Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Trying to book upgradeable MAN-DXB-BNE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2012, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA- Platinum

Hi,
I'm pretty new at this so please bear with me but I'm trying to book 2 x flex Y class (econ?) on the above route at the end of June (28th is best date) and then use Skywards miles to upgrade to J.

Expertflyer shows little/no availability in J on that date for window/aisle for EK434 and EK432 but several blocked seats.

- Does anyone know if the blocked seats are likely to be released a reasonable time before departure?

- Any hints on roughly when reward seats are generally made available?

- EK432 transits through SIN, do passengers need to disembark?

- Should I be trying to do J in A380 (which I've done previously and was great) or is the 777-300ER comparable?

Thanks for any help guys, seems pretty complex to a newbie! ^
Old May 2, 2012, 3:03 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by freebo
Hi,
I'm pretty new at this so please bear with me but I'm trying to book 2 x flex Y class (econ?) on the above route at the end of June (28th is best date) and then use Skywards miles to upgrade to J.

Expertflyer shows little/no availability in J on that date for window/aisle for EK434 and EK432 but several blocked seats.

- Does anyone know if the blocked seats are likely to be released a reasonable time before departure?

- Any hints on roughly when reward seats are generally made available?

- EK432 transits through SIN, do passengers need to disembark?

- Should I be trying to do J in A380 (which I've done previously and was great) or is the 777-300ER comparable?

Thanks for any help guys, seems pretty complex to a newbie! ^
Seats should be released closer to the date, but it will all depend on EK's Inventory Management system. It has a mind of its own.

I catch the 432 often and yes, pax are required to get off the plane in SIN. The layover isnt long and if ever there was an airport that was/is pleasant to transit in, it is SIN.

On the flights I take, EK's system typically blocks row 6 (and sometimes row 8) on the 777 and then the exits in Y (as well as the bassinets/bulkheads). They leave these to the airport to manage, which means they are never released until T-24hrs (and the airport will assign them).

Best thing to do is to set up an alert on EF, so as soon as a seat opens up, it will email you. I have snagged upgrade seats this way multiple times. Worth every cent of the $10 a month you pay for the premium service if you ask me.

And J in a A380 - the thing going for you is 76 x J seats versus 42 x J seats in a 777. You may have better luck on the A380, but then again, that can work against you ex the UK, as many people want to take the new bird (rather than the old). Personally, I'm happy on the 777.

Good luck. Let us know if you need more help.

Last edited by eightblack; May 2, 2012 at 3:57 am
Old May 2, 2012, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Cool, thanks EightBlack, really helpful.
Old May 2, 2012, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eightblack
Seats should be released closer to the date, but it will all depend on EK's Inventory Management system. It has a mind of its own.

I catch the 432 often and yes, pax are required to get off the plane in SIN. The layover isnt long and if ever there was an airport that was/is pleasant to transit in, it is SIN.

On the flights I take, EK's system typically blocks row 6 (and sometimes row 8) on the 777 and then the exits in Y (as well as the bassinets/bulkheads). They leave these to the airport to manage, which means they are never released until T-24hrs (and the airport will assign them).

Best thing to do is to set up an alert on EF, so as soon as a seat opens up, it will email you. I have snagged upgrade seats this way multiple times. Worth every cent of the $10 a month you pay for the premium service if you ask me.

And J in a A380 - the thing going for you is 76 x J seats versus 42 x J seats in a 777. You may have better luck on the A380, but then again, that can work against you ex the UK, as many people want to take the new bird (rather than the old). Personally, I'm happy on the 777.

Good luck. Let us know if you need more help.
I signed up for EF, sure enough upgrade seats are released for the next few days so will need to check nearer the time.

Can I just check...

- To find an upgrade from Econ (Flex) to Business I should be searching "Business - Saver Award & Upgrade (D) "?

- I can see how to set up a seat alert for a certain seat or for 2 together etc, but not how to alert when an award seat becomes available, is this possible and if not how do you do it as mentioned above.

Cheers again!

Mike
Old May 3, 2012, 12:10 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Look at flight availability and you can set an alert clicking on one of the fare buckets. Then change from that bucket to D. ( yes you're looking for D).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.