View Poll Results: How should we handle each mega-thread?
Leave them the way they are
30.00%
Separate into yearly format
60.00%
Delete old and out of date content
25.00%
Something else (post suggestion below)
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Clean-up - Mega Threads

Old Feb 1, 12, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Forum Clean-up - Mega Threads

Folks

Need your help and input.

One of the issues FT faces is the something we refer to as Mega-Threads. This is where the size of the thread in terms of total posts becomes so large, it's difficult to find what you're looking for. No one wants to wade thru 20+ pages of content when they only want to know for example, what seat they may likely experience on their flight from SIN to MEL.

We have 3 such threads here. On our own little forum.

The first one is the New Routes and Changes thread. This is by far the largest and was started in Oct 2010. The thread has 1107 posts and 171,000+ views. Clearly it is popular.

My thinking is that we will split this thread now into calendar year format, so each January, we will begin a new "New Routes and Changes 2012" for example.

The next thread is The Ultimate Seating Guide. This thread started in Feb, 2005, so much of it is out of date and 7-years is a long-time for one thread to stay alive. It has 443 posts, and in terms of views, it is slightly ahead of the New Routes and Changes thread, with 185,000+

The final "mega-thread" is the Building Progress of DXB thread. This is only a year old and has 259 posts and close on 27,000 views. I'm inclined to leave this the way it is.

I'd like you to vote for what your preference would be in terms of how we handle each thread. If you also want to add something, please do that below. We'll make a decision quickly, I promise.

Many thanks

SIMON
(eightblack)
Moderator-EK Forum

Last edited by eightblack; Feb 1, 12 at 8:27 am
Old Feb 1, 12, 10:13 am

We already had someone start another thread for new routes and changes in 2012. The problem with this is that announcements for new routes take place several months before the route starts, aircraft changes and swaps take place throughout the year. While this may work at the start of the year, when you're nearing the end, one is going to have to look at two different threads if, say, a route is being upgraded from 332 to 773 on Dec 21 then 773 to 77W (Suites) on Feb 21.

I propose we retain recent information that is relevant. No one cares about what happened 4 years ago. So, it's only the last few pages of posts that are relevant. One can either start from the end of the thread and go backwards, or clean up the old info. What's important is to have contiguous information available.

I think the Ultimate Seating Guide should be completely overhauled with the latest information. If EK can give me access to all their different aircraft types for one day, I'm happy to do this
Old Feb 2, 12, 8:51 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Some should be split and some just deleted and replaced with new data;

1) New Routes and Changes - have an annual thread as suggested
2) Ultimate Seating Guide - this thread is a waste of space in my opinion, so much has changed and the fleet has expanded considerably since Feb 2005. There is a lot of information on emirates.com covering this but ideally first hand data from the EK folks themselves would be very helpful. In short, a complete overhaul and re-write.
3) Building Progress thread seems fine, only NOIR seems to be posting and its only a year old.
4) The Fleet info thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...-emirates.html started by emirates777 is getting outdated as well and needs an to updated with new fleet information.

Ideally, I would like all threads linked somehow whereby you can see the routes with the aircraft on those routes and the seating guide/ICE/hard product refurbishment etc on the aircraft serving those routes
Old Feb 2, 12, 10:12 am

Your right, some more participation on the Building of DXB n DWC would be great, it's getting lonely there.

We have the pleasure of being located, or flying an airline in a city with big/ambitious aviation plans, something we should all be proud of . We have a very good chance of having, and being part of the biggest state of the art airport in the world one day, and watching it be built up over the coming years.

When I go to other airline threads, even the ones with upcoming airports in they're cities you'll find next to no info regarding they're infrastructure. I honestly find this important, especially when an airlines inhanced product/service is passed on to the pax flying through they're host airport.

I honestly think it spices up our thread, your input would be welcome. If some of you find the thread anoying let me know, and I'll stop posting updates ASAP.
Old Feb 2, 12, 1:38 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by NOIR View Post
Your right, some more participation on the Building of DXB n DWC would be great, it's getting lonely there.

We have the pleasure of being located, or flying an airline in a city with big/ambitious aviation plans, something we should all be proud of . We have a very good chance of having, and being part of the biggest state of the art airport in the world one day, and watching it be built up over the coming years.

When I go to other airline threads, even the ones with upcoming airports in they're cities you'll find next to no info regarding they're infrastructure. I honestly find this important, especially when an airlines inhanced product/service is passed on to the pax flying through they're host airport.

I honestly think it spices up our thread, your input would be welcome. If some of you find the thread anoying let me know, and I'll stop posting updates ASAP.
Keep it up - just because people don't comment, doesn't mean nobody is looking I'm still wondering if the opening date is still 2015.... As was suggested by somebody last year
Old Feb 2, 12, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Keep it up - just because people don't comment, doesn't mean nobody is looking I'm still wondering if the opening date is still 2015.... As was suggested by somebody last year
Thanks, I'm glad the effort I put into that thread is appreciated, and you guys n gals find it interesting, that's my carrot.

The first quarter of 2013 is C3s anticipated opening date. I'll let you into a little secret just because your words were so nice to hear, the numbers 3-3-13, remember them.

Cheers
Old Feb 2, 12, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
I would echo these thoughts. NOIR, I think we are very fortunate to have this thread within the Forum and I for one, am very grateful of the work and effort you put into the content. Keep up the excellent work...
Old Feb 2, 12, 3:15 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by NOIR View Post
the numbers 3-3-13, remember them.

Cheers
Surprise surprise
Old Feb 2, 12, 3:38 pm

It is not the place of a moderator to "delete" outdated data.

Certainly post to update the data, but leave the historical record intact.
Old Feb 2, 12, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by khalid26 View Post
Surprise surprise
but then if you add up 13-03-13 it could be 11 just like if you add up 380, hmm.

Search this Thread