Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More ash

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2010, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

More ash

Just looked on the Emirates site and tonights flight into Manchester was diverted and the flight out to Dubai is cancelled.

I am booked on next Sundays Flight from Manchester and to be honest, i am worried that it may be cancelled.

what gets me, they are not telling you your rights if your flight is cancelled and the web site tells you to contact Emirates.

They say that the ash cloud is 30,000Ft, so why cant planes fly at a lower altitude untill their out of the danger Zone.
Then i have the issue with Thailand and the troubles.
I have not booked any Car parking in manchester or hotels in Thailand yet in fear that i will loose money.

whats the world coming to Eh

Malc
Old May 16, 2010, 3:14 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
How do you propose to get the plane from the ground to 30,000 feet if the ash is covering the airspace around the airport? The ash is up to 30,000 feet. It is safe to fly above that, not below. Today EK put on coaches to bring people to BHX and got the passengers out of there. They did a similar thing last week getting people to NCL from Scotland when the airspace was closed there. If all of the UK airports end up being closed there is not much that can be done aside from getting to an airport on the continent that is open. Still it is a lot easier for EK to take care of the backlog from a hand full of flights. It is not so easy for BA/VS as nearly all of their flights go to/from/through the UK. Of course, as summer approaches and planes are nearly 100% full on all airlines, it is going to be harder and harder to accommodate stranded passengers if this continues for several more months.
Old May 17, 2010, 2:53 am

Programs: British Airways Exec Club Gold, Emirates Skywards Blue
Anyone know when the a/c is due to leave Glasgow?
Old May 17, 2010, 4:42 am

Programs: QR PC Silver, FlySmiles, Skywards
EK027 Arriving Mon 17 May 10 Glasgow International Airport (GLA) 12:35 | Scheduled 12:50 | Estimated

EK028 Departing Mon 17 May 10 Glasgow International Airport (GLA) 14:15 | Scheduled 14:15 | Estimated
Old May 17, 2010, 9:55 am

Programs: QF Silver
If there is an ash cloud, there is one and you have two choices:

-stay at home

-make your way to an alternative airport and hope for the best.

I went for the second option about a month ago and made my way from London to Nice via train to get out of Europe, on the way home I could go back to London but it could also have been that I would have ended up stuck in DXB. You never know. Emirates can't change much about that either. This is nature.

Regarding Thailand, on one hand it is not as bad as it is made to look on the media, especially not if you are just going for a holiday and nowhere close to the affected areas in Bangkok. On the other hand one could say it is your decision. Go or stay at home.

In the end you just have to make a decision based on what you think is best, so wait patiently until closer to the date. Although flight cancellations due to the ash are not covered by travel insurance you might still get your money back based on the fact that you are going to Thailand. Make sure you check with your insurance whether they would refund in case you cancel your trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.