Business Class on A330

Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Business Class on A330

No doubt this has been mentioned in other posts, but I couldn't find them.

I was recently op-up'd to bus class on a DXB-FCO flight on a 330-200. Thankfully it wasn't a middle seat, but there shouldn't be middle seats on Airbii 330/340's. It was quite uncomfortable with a very large person next to me.

I have just flown TG C class DXB-BKK on a 330, and guess what, they have 2-2-2 in bus class. And their newish product beats the pants off EK 330's.

So why would anyone pay for business class on an EK 330/340?
Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:05 am

Programs: UA, CO, AA
you paid.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:33 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
There are multiple options:
- best flight times for the route flown
- best price in C
- EK being the only airline flying to the specific destination city
- personal preference (could be)
- better quality in C than other airlines
- availability

If middle-seat in C is not ideal for single pax, for families this is a very good option. Also, very good option for upgraded pax, I'd always give up any seat in Y for a middle-seat in C
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:46 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Grace B
- Great seat pitch
- Good food
- Good wine
- Comfortable seat (IMO) to sleep in

Most EK aircraft have 2-3-2 in Business.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:18 am

a) They don't know any better
b) They don't really have a choice
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:37 am

Programs: NZ, QF
Originally Posted by cotter77
you paid.
QTD...
I was recently op-up'd to bus class ...
...UNQTD

OP didn't pay for the EK business class.

One more reason is that the A330 route is only part of passengers' itinerary (esp. intercontinental connections from GCC) and they don't mind tolerating an inferior J product on the short hop for enjoying a better J on the 'main' leg.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 2:00 am
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
The Emirates A330 is simply a bad product in all classes.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by Xlr
Relative to the rest of the fleet, yes.

Relative to some of the competition (and no, I don't mean EY/QR type competition), it isn't so bad.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 6:17 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum, Marriott & Discovery Platinum, IGH Diamond
Originally Posted by Xlr
I flown EK A330 few times and it's perfectly fine. SkyCrusers are full-flat, and allow for great sleep. Food&Champain is good enough, service is usually good, often even excellent.

I need to admit that IFE is not the greatest and restrooms are small - but it's still a nice way to travel and I'm willing to pay for it with my own money ( infact, doing it again tomorrow ).

Well, to be honest, I also do not like the vine on EK, but this is not related to plane type - and there is always enough Dom to make up for that ;-)

Certainly, I never ventured past seat 2A, the things may be different back there, but you should not have high expectations if you choose to save money and travel in C anyway.

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Apr 5, 2011, 7:04 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by El Puerco Volante

Certainly, I never ventured past seat 2A, the things may be different back there, but you should not have high expectations if you choose to save money and travel in C anyway.
That made me LOL
Old Apr 6, 2011, 3:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by cotter77
you paid.
No, it was an op up.

And, very few airlines have 2-3-2 in C on A330's.

So EK are just trying to be cute. A bit like having 3-4-3 on a 777. Squeeze the last drop of blood out of every pax.

Last edited by Grace B; Apr 6, 2011 at 3:12 am
Old Apr 6, 2011, 10:02 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

No, it was an op up.

So EK are just trying to be cute. A bit like having 3-4-3 on a 777. Squeeze the last drop of blood out of every pax.
And millions of PAX fly them every year, despite them often being more expensive than the competition.

They must be doing something right

Cheers,
Rick
Old Apr 6, 2011, 8:35 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
I flown EK A330 few times and it's perfectly fine. SkyCrusers are full-flat, and allow for great sleep. Food&Champain is good enough, service is usually good, often even excellent.

El Puerco Volante
Sadly on some of the A330s there are not Skycruisers in Fist Class only the old F seats with the legrest that comes horizontally out of the seat and backrests with funny little hoods that do not recline to a flat position. They use these, for example, on the Nairobi route.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 9:17 pm

I flown EK A330 few times and it's perfectly fine. SkyCrusers are full-flat, and allow for great sleep.
Originally Posted by mrtdxb
Sadly on some of the A330s there are not Skycruisers in Fist Class only the old F seats with the legrest that comes horizontally out of the seat and backrests with funny little hoods that do not recline to a flat position. They use these, for example, on the Nairobi route.
According to Emirates777's equipment post, all 3-class A330's have the same seating specification of Sleeperettes in F.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 11:21 pm

No, it was an op up.

Answer is: EK does get away with it.

I agree with Grace B: Only few airlines have 2-3-2 on A330/A340 aircraft. But then again, in most markets, you pay much less for an EK J-ticket than with competitors (I exclude Dubai-based travellers since they are skinned alive by EK as captive audience).

The inferior hard product in C (on many EK aircraft types) is also compensated by a fantastic marketing/branding team that successfully suggests to the world that EK is something better. Hundreds of A380 passengers travel in J- and Y-class every day, proudly knowing that only their aircraft has showers for FC passengers (not that it helps them a bit). And they tell all their friends about it.

Emirates has built an average airline (product/service) with a fantastic hype about it. They can even downgrade a superior FF program into something very average withoug seeing any impact on business (I bet).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.