Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Why such heavy perfume on Emirates flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2011, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Air Points (Gold Elite), Velocity (Platinum), Emirates (Gold)

I recently flew Emirates again, and was struck (again) by how heavily perfumed everything is. The hot towels they give you to wash your hands are so strong it takes my breath away. The soap and lotions in the bathroom, likewise. The amenity kits actually have perfume in them! I wish they wouldn't do that - someone on my flight actually used it and we were all choking and gasping. I know this is a very small thing, but I was wondering how others felt about it. I'm used to US airlines, which don't do this at all, and Air NZ, which has some perfume-y scents but it's practically subtle compared to Emirates.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 6:54 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards, Mileage Plus, OneWorld, Qatar Airways Privilage Club
I think it's more of a cultural thing..Asians/Middle Easterners are big into perfumes, scented oils, etc. so I think that's where it comes from. It doesn't bother me that much though..although if someone was allergic/sensitive to scents that may not be too pleasant.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 8:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
US airlines don't, but clothing stores certainly do go about spraying their scent on the clothes every half hour. You know the ones I'm referring to. Maybe to some extent it's to build brand recognition based on smell. Just a wild guess.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 2:29 am

I've always figured it might be to do with counteracting the different cultures on board. If you've ever been to an Indian airport, even the more modern ones, they still manage to achieve a pungent aroma. Same with BKK, it's got a really odd smell. Until recently LHR had an oddly damp smell to match LGW. Locations in Africa are also the humid and busy inside the terminal. Trying to achieve a uniform onboard smell is obviously quite an uphill struggle.

Many airlines have perfumes or after shave inside them, its considered generous and also probably free to the airline (1000s of premium passengers sampling the fragrance every day). US carriers probably don't do it due to weight and worries about the size of bag to fit it all in etc.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Air Points (Gold Elite), Velocity (Platinum), Emirates (Gold)
Thanks for the replies everyone.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:12 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
I think it's alright really.

But I agree with you that it sometimes gets annoying cuz it's too strong and you can't sleep or do anything dueing your flight.

I'm from the gulf and it is not a cultural thing but we do love perfumes.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 3:30 pm

I like it

Although I am not from Asia, I do like and enjoy it. Emirates has made a difference in my life, I enjoy their service
Old Jan 21, 2011, 4:03 am

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, BA Gold OW Emerald, A3 *G, SV Skyteam Elite
Originally Posted by grahampros
This will not be a politically correct response but one that is probably true. Many in the destinations they serve don’t have the standards of hygiene that western and upper class folks do in the many areas of the world. It's to mask the body odor
From my observation, if you fly in Y a leg like RUH - DXB, the FAs would go along aisle and keep pressing a room spray (don't know how they are correctly called) left and right, up in the air. In premium cabin(s), they don't.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 5:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Amex Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold
I would prefer this smell to the old musty smell I experience on some US routes
Old Jan 21, 2011, 1:40 pm

Programs: Skywards Silver
i thought those sprays were the antiseptic sprays required before landing in some countries?
Old Jan 21, 2011, 4:07 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by birder
I'm used to US airlines, which don't do this at all, and Air NZ, which has some perfume-y scents but it's practically subtle compared to Emirates.
I love the Air NZ manuka-scented hand washes and creams. Reminds me of home.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:15 am

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, BA Gold OW Emerald, A3 *G, SV Skyteam Elite
Originally Posted by afhstingray
i thought those sprays were the antiseptic sprays required before landing in some countries?
You might be right - but even those are slightly perfumed...
Old Jan 22, 2011, 2:59 am

Love the perfume

Actually I love the perfume and scented sprays used on Emirates. Especially on their long haul flights where you can get tired of your neighbours breath. I guess different strokes for different folks.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 5:41 pm

Programs: Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by GigoloArt
You might be right - but even those are slightly perfumed...
otherwise the plane would smell like a hospital
Old Mar 3, 2011, 6:11 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Originally Posted by ung1
US airlines don't, but clothing stores certainly do go about spraying their scent on the clothes every half hour. You know the ones I'm referring to. Maybe to some extent it's to build brand recognition based on smell. Just a wild guess.
And obviously, they succeeded. I could already smell their store in South Street Seaport in NYC even when I was two blocks away. I really don't like being bothered by strong smells where I cannot evade them, so I'm curious to experience the EK smell on my own (still about two months to go).

However, I don't like the smell of the SQ J lotions ("Verbena" by L'Occitane) which are not too "heavy" but still very strong - well, they're asian. The lotions in LX J smell more like the interior of a pharmacy... so I think it's all a matter of taste (and probably also cultural differences).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.