Search

Upgrading DXB-FRA or FRA-DXB ??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2012, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards, PIAAwards Plus Diamond, HHonours, SPG, IHG
Upgrading DXB-FRA or FRA-DXB ??

Hi guys,

Planning to upgrade DXB-FRA or FRA-DXB from Y to J. Normally I would choose outbound when flying west simply because it will be a longer flight + the return legs are overnight flights so I just sleep the flight away rather than enjoy EK J class. However, the aircraft shown on DXB-FRA is a 777-200 while on the return leg it is a 777-300ER. I don't want to waste miles so have to be choosy.

Is 777-200 J on EK worth upgrading to or is it in the same league as A330 ?

Any help will be appreciated

regards
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:39 am

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, BA Gold OW Emerald, A3 *G, SV Skyteam Elite
As a frequent traveler I would always choose the night leg to upgrade. I just hate to fly Y at night times.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:17 am

I have to admit I do not understand which EK 777-xxx model has which business class seat installed, but the 777-xxx that flies the night flight FRA-DXB looks fine in biz-class (some slippery slope stretcher seat).

Avoid like the plague the A332 that serves the DXB-FRA 03.40 am flight. Horrible, an EK disgrace to use that plane on a long-haul flight!!! It is a run down plane with close to zero entertainment and horrible "recliner" seats in biz.

The very nice lounge ladies in FRA told me that they have lots of complaints about the plane, and it will be replaced with a 777 at the beginning of the winter schedule.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by GigoloArt
As a frequent traveler I would always choose the night leg to upgrade. I just hate to fly Y at night times.
Agree, GigoloArt, with the exception of the A332 where the biz seat just sucks!
Old Jun 8, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
On the contrary, since I can sleep pretty well on Y seats, I always choose a day flight to upgrade. You pretty much miss the J/ F experience on a night flight.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 3:23 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jackiedada
On the contrary, since I can sleep pretty well on Y seats, I always choose a day flight to upgrade. You pretty much miss the J/ F experience on a night flight.
Or, the purpose of especially J is to get a good nightrest. Count yourself lucky if you can get a 'good' sleep in Y!
Old Jun 8, 2012, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by CalFlyer
I have to admit I do not understand which EK 777-xxx model has which business class seat installed, but the 777-xxx that flies the night flight FRA-DXB looks fine in biz-class (some slippery slope stretcher seat).

Avoid like the plague the A332 that serves the DXB-FRA 03.40 am flight. Horrible, an EK disgrace to use that plane on a long-haul flight!!! It is a run down plane with close to zero entertainment and horrible "recliner" seats in biz.

The very nice lounge ladies in FRA told me that they have lots of complaints about the plane, and it will be replaced with a 777 at the beginning of the winter schedule.
RE Calflyer's comment: Why do so many German - DXB flights have on their night legs (where you ought to get a flatbed) older planes whereas on their day flights you get the flatbeds?

Obviously, choosing which frame flies to a certain destination is a conscious decision that EK ops need to make, so can anyone explain? Is this because they need the more modern frames to other destinations once it reaches DXB?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 9:45 pm

RE Calflyer's comment: Why do so many German - DXB flights have on their night legs (where you ought to get a flatbed) older planes whereas on their day flights you get the flatbeds?

Obviously, choosing which frame flies to a certain destination is a conscious decision that EK ops need to make, so can anyone explain? Is this because they need the more modern frames to other destinations once it reaches DXB?
This is old news. From June 1 all german night flights are operated with 777 aircraft with the flatbeds.

To answer the original questione:
777-200 aircrafts have the same flatbeds in J like the 777-300 aircrafts.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 11:32 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Or, the purpose of especially J is to get a good nightrest. Count yourself lucky if you can get a 'good' sleep in Y!
Well, one thing that I can say from experience of doing several ULH to JFK, SFO and IAH is that at the end of the flight in Y, J and F, at the end of the flight it doesn't seem to make much different whether I was in Y of F - you end up with that drowsy feeling anyway
Old Jun 9, 2012, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by dusordua
This is old news. From June 1 all german night flights are operated with 777 aircraft with the flatbeds.
That's good news.

777-200 aircrafts have the same flatbeds in J like the 777-300 aircrafts.
Hence, you say that all 772 have flatbeds? I doubt. I believe 773 and 77L (as opposed to 77W) is the only flight config that has flatbeds..
Old Jun 9, 2012, 1:59 am

You mean all night flights Germany-DXB are operated by 777 with modern biz cabin? Maybe. But the problem is that DXB-FRA still is on this super-shabby A332.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by CalFlyer
You mean all night flights Germany-DXB are operated by 777 with modern biz cabin? Maybe. But the problem is that DXB-FRA still is on this super-shabby A332.
Correct, because I just saw this:

EK 44 0 FRA
10/06/12 11:00 DXB
10/06/12 19:15 332
Daily
85% / 11m F2 A2 J4 C4 I4 O7 Y7 E7 R7 W7 M7 B7 U7 K7 H7 Q7 L7 T7 V7 X7
Old Jun 9, 2012, 5:54 am
Original Poster

So from what I make of it based on the comments here, J-class seating on 777-200 is not the same as 777-300ER. It is more like the 777-300 seating. So to make the most of it, I should upgrade to be on 777-300ER rather than 777-200, correct ?
Old Jun 9, 2012, 6:00 am
Original Poster

I saw a video on youtube showing EK 777-300ER biz class. It had all those mechanical blinds etc. Do all 777-300ERs have the same biz class or should I expect the normal EK practice of surprising (read disappointing) you by bringing out their unrenovated/old/deeply-reclining product just when you decide to fly them ?
Old Jun 9, 2012, 6:15 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Originally Posted by Gandhi
I saw a video on youtube showing EK 777-300ER biz class. It had all those mechanical blinds etc. Do all 777-300ERs have the same biz class or should I expect the normal EK practice of surprising (read disappointing) you by bringing out their unrenovated/old/deeply-reclining product just when you decide to fly them ?

Not all 77Ws have the flat beds, but most do

See here for more info: http://www.theeksource.com/flyingemirates.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.