin with no in seat entertainment, but it always bugged me!

I've also sat near "busy" business guys that think this is the time to shred reams of paper by ripping them in half and half and half...man! Save it for the paper shredder, I'm trying to sleep!
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:56 am

Programs: EK, BA, EY, SQ, IHG, HH, SPG
Originally Posted by Budley
I agree completely.

I am a fairly responsible person, born and bred in the UK, with manners to match, and do not go out of my way to antagonise people. But sometimes, when I am reading, a little extra light makes all the difference to me. That's what I pay for.
No idea what born and bred in the UK has to do with anything but I do agree that whether someone likes it or not it is their choice to open a window or recline their seat or keep the light on all night. It is part of the offering and what you pay for, I can't see how these habits count as "most annoying". Try the guy who sat next to me on a long hall flight and literally sh@t his pants now that is annoying!
Old Aug 11, 2012, 9:27 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, EK Gold
Originally Posted by Budley
I agree completely.

It is not my intention to hijack this thread but:

I fail to see the relevance of where one is born or bred.

I understand that it is not your intention to antagonize people, but I for one have taken this to mean that people who are born and bred in the UK have better manners than those from other countries. Sometimes it is this superior attitude (unintentional, I'm sure) that may rub others in the wrong way.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:24 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Solitaire
It is not my intention to hijack this thread but:

I fail to see the relevance of where one is born or bred.

I understand that it is not your intention to antagonize people, but I for one have taken this to mean that people who are born and bred in the UK have better manners than those from other countries. Sometimes it is this superior attitude (unintentional, I'm sure) that may rub others in the wrong way.
Hmmm, I read the born and bred and manners to match comments as code for passive aggression
Old Aug 12, 2012, 1:59 am

Programs: Star GOLD, EK SIlver
Originally Posted by Oneworldplus2
OT in regards to Emirates, but
2) I don't know if EK has any 787's on order, but they come with electronic shades. Just call FA and they'll be able to take care of it. I don't know about Airbus and what they have now or into the future, but l'm sure it will make it's way there.
Since mid 2011 all EK 777 come with electronic shades, but Im not sure whether FA can operate them from distance
Old Aug 12, 2012, 2:01 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by ekfb
Since mid 2011 all EK 777 come with electronic shades, but Im not sure whether FA can operate them from distance
The shades can be operated centrally by the crew if needed...
Old Aug 20, 2012, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Travel Quest
Not much with passengers, more annoyed with crew/check-in agents.

Specially in DXB.

1)A valid Visa is in my passport , multiple entry, for UK/Schengen, yet I have to wait for 10-15 minutes till they call a Senior for Visa check. Can't they read the documents written in simple English on their own?

2)I have dxb residence. I am asked by check-in agents about my visa , mainly sectors DXB-Gulf countries, and agent already knows I get it on arrival using their tools!! Sometimes I also had to wait 10-15 minutes for the Senior to do a visa check. In some cases, I am not allowed to board because I have no visa (happened with EK and FlyDubai). I then simply fly with the national carrier of the country, no questions asked and I get my visa in the airport. Unfortunately, there is no way to hold agents accountable for their actions, if they say you do not get visa on arrival (just to be on the safe side), that's it, you lose your flight, they don't give you written confirmation and you have no rights!

3) As many of you may already know, Dxb residence becomes invalid if you leave the country for more than six months. Sometimes I am asked, on the sector back to DXB, when I last left Dubai and I say "one week " or "two weeks". I get further questioned "where is the exit stamp" and I tell them that I use Electronic Gate. Then, I am asked to show them this E-gate card (I wonder what benefit does this bring to show the card).
At the end of the day, My outbound trip DXB-Wherver was taken on EK, with your airline, a few days or weeks back . You have all the details. It's the same Ticket !!!

All this adds more disappointment and frustration for me as a customer (Ex-Silver)

Are you a Pakistani or Indian national? I have friends who are passport holders of either of these countries and they frequently receive added security measures such as the ones you mention above, I suppose for counterterrorism risk management.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by EK029
Are you a Pakistani or Indian national? I have friends who are passport holders of either of these countries and they frequently receive added security measures such as the ones you mention above, I suppose for counterterrorism risk management.
WHOA calm down. This is nothing to do with anything apart from border control.
Any airline anywhere in the world that delivers a person to a country without a valid VISA will at their own expense need to get them out of that country.

I hold UK and Australian passports and live in Thailand where all my family are yet I still get a grilling at GLA every 3 weeks when I leave or enter that airport.

I did befor but dont now get pissed off about it. Now its just a thing I do to keep some jobsworth employed.

OK bring on the slagging

Last edited by ayeaway; Aug 20, 2012 at 2:36 pm
Old Aug 20, 2012, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by ayeaway
WHOA calm down. This is nothing to do with anything apart from border control.
Any airline anywhere in the world that delivers a person to a country without a valid VISA will at their own expense need to get them out of that country.

I hold UK and Australan passports and live in Thailand where all my family are yet I still get a grilling at GLA every 3 weeks when i leave or enter that airport.

I did but dont now pissed off about it now its just a thing I do to keep some jobsworth employed.

OK bring on the slagging

You get a grilling at Glasgow airport when travelling on an EU passport? Your passport must be special
Old Aug 20, 2012, 2:56 pm

You get a grilling at Glasgow airport when travelling on an EU passport? Your passport must be special
No they are just doing the job.

When you enter a country you must be allowed to be there, I can tell you that an EU passport in Asia means squat, use yours for holidays in spain.

I work offshore oil/gas and do this trip home EVERY 3 WEEKS so I do know it.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 3:13 pm

No they are just doing the job.

When you enter a country you must be allowed to be there, I can tell you that an EU passport in Asia means squat, use yours for holidays in spain.

I work offshore oil/gas and do this trip home EVERY 3 WEEKS so I do know it.
Thank you for your insinuation there. Although sweet it is rather misinformed as you do not know my travel patterns.

However for you to get such a grilling is unusual and far from the norm. Perhaps your travel documents in particular warrant further investigation for it to happen so regularly.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 3:23 pm

Thank you for your insinuation there. Although sweet it is rather misinformed as you do not know my travel patterns.

However for you to get such a grilling is unusual and far from the norm. Perhaps your travel documents in particular warrant further investigation for it to happen so regularly.
Who said so regulary? I hope a moderator will kick soon as you are doing my head in.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 3:25 pm

Who said so regulary? I hope a moderator will kick soon as you are doing my head in.

I still get a grilling at GLA every 3 weeks when i leave or enter that airport.

Anyway, there is nothing else left to be said so I suggest in the interests of keeping this thread on topic we move on.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:56 pm

I'll add one that annoys me and happened to me recently.

When reclining in the sleeperette seats/economy seats, and you tilt the head rest forward to "perfect" you position, the person behind you gets up and pulls your seat/rests on it just to get out of his seat! Causing you spill the drink your sipping/jerking you back and waking you up/moving the head rest so that your not in a comfortable position anymore. That really pisses me off! Especially when they can lean on the armrests for support and avoid bothering anyone else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.