Wiki Posts
Search

Etihad vs Finnair vs Emirates

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2012, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Etihad vs Finnair vs Emirates

Hi everyone.

We are planning a holiday in Thailand in summer 12' but we're stuck in what airline to take.

This is our options (Dep: Hamburg - Arr: Bangkok)

-----
Hamburg -> Düsseldorf Air Berlin, Boeing 737-800
Düsseldorf -> Abu Dhabi Etihad Airways, Airbus A330-200
Abu Dhabi -> Bangkok Etihad Airways, Boeing 777-300

Duration: 14 hours
Price: 1.043 USD (person)
-----
Hamburg -> Helsinki Finnair, Embraer 170
Helsinki -> Hong Kong Finnair, Airbus A340-300
Hong Kong -> Bangkok Cathay Pacific, Boeing 777-300
Duration: 16 hours
Price: 1.050 USD (person)
-----
Hamburg -> Dubai Emirates, Boeing 777-300
Dubai -> Bangkok Emirates, Airbus A380-800
Duration: 16 hours
Price: 1.130 USD (person)
-----

So: How is the airline compared? How are the airports compared? And overall what is the best option? (ALL flights are return with same airline and aircrafts and duration).
Old Apr 11, 2012, 7:37 pm
Community Director Emerita

We have forums for each of those airlines, so I am unsure where to put your thread so that it will get the best visibility and attention. I am going to move it on to Emirates in hopes that the knowledgeable people there can compare and contrast your choices.

Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:00 am

But of course, Emirates all the way
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:31 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Emirates, as it's one less flight for your luggage to get lost on. You'll have a longer wait at Dubai, but you can find somewhere nice to relax.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:36 am

Programs: SK,KL,BA
Any particular reason that you don't take AY's direct HEL-BKK flight?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 1:02 am
Original Poster

It's around 200 USD more expensive and we don't have any problem with a little longer flight duration. It's just about which airline to take? And which airport is the best? Food onboard? Onboard entertainment an so
Old Apr 12, 2012, 1:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Have u considered LH/TG 1 stop via FRA for 13 hours total which is what I would be looking at doing.

Of the 3 options proffered. I would take the EK option since I would class EK as a decent airline and only 1 stop though the 16 hours journey time sounds yucky and would prob only be doing that over LH if I was stopping over enroute
Old Apr 12, 2012, 1:47 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Take emirates, you fly a380, stay in dubai airport, which is not boring, and even economy seats are nice and the enterntainment is great.....
And on the way back, spend a few dollars for lounge visit at marhaba lounge, (DXB) you will enjoy...
Have a nice trip.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 2:06 am

Programs: QF, Skywards, SQ, Centurion
I'm with the others: Emirates would be the ideal choice for you guys. You get the fancy IFE which should minimise the '10-Abreast-Cramp'

Also, you get to fly in the A380 which is quieter.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Everyone is saying Emirates although I'm a little hooked on the Finnair/Cathay option. Mostly because it is a Nordic airline. I have been to Dubai Airport - and DXB is a nice airport. What about alcohol (and muslims laws and rules) onboard Arabic airlines such as Emirates and Etihad?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 4:21 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by BillundFlyer
Everyone is saying Emirates although I'm a little hooked on the Finnair/Cathay option. Mostly because it is a Nordic airline. I have been to Dubai Airport - and DXB is a nice airport. What about alcohol (and muslims laws and rules) onboard Arabic airlines such as Emirates and Etihad?
Both EK and EY serve alcohol onboard, and getting a drink is never a problem.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 4:24 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by BillundFlyer
What about alcohol (and muslims laws and rules) onboard Arabic airlines such as Emirates and Etihad?
... in full flow on EK, hic ....
Old Apr 12, 2012, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Ha

Well, It sounds like the best option is Emirates - but again - it's a little more expensive. We are 3 persons so that would be like 300 USD more in total. If now we are taking Finnair vs Etihad? Same price? Almost same duration...

Maybe it would be nicer to get down on ground at Abu Dhabi to stretch your legs instead of flying the long way from HEL-HKK?

Finnair/Cathay Pacific vs Air Berlin/Etihad ??
Old Apr 12, 2012, 5:09 am

Try to look at it from a more holistic position. Factor in the miles you would earn from this trip.
If your party is family then EY is the better option because you can have all the miles into 1 account (despite the massive devaluation) you'd still end up with about 20,000 which you could redeem with several airlines (including air berlin).
EK is the best option in terms of value/experience.

Having said that, have you looked at other airports? like departing Milan or Rome, fares vary greatly from country to country among the EU block, so if you don't mind a bit of side tracking check out other departure points. It might work out a bit cheaper buying separate tickets plus you'll get 2 trips for the same amount of dollars (one to a country in Europe, another to Thailand).
Old Apr 12, 2012, 6:50 am
Original Poster

I can see that a 'new' option is now on.

Hamburg -> Munich Air Berlin, Boeing 737-800
Munich -> Abu Dhabi Etihad Airways, Airbus A330-300
Abu Dhabi -> Bangkok Etihad Airways, Boeing 777-300

Duration: 13 hours.
Price: 920 USD

I think I will go for it then. I suppose Etihad isn't as great as Emirates and Qatar Airways, but i've heard that it's one of the best airlines. Hmm :/

Although, I've heard that Abu Dhabi AUH Airport is a mess. Is that right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.