Community
Wiki Posts
Search

upgrade chart?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by extramileage
this is where the skywards luggage tag comes in handy...
How do you get a skywards luggage tag?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Originally Posted by Katykat
How do you get a skywards luggage tag?
They are sent to you with your membership card (at least this is the case for Silver and upwards).
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:33 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

And you have to be Silver or above to upgrade on board.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
No - but if you have Skywards status, you can request an upgrade on board - the purser has a tablet with your Skywards details and can deduct miles instantly and make the seat assignment.

Technically you need to show the physical card and passport to do this but some pursers do not ask for them (or only the physical card).
It might be a stupid question but why do they ask for passport ? BP should be enough no ? Pax identity is checked, crosschecked and triple checked until boarding. And skywards number appears on the BP.
BP can be swapped of course, but usually it is between family members, close friends, so basically, between trusted ones.
If the upgrade is performed using someone else's miles, then, EK needs obviously to check that the card holder is OK.
Anyway, it doesn't hurt to check ID.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by ioto1902
It might be a stupid question but why do they ask for passport ? BP should be enough no ? Pax identity is checked, crosschecked and triple checked until boarding. And skywards number appears on the BP.
BP can be swapped of course, but usually it is between family members, close friends, so basically, between trusted ones.
If the upgrade is performed using someone else's miles, then, EK needs obviously to check that the card holder is OK.
Anyway, it doesn't hurt to check ID.
Photo id to match whether skywards card holder matches the person requesting the upgrade, I think.

Even if the person is "trusted" EK doesn't know that - and when you are talking about multi hundred $$$ value redemptions, they don't want to be caught out, I think!
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by pomkiwi
They are sent to you with your membership card (at least this is the case for Silver and upwards).
Ahh, found them. Thanks. Are there any other advantages to using the tags ( or even my Silver card) if I am travelling business class. Do I have to activate the card? My Silver status is acknowledged in my account.
A hypothetical question. " If I was travelling business class with a Blue member, would there be any comeback in using Silver luggage tags on Blue members luggage?"
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:53 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by Saltire74
I am hoping the upgrade Gods are looking down upon me tomorrow morning in DXB for my flight to GLA otherwise it's down the back again and don't have enogh miles to do a space available upgrade.

S
Well, the upgrade gods didn't shine upon me but the purser in Y commandeered a row of three for me without asking and appreciated the space. Managed to get 4 hours solid sleep.

S
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:58 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Katykat
Ahh, found them. Thanks. Are there any other advantages to using the tags ( or even my Silver card) if I am travelling business class. Do I have to activate the card? My Silver status is acknowledged in my account.
A hypothetical question. " If I was travelling business class with a Blue member, would there be any comeback in using Silver luggage tags on Blue members luggage?"
They're just for ego, they have absolutely no bearing on anything.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:13 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
They're just for ego, they have absolutely no bearing on anything.
They can assist with priority boarding as a visual indicator for gate staff. Seen it happen at GLA once when a gate agent directed a Silver (without looking at his BP) to the priority lane who was queuing up in the Y line.

Which brings me to something I remembered from the boarding gate for my GLA flight yesterday. The signs at the gate for cabins said First, Business, Platinum & Gold and when they made the announcement those ones were invited for priority or at their leisure and then economy boarding zones. There was no mention of Silver?? New? Sign of things to come? Skywards page still mentions Silver priority boarding.

S
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:17 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
They can assist with priority boarding as a visual indicator for gate staff. Seen it happen at GLA once when a gate agent directed a Silver (without looking at his BP) to the priority lane who was queuing up in the Y line.

Which brings me to something I remembered from the boarding gate for my GLA flight yesterday. The signs at the gate for cabins said First, Business, Platinum & Gold and when they made the announcement those ones were invited for priority or at their leisure and then economy boarding zones. There was no mention of Silver?? New? Sign of things to come? Skywards page still mentions Silver priority boarding.

S
Well if you know you're entitled then you'd just go directly. If questioned I point out the status on my BP usually.

DXB gates have never advertised Silver (well when I say never, not that I ever remember in the last 2 years).
Old Jan 5, 2017, 12:30 am
Moderator, Emirates

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Well if you know you're entitled then you'd just go directly. If questioned I point out the status on my BP usually.

DXB gates have never advertised Silver (well when I say never, not that I ever remember in the last 2 years).
Can't say I've noticed before but it was the announcement and no mention of silver.

S
Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:49 am

Can't say I've noticed before but it was the announcement and no mention of silver.

S
I think Silver will get called just before Y zone C starts Technically priority...
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:21 am

2 or 3 years ago in GLA, I joined the priority queue as a silver. It was politely pointed out to me that they do not allow silver members priority boarding, as they "don't have enough room". I was allowed through though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.