Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A380 LHR to DXB Economy - Review

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2010, 5:00 am
Original Poster

A380 LHR to DXB Economy - Review

Hi, Just back from Dubai with the family, thought a quick review of Economy may be of interest.

We flew EK04 from LHR T3 on 21/10/10 - I'd pre-booked the four central seats 46D,E,F&G.

Firstly LHR T3 was a nightmare, slow security and queues for all the restaurants, so do allow plenty of time, saying that the flight was delayed, initially by 25 mins when we checked the bags in but ultimately by almost 1 hr 20 mins.

Once called to the gate you're immediately hit by how many people will be getting on the plane, the loading gate is massive and I guess I only saw the economy plebs. However the boarding sequence is well organised. I was really pleased that we'd opted for seats in this front section of the plane as it felt like a private cabin, with easy access to the toilets at the front. Space wise it does feel considerably larger than other planes, especially head height.

The crew were friendly and mucked around with the kids whilst the plane filled up. We were given a headset, pillow and blanket each but no socks, toothbrush etc. The ICE really is a top bit of kit, especially as you can use it as soon as you're in your seat, so if you do get delayed once on board, as we did on the way back you can start watching a film Outside camera views were neat too. Crew also came around with a hot towel to freshen up. We eventually took off at 10pm. A quick bar service followed, I opted for white wine and was given two bottles. Choice of two meals (Chicken or fish!) which I thought were ok. When the lights were dimmed you notice that the cabin ceiling has twinkling night stars, nice touch.

The seat was comfy and despite being over 6 foot tall I could stretch my legs right under the seat in front.

I took a look around the rest of the economy section and must say that the middle section of the plane was massive and felt like there were a lot of people there, I was so pleased we had seats where we did.

Offered a cup of tea prior to landing, queues for the toilets built up at this point.

Having flown 777 and 747 to the States with Virgin and BA in the past two years I must say that the Emirates A380 experience easily beat both of these carriers. I know it's a new product but it was the most pleasant way to get there without remortgaging. And at £1700 for a family of 4 return not bad value. Love to try business some time!

T3 at Dubai was impressive however we noticed things were much slower than when we were last in Dubai 5 years earlier. Bags took over 45 minutes to arrive at our belt.

I have a few pics from onboard too but need to work out how to add these to the review?!

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 5:30 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Beergander

I have a few pics from onboard too but need to work out how to add these to the review?!

Hope this helps.
Just google "upload free images" and pick any of the links. I use Imageshack. Its simple and they even provide you the link which is customised for forums such as FT.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 4:57 am
Original Poster

So let's see if this works?

Pictures from the flight!

http://img100.imageshack.us/g/pa280412.jpg/

Let me know if you can see these.

Thanks

Last edited by Beergander; Oct 30, 2010 at 5:26 am
Old Aug 11, 2011, 5:33 am

Programs: Skywards blue, OK Plus, Delta Skymiles, Avios, Etihad Guest
thanks

Thank you very much for a great review! I can not wait to fly with Emirates for the first time on A380 in September (DXB - PEK).
Old Aug 11, 2011, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Beergander
So let's see if this works?

Pictures from the flight!

http://img100.imageshack.us/g/pa280412.jpg/

Let me know if you can see these.

Thanks
I can see pictures

Well writen report, thanks!
Old Aug 13, 2011, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Thanks for the report. Glad to see EK continuing to offer a very competitive Y product.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:04 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards, Mileage Plus, OneWorld, Qatar Airways Privilage Club
Anyone else recently fly LHR-DXB recently in Y care to share their experience??
Old Sep 17, 2012, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by chicagodesi
Anyone else recently fly LHR-DXB recently in Y care to share their experience??
Anything specific you want to know? I have done LHR-DXB in Y too many times to count.

Most recently was in mid July on EK 004. Flight was uneventful, I sat right at the front so the plane didn't feel so claustrophobic, food was edible (barely) but we were not given menus. IFE was great as always and service was excellent. Toilets were in a very shabby state by the end of the flight.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
Flown the A380 several times now both in Economy and Business (though MAN-DXB)
Love the J class cabin upstairs with the bar and Y is much better than the 777s.
Like others we always sit at the front in Y (42J/K)
Plane is much quieter than other EK planes.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 2:39 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards, Mileage Plus, OneWorld, Qatar Airways Privilage Club
We'll have a 1 year old with us, so I'm hoping that we'll get the bassinet row up close to front. How is food/service on the flight? I'm thinking of taking the 8pm flight from LHR-DXB.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by chicagodesi
We'll have a 1 year old with us, so I'm hoping that we'll get the bassinet row up close to front. How is food/service on the flight? I'm thinking of taking the 8pm flight from LHR-DXB.
You must be referring to EK4 then.

The food and service is fine, however as I am sure you are aware this is the sleeper flight, so it will be a quick dinner, then cabin lights dimmed before an Arabian Gulf breakfast brings you into DXB for a glorious sunrise arrival.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.