Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK Wins Frequent Flyer Awards in NY

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2011, 6:32 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador

I was actually supposed to be in New York this week for the Frequent Traveler University (an event put on by some FT'ers, including guest appearances by Randy Petersen). But work got in the way and I'm in Germany all week.
http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p...-2011/168065/1

Skywards members may remember receiving the promo email, asking people to vote for them.

The awards EK won:

Program of the Year
Middle East and Asia/Oceania Airline

Best Promotion for Earning (Airline & Hotel)
Middle East and Asia/Oceania Airline: Emirates Skywards

Best Elite-Level Program (Airline & Hotel)

Best Customer Service (Airline & Hotel)

More than a million votes were tabulated. And I know Skywards was in attendance.

Interesting to note that the categories in which they did not win:
Best Promotion for Redemption (Airline & Hotel)
Best Redemption Ability (Airline & Hotel)

No doubt, others may feel differently!
Old Apr 29, 2011, 9:13 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Whether we like it or not I guess the above results (and number of voters) explains why EK do not feel the need to engage with with us. Why would they care about a couple of dozen perceived whingers (my words not theirs)when they can win these types of awards from a much larger group? Having said that, never say never - I will continue to provide them with personal constructive criticism and advice whenever I feel the urge or get the opportunity by way of letters, emails and survey responses. I am also happy to work with our Moderator in any way that he wishes to try to get a more formal engagement process adopted by EK so at least we can have a direct line in for our thoughts and feedback from FT.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 9:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Speaking with one university sociology course under my belt, I have to say such results are meaningless without other information, such as the motivations of organizers, means of gathering responses, demographics of people responding, etc etc.

The big flaw I see here is that EK has a lot more customers than, say, Etihad (who I ended up voting for in most of the categories). So if they asked one time flyers to vote, who probably had very little idea about the intricacies of the program but love their Skywards Blue card and voted for Skywards, the results would be skewed to favor EK.

But anyway, great PR for the airline.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Exec Plat (2MM)
Originally Posted by ung1
Speaking with one university sociology course under my belt, I have to say such results are meaningless without other information, such as the motivations of organizers, means of gathering responses, demographics of people responding, etc etc.

The big flaw I see here is that EK has a lot more customers than, say, Etihad (who I ended up voting for in most of the categories). So if they asked one time flyers to vote, who probably had very little idea about the intricacies of the program but love their Skywards Blue card and voted for Skywards, the results would be skewed to favor EK.

But anyway, great PR for the airline.
Most of the people who voted for EK probably don't have much experience with other airlines and/or are gullible enough to believe EK's own propaganda.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 10:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Budley
Most of the people who voted for EK probably don't have much experience with other airlines and/or are gullible enough to believe EK's own propaganda.
A rather sweeping assumption

Dave
Old Apr 29, 2011, 10:42 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Over the past year Skywards hasnt been bad, its only recently that things started going downhill.

So maybe they deserve the award.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 10:50 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by Xlr
Over the past year Skywards hasnt been bad, its only recently that things started going downhill.

So maybe they deserve the award.
Sort of pre-posthumously if that is not an oxymoron?
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:58 am

Programs: pants
redacted redacted

Last edited by roadrunner21; Jun 5, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.