Interesting flight to BOM...

Old Aug 27, 11, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Interesting flight to BOM...

Flew DXB-BOM last night in Business.

Had a great purser (Raymond) who came and chatted with me for about 5 mins, about the flight etc.. He mentioned that the flight was 100% full in F, J and Y (apparently, that's quite normal for a BOM flight!)

What was interesting was that the purser said that there were only 4 golds on the flight! 1 person in Y, Me and 2 others in J and 1 chap in F. Raymond was explaining that BOM is quite unique in so far that its one of EK's top routes with regard to premium traffic, but has a relatively low proportion of elite EK flyers on board.
Old Aug 27, 11, 7:05 am

Yes, I've rarely seen more than a dozen Golds on a Mumbai flight. Helps a lot with op-ups (although I haven't had one to/from Mumbai for about a year despite being almost 50% before that).

Contrast that to some other routes like Accra, Lagos and Guangzhou where anything less than 100 Golds on a flight is considered a slow day!
Old Aug 27, 11, 10:39 am

Programs: HHonors - Diamond, AA - EXP
Originally Posted by PPS1 View Post
What was interesting was that the purser said that there were only 4 golds on the flight! 1 person in Y, Me and 2 others in J and 1 chap in F
1 in Y (1), you (1), 2 others in J (2), 1 in F (1) = 5

Doesn't matter in the slightest, but had the urge to point it out
Old Aug 27, 11, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by robofski View Post
1 in Y (1), you (1), 2 others in J (2), 1 in F (1) = 5

Doesn't matter in the slightest, but had the urge to point it out
I think the OP meant he was in the one in Y. (One in Y (me)...)
Actually, I re-read it and it does seem like 5 total. My mistake!

Also, that is quite interesting about the low numbers of golds... is it perhaps because many BOM pax fly to DXB
only rather than connecting on to far away destinations making it harder to get status?
Old Aug 28, 11, 7:21 pm

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan View Post
I think the OP meant he was in the one in Y. (One in Y (me)...)
Actually, I re-read it and it does seem like 5 total. My mistake!

Also, that is quite interesting about the low numbers of golds... is it perhaps because many BOM pax fly to DXB
only rather than connecting on to far away destinations making it harder to get status?
There are multiple flights so the ones that carry high
connections, as opposed to point-point traffic get the golds

Connection traffic out of BOM t.o EK is dropping as more non stops become available I know of very few who would fly EK biz to Europe NorthAmerica anymore in econ there are much cheaper deals on jet and kingfisher and AI. So get mainly the Africa and middle east connectors ex BOM and some captives on EK or QR to and from South America. Like yours truly who had to struggle to diversify...(it can be done but there is lethargy)

Of course you still have the Europe provincials coming into BOM ( MAN BHX HAM) on EK but that is not big volume...so I would expect 1or2 flights to BOM to have Golds but not the others....
Old Aug 28, 11, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by rathin100 View Post
I would expect 1or2 flights to BOM to have Golds but not the others....
I'm usually on EK 501 (430am departure ) out of Mumbai and 80+% of the passengers seem to be connecting onwards to European and American destinations (with a handful to Africa and even Australia strangely enough!). Very few Golds usually. I'm sure the 9am flight is more popular with the regular O&D traffic though but I've never taken it myself.
Old Aug 28, 11, 8:27 pm

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by B747-437B View Post
I'm usually on EK 501 (430am departure ) out of Mumbai and 80+% of the passengers seem to be connecting onwards to European and American destinations (with a handful to Africa and even Australia strangely enough!). Very few Golds usually. I'm sure the 9am flight is more popular with the regular O&D traffic though but I've never taken it myself.
It's changing, Sean an fast and only this year. Loads on 501 now are more for Africa (massive.... EK no 1 carrier BOM -jnb notwithstanding a direct jet flight)

Oh yes there's lots of trader traffic who do stopovers.. You are a Bombayite and you know the pax--- Boras etc... No golds there even if eligible they don't do this sort of thong.....

All goes to show how fragile the EK business is ex India....If guys like you could only get an angel to back you to get a solid Indian airline off the
ground!!!!
Old Aug 28, 11, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by rathin100 View Post
It's changing, Sean an fast and only this year. Loads on 501 now are more for Africa (massive.... EK no 1 carrier BOM -jnb notwithstanding a direct jet flight)
Interesting. I usually find no more than a handful (including myself) heading to Accra and about a dozen to Lagos off EK 501. It seems to be all ABCDs and DCBAs going to Sun Phrunsisko and Las Engeleezs.

Of course, I remember the days only a few years ago when the check-in agents at BOM used to ask me what country Accra was in, so I guess its an improvement!
Old Aug 28, 11, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by B747-437B View Post
Interesting. I usually find no more than a handful (including myself) heading to Accra and about a dozen to Lagos off EK 501. It seems to be all ABCDs and DCBAs going to Sun Phrunsisko and Las Engeleezs.

Of course, I remember the days only a few years ago when the check-in agents at BOM used to ask me what country Accra was in, so I guess its an improvement!
Really, wow! I could be wrong"..... the numbers are from the monthly pax destination compilations from dgca, by airline.... EK is constant out of BOM del maa but at 95 per cent(dreeeeeeam on, what a killer coup) from the provincials! That's all o/d traffic ex India of course....
Old Sep 2, 11, 10:54 am

Programs: SQ SPPS, EK I/O, CX DM, SU Plat, Hyatt DM, IC RA Plat, HH DM, AMX Cent
Indian Origin Paxs

I have seen something like 70% paxs on an average of Indian Origin on SFO, YYZ flights. NYC & IAH is less in comp but still high. For GRU some how now most paxs out of DEL take TK for some reason

May be RATHIN100 can shed some light. Bhajji pls tell us why if you know??

Safe Flying

EGT
Old Sep 3, 11, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by ELITEGOLDTRAVELLER View Post
I have seen something like 70% paxs on an average of Indian Origin on SFO, YYZ flights. NYC & IAH is less in comp but still high. For GRU some how now most paxs out of DEL take TK for some reason

May be RATHIN100 can shed some light. Bhajji pls tell us why if you know??

Safe Flying

EGT
You are absolutely right ref GRU SIr. five reasons, IMO

(1) Poor customer service ex Brazil by EK no attempt to build loyal
customer base no contact with elites unlike LH etc

(2) Increase in competition, abolition of EU transit
Visa and reduction ESP in J and F prices by European carriers from South America to Asia

(3) Aggressive Star alliance and Skyteam marketing and cross status recognition ex GRU I know Star Alliance so here are some specifics:

I have a choice of TK, LH, LX, Air China(yes!), SQ, SAA and at any point in time I'm able to get good and well priced combination J tickets on these airlines.
In addition TAM offers me attractive fares eg GRU-CDG And then a separate return on any *A to Asia All these returns are at least 15 per cent cheaper than EK.

(4) Earn burn is also better on *A
(5)Huge outreach effort by*A. TK in particular has been reaching us FFs though Carlson etc LH is being generous with comp ups to F for Senators going on to Asia... SQ allows us a stopover at BCN at no extra cost and onward on any SQ flight out of the EU so I can get on the A380 from London if I want to

Finally in economy I understand that EK is no longer cheapest for roundtrips and open jaws to and from Asia ...see expertflyer

the above apply roughly since end April this year.... Let's see if things
change when EK starts it's second flight in. Jan 2012
Old Sep 3, 11, 3:42 pm

Why can't I earn United Mileage Plus points anymore with Emirates? When did that change? We flew Emirates in March and we were able to.
Old Sep 3, 11, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by kevinjrwagner View Post
Why can't I earn United Mileage Plus points anymore with Emirates? When did that change? We flew Emirates in March and we were able to.
Changed in May and most EK flyers are very happy with the change. Our award availability has improved with the end of the dentist traffic, and we would never use our miles on UA/CO products anyway

Search this Thread
Search Engine: