Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Rude and Sarcastic Crew on LHR - DXB Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2010, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

I flew on Emirates on the A380 in business on Thursday (the 6th of May) and found the crew, on the whole to be rude and sarcastic. A couple of examples:

- When handing out the newspapers, one of the passengers didn't wait his turn which was met with a sarcastic mutter from the crew member "help yourself".

- I went down to check out the lower deck (after agreeing this with the crew) and on my return, found a crew member sitting on the stairs completing paperwork. She was blocking my way up the stairs but didn't even acknowledge me. I had to say excuse me and squeeze past her. When I found the gate closed and stuggled to undo it, she just watched. I had to ask her to let me in.

- The passenger behind me was asked if he wanted anything else from the menu which he didn't hear properly (he had headphones on), this was met with an aggressive 'Well that's what I'm asking you!'

Overall I felt as though the crew were inconvienienced by having the passengers on board. However, by contrast the manager was very friendly as was the lady serving behind the bar.

I've flown on BA, Qantas, Singapore Airlines in Business, Premium and Economy and I've never had service like this. The fact that I was not once addressed as 'Sir' really strikes me as a crew that was just completely lazy.

I have a friend who is an on-board manager for another airline and she used my experience as an example of poor service in her recent crew briefing prior to a flight so I know that my expectations are not exceptional.

Has anyone else experienced service like this? I'm thinking of making a complaint as I did note the names of the crew members involved.
Old May 10, 2010, 12:11 am

No, I have ALWAYS found EK staff to be polite. I do notice however, that the crew on flights to and from the UK are MUCH worse than for example crews to and from the Far East. Without a boubt.
Old May 10, 2010, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Interesting as the crew on my Dubai to Singapore flight were excellent too.
Old May 10, 2010, 2:18 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
I've also almost always had very efficient and friendly crew. I'd say this kind of attitude is unacceptable, and that you should definitely make the airline aware of this.
Old May 10, 2010, 6:23 am

When i started to use emirates often, They would come to my seat and welcome me back on board and if i needed anything, just ask and i think it was the same for other returning passengers.

I did have a situation when travelling business Class from Dubai to Bangkok and i picked a couple of items from the Menu at the start of the flight, But when the food came i felt totally tired and off my food, I left most of it.
The stewardess came back and she said, why have you left your food, I said because i am feeling so tired, i dont feel like eating, she said, why order food then !!!! maybe she had a point, but i dont think you should question the paying passenger.

On another flight last march, the plane was 2 hours late at departing due to waiting for a inbound flight that had passengers on who had to transfer onto the flight i was on.

Due to the plane departing 2 hours late, That meant that i missed my connection in Bangkok unless Emirates informed airasia that i was delayed and that i would be able to catch the flight (i only had minutes before checkin closed)

I asked the Steward if he could get someone to inform airaisa and he came back and said everything was sorted and they where going to allow me to check in. I arrived at the check in at 20.35pm and i was turned away saying that the check in had closed at 20.30pm and that i had to rebook on the next mornings flight... what hassle i had.
when i said that Emirates had informed airaisa of my delay, they said , no one has informed us from Emirates.
Emirates did put me and the Girlfriend up in a hotel but i had to pay to fly the next day.

Overall, most people will do a good job, but you will always get the odd person who could do better and its the same everywhere in the world and all industries.

Malc
Old May 10, 2010, 7:14 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum for Life, BMI Gold, EK Skywards Gold, BA Gold, IC Hotels Platinum Ambassador
If you were connecting to Air Asia then was that not entirely at your own risk? I didn't think Ek would through ticket someone on Air Asia. If they did then, Emirates should have paid for your re-booked Air Asia flight. If it wasn't a through ticket then how did you manage to get EK to pony up for a hotel as they absolutely wouldn't have had to? They got you as far as you had booked with them as I understand it so it sounds like you got a good deal there.....
Old May 10, 2010, 7:22 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by malct
When i started to use emirates often, They would come to my seat and welcome me back on board and if i needed anything, just ask and i think it was the same for other returning passengers.

I did have a situation when travelling business Class from Dubai to Bangkok and i picked a couple of items from the Menu at the start of the flight, But when the food came i felt totally tired and off my food, I left most of it.
The stewardess came back and she said, why have you left your food, I said because i am feeling so tired, i dont feel like eating, she said, why order food then !!!! maybe she had a point, but i dont think you should question the paying passenger.

On another flight last march, the plane was 2 hours late at departing due to waiting for a inbound flight that had passengers on who had to transfer onto the flight i was on.

Due to the plane departing 2 hours late, That meant that i missed my connection in Bangkok unless Emirates informed airasia that i was delayed and that i would be able to catch the flight (i only had minutes before checkin closed)

I asked the Steward if he could get someone to inform airaisa and he came back and said everything was sorted and they where going to allow me to check in. I arrived at the check in at 20.35pm and i was turned away saying that the check in had closed at 20.30pm and that i had to rebook on the next mornings flight... what hassle i had.
when i said that Emirates had informed airaisa of my delay, they said , no one has informed us from Emirates.
Emirates did put me and the Girlfriend up in a hotel but i had to pay to fly the next day.

Overall, most people will do a good job, but you will always get the odd person who could do better and its the same everywhere in the world and all industries.

Malc
EK actually went the extra mile by providing you with a hotel because they are not responsible for any onward connections seperately booked and especially a LCC, AK.
Old May 10, 2010, 7:23 am

The Airaisa flight was booked separate to the emirates flight and i did allow enough time for connections allowing for a 90 minute delay.

regarding my issue, emirates delayed the flight out of dubai to allow other passengers to board the flight and then we had to be given another take off slot.
Dubai had been fogged out that morning and other flights where diverted, but because we had to wait, that meant myself and others missed conecting flights and all passengers where put up for the night in a near by hotel.

it was not our fault that we missed connecting flights, So i believe emirates had to supply us with a hotel for the night.

Malc
Old May 10, 2010, 7:41 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
The Airaisa flight was booked separate to the emirates flight and i did allow enough time for connections allowing for a 90 minute delay.

regarding my issue, emirates delayed the flight out of dubai to allow other passengers to board the flight and then we had to be given another take off slot.
Dubai had been fogged out that morning and other flights where diverted, but because we had to wait, that meant myself and others missed conecting flights and all passengers where put up for the night in a near by hotel.

it was not our fault that we missed connecting flights, So i believe emirates had to supply us with a hotel for the night.

Malc
They completely have no obligation to do so because it is on two seperate tickets.
Old May 10, 2010, 8:24 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)

Malc
You were very lucky. I know of other carriers that wouldnt even have waited for you to turn before they laughed. It is unfortunate, but these days one has to plan around such circumstances. At least you didnt have to spend the night at the airport.
Old May 10, 2010, 10:31 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum for Life, BMI Gold, EK Skywards Gold, BA Gold, IC Hotels Platinum Ambassador

Malc
'fraid not. Emirates are obligated to take you as far as you bought a ticket with them...unless you have a through ticket on another carrier. They delivered on their side of the deal. You will find most carriers worldwide would have told you to p1$$ off in the circumstance you describe!

I have bought separate tickets on carriers many times, but usually have the connection the next day or something. A 90 minute connection just doesn't cut it for that type of thing.
Old May 10, 2010, 11:02 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Gold, LH Silver, Hilton Diamond
I'm wondering if the A380 crew regard themselves as 'special' as I have also noticed a decline in quality of service (and catering) on the London route EK001 & 002?
Perhaps they think everyone is getting p***ed at the bar and won't notice....
Old May 10, 2010, 11:15 am

Hi. We have used Emirates for over 7 years and have never encountered any problems on-board or the ground, flights have been in Eco and Bus. In fact this Feb we did LHR-BKK-LHR and I have to say that the A380 crew (Bus) where helpfull and happy, I was allowed to wander down to Eco to have a look, no problem taking photos in the bar, thay even went to the flight deck on arival at DXB to have our teddy's photo taken at the control's...I think the problem is some people think they should be treated like Kings and when they do not get what they think they should rant and rave. So perhaps people with that attitude should travel 1st class and not slum it in Bus.
Old May 10, 2010, 11:18 am

Programs: EK Gold, Qatar Silver, KLM Silver,BA, MAS Enrich
If I had read your post a year and half ago I would of said no never had any Emirates cabin crew that were not been anything but professional and polite...

However, I must say standards are slipping, drastically on some flights I've been on lately.

Cannot say Ive noticed the difference from Asia to Europe and vice versa as one being better/worse than the other. Not once on my last 5 flights recently have I been welcomed aboard, or the chief purser introducing themselves. I'm finding the crew increasing appearing to be quite immature in their attitude towards passengers, and indeed I have heard quite a few rude off the cuff remarks made about passengers within earshot, all without a second thought, it seems.

Flight last week, I had to ask a crew member to move her 'stuff' (being shopping bags) out of the overhead locker above my seat, all done without a word to me or even an apology. The staff do appear to have become dare I say it somewhat lazy, esp at meal times. Wanting to get things over and done with and on many occasions not even asked if I wanted tea or coffee, more interested in getting the Hello mags from the passengers racks to read.......

I know not all staff are bad and you do get good and bad, BUT there is a marked difference in attitude IMO, mores the shame. This is not what I expect in a premioum cabin.
Old May 10, 2010, 11:48 am

Programs: EK Gold, Qatar Silver, KLM Silver,BA, MAS Enrich
...Just a note on other Emirates staff and rudeness, just rang Skywards less than an hour ago. Now staff there are always helpful, polite and friendly and never had a problem.

Just enquiring about the comp stopover in Dubai, was asked very bluntly 'you booked a flight?' my reply ' no, I was wanting some information please, regarding the offer which I cannot find on the website', I was interrupted and then told 'I will not discuss this further and will give no more information, until you book a flight, goodbye', nice. he must have had a bad day....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.