DXB-LHR Loads Unbelievable

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2011, 3:11 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
DXB-LHR Loads Unbelievable

Is it just me or am I dreaming?

Ok, I will admit I don't take this flight too often. But here I was, ex DXB heading for LHR. On EK001. Flight was oversold in ALL classes. As we took off (about an hour late) due to straggling passengers and their luggage, I wasn't quite sure if the polite Captain was going to be able to get the big birds overweight butt off the tarmac.

He must have had both feet jammed against the 4 throttles.

I was happy. Had a decent seat up the front in Y and the flight was only 6+ hours. Purser came over and introduced themselves to me, said if there as anything I needed, just ask. Half way thru the flight came back with an express landing card for DXB (not that I needed it)

But every flight I checked on EF was up the wazoo busy. And now that I'm in London, thought I might try and get home a day early.

Nope. Nada. Zip. All flights are packed to DXB - again some seats in Y - but the premium cabins full or oversold.

Thats 5 flights a day (2 x 380's and 3 x 777) all pretty much full. And that's not discounting the 2 dailies to BHX (777) or the 2 flights to MAN (one 380 and one 777). Thats nine flights a day to the UK.

They could easily run another 380 out of DXB to LHR...

Last edited by eightblack; Mar 5, 2011 at 10:02 am
Old Mar 5, 2011, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by eightblack
Thats 5 flights a day (2 x 380's and 3 x 777) all pretty much full. And that's not discounting the 2 dailies to BHX (777) or the 2 flights to MAN (one 380 and one 777). Thats nine flights a day to the UK.
Actually its 5x daily to Heathrow, 3x daily to Gatwick, 2x daily to Manchester, 2x daily to Birmingham, daily to Newcastle and daily to Glasgow. Thats FOURTEEN daily flights to the UK.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 3:48 am

Same can be said of the loads to Manchester. Left with only one seat in Y vacant after the poor soul got lost and couldnt be located. The 'full house' sign was up though.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 4:56 am
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Actually its 5x daily to Heathrow, 3x daily to Gatwick, 2x daily to Manchester, 2x daily to Birmingham, daily to Newcastle and daily to Glasgow. Thats FOURTEEN daily flights to the UK.
Exactly, what he said! And what Descending said above...
Old Mar 5, 2011, 9:32 am

Programs: Skywards Silver
i used to fly regularly from MAN and now from LGW, they're not nearly as jam packed as the LHR flights. at times they're actually pretty darn empty.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 9:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Gold, QR Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by afhstingray
i used to fly regularly from MAN and now from LGW, they're not nearly as jam packed as the LHR flights.
? OK I guess your point is, they used to be not nearly as jam packed as the LHR flights?

They're certainly jam packed now.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 10:12 am

Programs: EK Gold SQ TPPS BA SILV
thats why there are hardly any millage accelerator bonuses on the LHR sector...

btw- flew J on the BA flight last week... not a single extra seat in J.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 11:17 am

Programs: Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by MrSoft
? OK I guess your point is, they used to be not nearly as jam packed as the LHR flights?

They're certainly jam packed now.
my point is that not all these 15 flights from the UK are as packed as LHR-DXB.

The last time i flew from MAN was july, but i've flown from LGW a few times recently and will be flying again next month, and the flight was nowhere near full. Most of the rows at the back were completely empty in fact.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 1:44 pm

Programs: EK Skywards Platinum; Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by eightblack
Is it just me or am I dreaming?

Ok, I will admit I don't take this flight too often. But here I was, ex DXB heading for LHR. On EK001. Flight was oversold in ALL classes. As we took off (about an hour late) due to straggling passengers and their luggage, I wasn't quite sure if the polite Captain was going to be able to get the big birds overweight butt off the tarmac.

He must have had both feet jammed against the 4 throttles.

I was happy. Had a decent seat up the front in Y and the flight was only 6+ hours. Purser came over and introduced themselves to me, said if there as anything I needed, just ask. Half way thru the flight came back with an express landing card for DXB (not that I needed it)

But every flight I checked on EF was up the wazoo busy. And now that I'm in London, thought I might try and get home a day early.

Nope. Nada. Zip. All flights are packed to DXB - again some seats in Y - but the premium cabins full or oversold.

They could easily run another 380 out of DXB to LHR...
No op-up for gold?
Old Mar 5, 2011, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by torontoflyer
No op-up for gold?
To where? If it's fully booked....
Old Mar 5, 2011, 6:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by torontoflyer
No op-up for gold?
There would have been op-downs in this case, for non status pax in F/ J, and VDBs for pax in Y.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 8:56 am

I was in EK 003 on Mar 2, returning on EK 006 on Mar 3. Both flights were packed, departures delayed as well.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 6:14 pm

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Very interesting... Im not surprised EK is packed outt of London as the transit traffic to Oz Africa and South Asia on EK is simply...HUGE! For direct traffic to DXB Ek offers the best frequencies Throw in the competition...2 declining airlines called BA and VS and you have, in effect almost an EK direct monopoly LHR-DXB and plenty of transit pax to give you overloads

For provinical UK traffic BA gave up on those markets a long time ago and EKs just being a successful grasshopper capitalising on the inability of UK and europeen airlines to get their logistical and fleet mgmt act together Thus KLM has also been trying to feed into those markets for 15 years (remember Air UK??) but Eks service and connections are tough to beat not to mention their boldness in putting capacity there ahead of demonstrable demand
Old Mar 6, 2011, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
EK pretty much cleans house UK to DXB and beyond. Honestly, if you want a bit of wiggle room on changing flights here and there, LH or QR might actually be a better bet ex-DXB - of course not nearly as convenient as EK.

Coming back to the US, I've had to adjust my routing occasionally when I'm done early in DXB. I've flown back to every US gateway now, just to get back to DFW on a busy/difficult to confirm day.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by B747-437B
And going up to 15 from 1st September with a 3rd daily from MAN.

EK21 arr 0655
EK22 dep 0925

I think these are arrive and depart times to/from MAN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.