Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2012, 5:38 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Double Miles Promo - May 2012

Just received this last night.
http://ebm.e.emirates.travel/c/tag/h...GMILES%3DGOLD%

It's a member wide promo (as far as I can tell) but it seems strange that they are targeting May (but you need to book between now and the end of February).

Last edited by eightblack; Feb 16, 2012 at 5:43 pm
Old Feb 16, 2012, 6:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
I saw that too. Crazy good! I think it's for May because that's pre-peak travel period. EK seems to be having a lot more useful promotions lately. Have their loads gone down or are they getting nervous about filling all those whale jets?
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by ung1
EK seems to be having a lot more useful promotions lately.
Useful??? You must be kidding me.

These promos seem to be targeted pretty much at the upmarket leisure traveler rather than the business traveler. No business traveler can realistically book for May in February.

Just another Emirates promo that gets sent to the Recycle Bin IMHO...
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:28 pm

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Any good runs out there???
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:33 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, EK Gold
Originally Posted by B747-437B

These promos seem to be targeted pretty much at the upmarket leisure traveler rather than the business traveler. No business traveler can realistically book for May in February.

Agree. My schedules are mostly relatively predictable and while I am expecting a couple of trips in May, it is a bit too early to fix the dates in February. The offer is tempting, though. That's a lot of miles for a dollar on the competitively priced SIN-MEL route.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:36 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

I disagree. My work is project driven and I can easily plan around this promo. I know I am going to be in AUS/NZ during May anyway, so am happy to book now. For me at least, the incentive is there to make a trip at the start of the month and at the end...
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by eightblack
I disagree. My work is project driven and I can easily plan around this promo. I know I am going to be in AUS/NZ during May anyway, so am happy to book now. For me at least, the incentive is there to make a trip at the start of the month and at the end...
You're very much the exception then. I can't even recall the last time I bought a business travel ticket more than a week before the trip. Indeed most tickets are bought on the day of departure.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:44 am

Programs: BA, TK, EK
You're very much the exception then. I can't even recall the last time I bought a business travel ticket more than a week before the trip. Indeed most tickets are bought on the day of departure.
I'm sure it varies by industry and by job function - those attending tradeshows and conventions have their dates months in advance, for example. I also know a few importers who purchase longhaul flights for purchasing visits in advance to get better pricing.

Equally well there are those in reactive or 'firefighting' type roles, and when they need to be the other side of the world the only consideration is who will get them there fastest.

To me, the sign of EK's aim at the leisure market was the sales over the Christmas period, advertised directly to end-users via Skywards mailings.

Mileage promotions surely appeal somewhat to the corporate traveler who doesn't care about pricing, but might apply a little more influence to get his tradeshow travel ticketed on EK in February.

Also, from the T&C of this promo - does double base miles mean just that, or does one gain double class-of-service bonus also? Double mileage accelerator would be probably too much to ask for...
Old Feb 17, 2012, 1:12 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Originally Posted by father_ted
Also, from the T&C of this promo - does double base miles mean just that, or does one gain double class-of-service bonus also? Double mileage accelerator would be probably too much to ask for...
Have a look at this. Should explain what you receive...

Old Feb 17, 2012, 2:01 am

Jeez. 11000 base miles each way for that price???? Lucky sods.

I'm used to getting 3250 base miles on a Saver from Africa to Asia at around the same price. Nothing like flying 23 hours for 3250 miles.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 2:47 am

EK seems to be having a lot more useful promotions lately.

Exactly why I said its useful...
Old Feb 17, 2012, 3:31 am

Exactly why I said its useful...
Freeloader...
Old Feb 17, 2012, 3:40 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold

Do you know what the emirates.com bonus offer that gives you 1,000 miles is about? I haven't seen anything like that for years ... thanks. Sorry, just read the circular and seen that it is a two tier type offer.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by mrtdxb
Do you know what the emirates.com bonus offer that gives you 1,000 miles is about? I haven't seen anything like that for years ... thanks. Sorry, just read the circular and seen that it is a two tier type offer.
The 1000 mile bonus is if you book online only. In essence booking return would give you 2000 miles.

I think it is a bit difficult booking now, to travel in May. Also its not even a season, guess its a way to fill up seats and "sway" decisions towards EK. And B747 is right, its only a handful of industries really that can book that far ahead. I'm in banking and I have a trip which should be end of Feb. but since dates aren't finalised I haven't even booked yet!
Old Feb 17, 2012, 5:52 am

I wouldn't want all the 'freeloaders' who aren't paying for their tickets to take advantage of deals like this and then complain they can't redeem their 5 million miles for 10x F tickets on the same flight to LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.