Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Best seats for tall (6ft 4) guys flying long haul AKL to Glasgow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best seats for tall (6ft 4) guys flying long haul AKL to Glasgow

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2010, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Talking What are the best seats for tall (6ft 4) guys flying long haul AKL to Glasgow

Hi there we will be traveling one way from Auckland to Glasgow with the below details. What I wanted to know is what is the best seating for two 6ft 4 men in economy? I am a Gold member and have enough to upgrade the Dubai to Glasgow leg for two of us however not enough for the first leg which is the longest part of the trip (20 hr 10 min
1 Stops). So I am hoping that a. at the Gold desk on the day Emirates will in their kind hearts upgrade us on that long haul or b. get the best seat available for the two of us in economy.

Emirates Airbus A340-500
EK435 New Zealand, NZ (AKL) to United Arab Emirates, AE (DXB) 23B
EK435 New Zealand, NZ (AKL) to United Arab Emirates, AE (DXB) 23A

Emirates Boeing 777-300ER
EK027 United Arab Emirates, AE (DXB) to United Kingdom, GB (GLA) 47J
EK027 United Arab Emirates, AE (DXB) to United Kingdom, GB (GLA) 47K

Hope someone can help us out cheers samoanboy ^

Last edited by samoanboy; Feb 24, 2010 at 4:06 am Reason: Chaning to bold in the subject field
Old Feb 24, 2010, 3:37 am

Programs: UA Silver, BA Silver, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold
break off a toe, each of you. then plead your case with EK. it's worked before.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:04 am
Original Poster

fanks
Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:18 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Get to the airport early (or not in the case of my latest experience with EK), and request emergency exit row seats. Failing that the bulkhead seats are probably your best bet.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:31 am

Best seats will definitely be in First, no emergency exit and no bulkhead, not even business will be no where as comfortable. Being this tall means your shoulders are wider than the 17 or so inches you get in economy seat too.

I know my advice is a bit out of line, but perhaps consider upgrading to F, for at least the (DXB-GLW) sector. You will also benefit from getting some stretch in the lounge in DXB.

Last edited by edy4eva; Feb 24, 2010 at 4:38 am
Old Feb 24, 2010, 6:09 am

Programs: QF Silver
Hi there!

I am a 6t 7 guy myself and here are my five cents of wisdom. EK has more legroom in Y than BA, Qantas or SQ just to name a few. Having said that long haul will still be a torture for blokes like us. What you should do in general is to call EK and tell them you are a very tall passenger say 6ft 6 to add a bit to it and that you do not fit in a standard economy class seat (do you actually fit in one? I literally don't as my knees would be where the front row armrests are). This way a comment will be made on your booking saying you are tall... sometimes they ignore it, sometimes they do not, it can't hurt. Of course the person on the phone will tell you rubbish about staff at the airport allocating emergency exit seats to tall people who need it but this is rubbish, all you want to do at this stage is to get a comment on your booking.

Also, under manage my booking try to get a bulkhead seat if possible but keep in mind that they can allocate it to someone else who is travelling with infants.

What always works for me: be at the airport 24 hours before departure. They will not be able to take your luggage but they should be able to allocate you an emergency exit seat. Yes, it might be a bit troublesome to go all the way to the airport beforehand but for us tall fellows we have to think about the alternative. They should be able to give you an emergency exit seat for all lags of your journey at that time.

EK has some non-existing policy for tall passengers. I was once told that all emergency exit seats were taken by people as tall as myself (again I am 6ft 7) and when I boarded I saw the seats occupied by several Chinese not taller than 5ft 6. A massive complaint to the cabin crew got me a business class seat. Bottom line: do not trust EK when it comes to your seats until you have it printed on your boarding pass (don't trust them until you arrive at your destination if it is a bulkhead seat). They do not give a crap about you being tall at all, so the only way to get what you need is by beating everyone else to it.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by edy4eva
I know my advice is a bit out of line, but perhaps consider upgrading to F, for at least the (DXB-GLW) sector. You will also benefit from getting some stretch in the lounge in DXB.
No first class offered on DXB - GLA.
And the check-in people in AKL won't normally release any DXB to GLA seats for you to reserve them when you check in for your first flight.

Fortunately your status will give you a good chance of exit row seats on AKL to DXB if you arrive at check in early enough as others have said. The flight via SYD departs 30 minutes before yours so arrive before the check in opens for that one. Use your miles for DXB to GLA and you'll get the lounge in DXB anyway.

I agree with the above poster in that Emirates have no real "rules". I've been in an exit row (aisle seat) with an empty seat next to me and a roughly 5 ft 3 in lady in the window seat. I'm only 5 ft 10 in.

I wasn't aware they could release seats the day before - anyone else come across this?
Old Feb 24, 2010, 2:12 pm

Programs: QF Silver
Originally Posted by ft101
I wasn't aware they could release seats the day before - anyone else come across this?
I regularly do this in SIN at the EK early check-in which is operated by SATS, not EK staff. They told me as you can check-in online 24hrs before departure, you can also check-in 24 hours beforehand at a counter (they do not take their baggage though) if you find an open EK counter and a willing member of staff. Will check in 4 weeks when departing from LHR and report back whether it works there as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.