Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

to be or not to be - to upgrade or not to?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

to be or not to be - to upgrade or not to?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2010, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Blue
Exclamation to be or not to be - to upgrade or not to?

Hello everyone,

i have just found out that my class of fare does not entitle me to a hotel stay or lounge access.. my itinerary is BHX-DXB-LHE . I land at DXB at 0720 HRS and fly off at 2200 HRS so i could definitely do with some food and rest.

If i upgrade my DXB-LHE ticket to a business class ticket...will i get access to the lounge? and also, upgrading using 12,500 miles or not upgrading and using the Diner's Club lounge (paying the fees....supposedly 55AED) ....which one's the better option?...suggestions, advice, help ....everything/anything welcome
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:48 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Firstly, yes, if you upgrade your onward flight from DXB you are entitled to lounge access, whether with cash or miles.

Secondly, and more importantly, any lounge is going to get boring if you have that long a layover. Since it's during the day, it's a great opportunity to spend some time in Dubai. Go to the malls to avoid the heat.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:48 am

12,500 will only upgrade you on the LHE sector, it will be another 25,000 to do the BHX. If lounge access is your only concern then I would save your miles and pay for one of the other lounges as T3 business isn't that fantastic due to passenger loads. Its a spectacular lounge just too busy!

As you are transiting in the day why not skip the lounge and do some sight-seeing in spectacular Dubai?!
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:53 am

Programs: SQ SPPS, EK I/O, CX DM, SU Plat, Hyatt DM, IC RA Plat, HH DM, AMX Cent
Shakespeare

And I thought that Shakespeare was looking for an upgrade on EK
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:52 am

Programs: Skywards Silver, Goldpoints Silver, CC Gold, Hilton Gold, Le-Club Platin
your luggage will be checked in durding the whole trip, right? so just go outside and spend some time at dubai.
it is very interesting and definitly worth looking around. little hint: it is damn hot in this city so prefer the malls for shopping/walking around
Old Jun 4, 2010, 3:52 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Alternatively, get a day room at one of the hotels near the airport. Lounge by the pool all day, and have a nice meal before your flight to LHE.

I'd recommend the Le Meridian or Al Bustan Rotana. Both very nice with loads of restaurants (probably 20+ between them).

The day room will probably cost less that the upgrade

Cheers,
Rick
Old Jun 4, 2010, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ELITEGOLDTRAVELLER
And I thought that Shakespeare was looking for an upgrade on EK
The way they've changed flex and saver fares; i think even Shakespeare would've been asking around for help (all in good humour)

Thank you all for your most valuable suggestions...i think the best thing to do is to roam around Dubai...although i don't think the miles are of any use to me as i have around 14k which is not gonna make me a silver anytime soon and they expire around july this year...
Old Jun 4, 2010, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by cyrus994
The way they've changed flex and saver fares; i think even Shakespeare would've been asking around for help (all in good humour)

Thank you all for your most valuable suggestions...i think the best thing to do is to roam around Dubai...although i don't think the miles are of any use to me as i have around 14k which is not gonna make me a silver anytime soon and they expire around july this year...
In that case, upgrade anyway. But for the lounge issue, I'd be more inclined to upgrade on the BHX-DXB sector (if they have the new J seats) instead of the much shorter DXB-LHE sector.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by ung1
In that case, upgrade anyway. But for the lounge issue, I'd be more inclined to upgrade on the BHX-DXB sector (if they have the new J seats) instead of the much shorter DXB-LHE sector.
But he can't with only 14,000 miles - he'd need to buy a minimum of 11,000.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by ft101
But he can't with only 14,000 miles - he'd need to buy a minimum of 11,000.
Yea, I meant either upgrade the DXB-LHE, or buy the difference required and upgrade the BHX-DXB. Really all depends on availability.

And failing all of that, I'm sure there would be people on this forum kind enough to take the miles off the OP.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 5:11 am
Original Poster

I've decided to go around Dubai on my own while the mile have been used (plus some cash) to buy a gift for family ...all sorted out now!...Flying off in 33 hours!
Old Jun 5, 2010, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by cyrus994
I've decided to go around Dubai on my own while the mile have been used (plus some cash) to buy a gift for family ...all sorted out now!...Flying off in 33 hours!
Please don't tell me you wasted miles on Emirates High Street? That's worse value for money than redeeming for Y class tickets!
Old Jun 5, 2010, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Whats done is done i guess ...i'll ask for a more whollistic advice the next time i travel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.