Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK and Qantas - Codeshare Discussions

Old May 22, 2012, 12:54 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador

Qantas is saying in the Australian media that it is interested in forming an alliance with EK. Not sure what this might look like. And not sure if I think it's a good idea.

According to the The Age today...

A key part of Mr Hickey's focus is expected to be on forging new alliances with airlines such as Emirates, which has expressed interest in forming a code-share deal with Qantas.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/business/qa...#ixzz1vcrXQzgd

I stopped flying QF more than 10-years ago, despite my lifetime Gold status with them. EK take me virtually everywhere I want to go, so I'm not sure where QF thinks its going to plug the holes. Certainly not internationally (as far as I am concerned)

I jumped to Virgin a little while ago, and if I have to get on a QF flight domestically, I credit everything to AA

Thoughts...
Old May 22, 2012, 7:55 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by eightblack
Qantas is saying in the Australian media that it is interested in forming an alliance with EK. Not sure what this might look like. And not sure if I think it's a good idea.

According to the The Age today...

A key part of Mr Hickey's focus is expected to be on forging new alliances with airlines such as Emirates, which has expressed interest in forming a code-share deal with Qantas.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/business/qa...#ixzz1vcrXQzgd

I stopped flying QF more than 10-years ago, despite my lifetime Gold status with them. EK take me virtually everywhere I want to go, so I'm not sure where QF thinks its going to plug the holes. Certainly not internationally (as far as I am concerned)

I jumped to Virgin a little while ago, and if I have to get on a QF flight domestically, I credit everything to AA

Thoughts...
RTW link up? QF = Pacific leg?
Old May 23, 2012, 4:07 am

Programs: EK Skywards | SQ Krisflyer | VA Velocity | EY Guest | CX AsiaMiles
I'm not entirely sure this 'alliance' will work. After all, the alliance with EK and DJ didn't last as long as many would've expected. But if Emirates are looking at expanding into the connection market in Australia, Qantas is really the only option left for EK.

Last edited by EK433B77W; May 23, 2012 at 7:26 am
Old May 23, 2012, 5:25 am

Cool

But would there be a possibility of a later sale, or part sale, of the loss making international arm that seems frankly about to be hung out to dry?

Which in turn would come with the utterly unobtainable transpacific routes that EK wants so badly.
Old May 23, 2012, 7:54 am

I agree with the comments about Qantas; also stopped flying with them (my nation's carrier) between UK and Oz; likewise BA. I agree that the advantage to Emirates is the Oz-North America/Pacific routes Qantas has. I hope if it comes to fruition that Qantas staff get training to improve their 'she'll be right mate' attitude and service.
Old May 23, 2012, 11:52 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
They could prove useful in the same way Jet Blue is feeding their US network, QF could do the same in OZ. I know EK already flies to most major airports in Australia but many would like domestic connections to and from other international and regional airports. Not to mention the Australian Airpass
Old May 24, 2012, 3:30 am

Based in Australia I have pretty much stopped flying QF completely. Mainly fly EK for international and DJ domestically, and DJ, NZ or EK for Trans Tasman.

No idea why they would want to tie up with QF who are a second rate airline in my opinion.
Old May 24, 2012, 4:17 am

Programs: AA, UA, QF, TK, EY, NZ
If it's true that EK have been after the rights to AKL-LAX, a codeshare with QF will go somewhat towards getting the EK name on the link between Australasia and North America.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.