Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Rant : Poorly handled 8 hour delay in Accra

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rant : Poorly handled 8 hour delay in Accra

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2010, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Just a follow up to this. Flying out of Accra last week (first time through there since receiving the response), the Emirates Airport Manager came over to follow up in person for the problems on this August flight and to offer her apologies.

Extremely impressed. ^^^
Old Oct 29, 2010, 6:11 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
If there was ever an example of how to write an airline complaint letter, then this would be it. Well done. It's specific. There's zero emotion. And it sticks to the facts.

The only thing I think we can learn from this is:

1. Be more direct in the request for compensation. I'm a big believer in that the people who read these letters have a sign-off authority of something far more than 10,000 miles - but if they aren't asked, they will compensate you with the minimum. Next time, ask for 30,000 miles. If they meet you half way, you win. If they give you 25,000 miles, you win ++

2. While I think it's great that the general customer service email responded, taking a few more minutes to find out the actual address and name of your local station manager would pay off handsomely. I know if this happened to me, I would be calling/emailing the local office (ie MEL or SIN) and I would expect them to follow this thru with CS in Dubai (or take appropriate action themselves).

And I take my hat off to DTB's response letter. There are clearly some people on the EK forum who should be in another profession....
Old Oct 30, 2010, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eightblack
Be more direct in the request for compensation. I'm a big believer in that the people who read these letters have a sign-off authority of something far more than 10,000 miles - but if they aren't asked, they will compensate you with the minimum. Next time, ask for 30,000 miles. If they meet you half way, you win. If they give you 25,000 miles, you win ++
As someone who has read these letters (for another airline) in the past and had authority to sign off on pretty much anything, I assure you that anyone who made disproportionate claims got nothing. 30000 miles for a delay is essentially the ticket price for that sector and that would be far too much to request. I think the 10000 miles were appropriate under the circumstances.

a few more minutes to find out the actual address and name of your local station manager would pay off handsomely
I know the local airport manager (as well as the country manager and regional manager and the MD of the handling agent) and she knows me. She has no authority to sign off on anything to do with customer compensation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.