Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DXB-LHR Loads Unbelievable

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2011, 9:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver, EK Gold, LH Silver, Hilton Diamond
Have you seen the current biz class fares DXB/LON/DXB?
AED 25,000 !!
Old Mar 7, 2011, 9:11 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Purdey
AED 25,000 !!
There's no shortage of people though willing to pay them - even at those fares. I caught the flight back from LHR to DXB on Sunday (EK2) and when I checked in, there were 75 out of 76 seats booked in J.

I wanted to see about upgrading from Y to J using miles. Amazingly, a seat became available but at a cost of 85 pounds (silly UK taxes).
Old Mar 7, 2011, 9:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Purdey
AED 25,000 !!
Originally Posted by eightblack
There's no shortage of people though willing to pay them - even at those fares. I caught the flight back from LHR to DXB on Sunday (EK2) and when I checked in, there were 75 out of 76 seats booked in J.

I wanted to see about upgrading from Y to J using miles. Amazingly, a seat became available but at a cost of 85 pounds (silly UK taxes).
Actually, no, very few people are probably paying that. Most people are only transiting in DXB, and pay a lot less for their ticket. For eg, SIN-LHR can be done for about AED 15,000 which is approx AED 7,500 for the DXB-LHR-DXB segments. Of course, this is the special fare, and out of DXB the cheapest fare is about AED 12,000.

But sure, there are people (look at the thread of corporate travel policy allowing EK) who do spend that much on a DXB-LHR J ticket.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 3:10 am

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, BA Gold OW Emerald, A3 *G, SV Skyteam Elite
How much would a ticket in J for BA and VS compare?
Old Mar 8, 2011, 5:54 am

Programs: Skywards, Miles & More, BA Exec Club
I just picked a random week in May and BA was £2k, VS £2,2k and EK £2,3k return.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 6:59 am

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, BA Gold OW Emerald, A3 *G, SV Skyteam Elite
Thanks for the comparison!
Old Mar 8, 2011, 7:33 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by ft101
And going up to 15 from 1st September with a 3rd daily from MAN.

EK21 arr 0655
EK22 dep 0925

I think these are arrive and depart times to/from MAN.
Marvellous! Is this a 777 or an A330?

Cheers,
Rick
Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Marvellous! Is this a 777 or an A330?

Cheers,
Rick
It's an A330-200.

I was a few minutes wrong on the times as well. They're now loaded on the website as

EK21 arr 0705
EK22 dep 0940
Old Mar 8, 2011, 3:51 pm

EK21/21 is being lined up from May 1st. Announcment perhaps on Thursday. A380 on EK19 from September (could help explain why EK21 is an A330 as it won't be as large an increase if they went 1 x 777 + 2 x A380).
Old Mar 9, 2011, 5:42 am

Programs: EK, VA, QF, AC etc
Originally Posted by rathin100
Very interesting... Im not surprised EK is packed outt of London as the transit traffic to Oz Africa and South Asia on EK is simply...HUGE!
Add me to that list. Also decent connections from DXB with flight times that differenciate from the oneworld/*alliance herd who all take off from my local at the same time - four flights on four carriers within an hour, then nothing for 23. Except EK
Old Mar 9, 2011, 7:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Gold, QR Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ft101
EK21 arr 0705
EK22 dep 0940
Glory be, great new slot ex-MAN!

Much more humane arrival time if only going to Dubai and I think pre-rush hour too?
Old Mar 9, 2011, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by MrSoft
Glory be, great new slot ex-MAN!

Much more humane arrival time if only going to Dubai and I think pre-rush hour too?
In case you haven't seen it elsewhere, Emirates777 has confirmed it is starting on May 1st, not September 1st as I stated.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 3:24 pm

Programs: Skywards Silver, Miles & Bonus Gold, BD Diamond Blue
Decent pre-rush hour arrival in DXB, but less choice of connecting flights onwards. Hopefully there will swap over to a 777 soon, especially if they continue to do well cargo wise.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by rathin100
For provinical UK traffic BA gave up on those markets a long time ago and EKs just being a successful grasshopper capitalising on the inability of UK and europeen airlines to get their logistical and fleet mgmt act together Thus KLM has also been trying to feed into those markets for 15 years (remember Air UK??) but Eks service and connections are tough to beat not to mention their boldness in putting capacity there ahead of demonstrable demand
To be fair to KL, the Dutch carrier has been active in the transfer market to/from the UK for decades, not just the 15 yrs you mention.

Today's Schiphol airport (the original building opened in 1967) was designed to handle international transit passengers. And the UK was one of its most important markets. Indeed at one stage Schiphol even promoted itself as "London's third airport."

SQ copied KL's marketing stategy in the 1970s. Now EK (and the other Gulf carriers) are emulating the business model started by KL and SQ.

But KL still remains a force in the UK. Just look at the number and variety of UK airports it serves.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:47 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by alex1948
To be fair to KL, the Dutch carrier has been active in the transfer market to/from the UK for decades, not just the 15 yrs you mention.

Today's Schiphol airport (the original building opened in 1967) was designed to handle international transit passengers. And the UK was one of its most important markets. Indeed at one stage Schiphol even promoted itself as "London's third airport."

SQ copied KL's marketing stategy in the 1970s. Now EK (and the other Gulf carriers) are emulating the business model started by KL and SQ.

But KL still remains a force in the UK. Just look at the number and variety of UK airports it serves.
I stand corrected. Ive only been flying 22 years and the world did not begin when I started :-)

What you explain is very interesting to me. I started flying international regularly in 1989 as a student going home from univ in the UK and KLM was aggressive in marketing its transit product The closest airport to my Univ was (and is) Stansted. 20 minutes on the train and you were at the airport and it was a snip to go anywhere from there on Air UK/KLM. That trend continues to date in East Anglia. I have friends who live in Norwich and they use KLM to the world direct form Norwich.

But when EK enters the market you get a whole new concept of service and network spread so KLM loses out, I guess. When I travelled eEast on work from MAN in the early 1990s there was no EK. I flew KLM Today my ex-colleagues never use KLM to go anywhere east or South its EK all the way! Colleagues based within a reasonable distance from London flying business class also choose the Ek limo service to LHR/LGW and then on to the world.
One by one.... so MAn, BHX, Glasgow, Newcastle... soon perhaps Leicester, Norwich etc...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.