Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

How to recognize Skywards Flex / Skywards Saver fares before booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to recognize Skywards Flex / Skywards Saver fares before booking

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2010, 5:11 pm

Programs: Skywards, Velocity Rewards
I just checked back on the E-ticket for my First class MEL-AKL fare flown in December and it was a Saver fare.

I've a "mixed class" fare to BHX booked for travel in March and there is nothing on the e-ticket to indicate Flex/Saver status. It was booked around October 2009.

Does anyone know if the little "Lowest Fare" star next to the fare when you go through the booking means anything in relation to Saver/Flex status?
Old Jan 3, 2010, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by 17thousandkm
I just checked back on the E-ticket for my First class MEL-AKL fare flown in December and it was a Saver fare.

I've a "mixed class" fare to BHX booked for travel in March and there is nothing on the e-ticket to indicate Flex/Saver status. It was booked around October 2009.

Does anyone know if the little "Lowest Fare" star next to the fare when you go through the booking means anything in relation to Saver/Flex status?
All bookings made prior to Jan 1 2010 come under the previous Skywards rules and will earn miles as they used to.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by knit-in
All bookings made prior to Jan 1 2010 come under the previous Skywards rules and will earn miles as they used to.
Thanks knit-in, I'm aware of that. Both tickets were booked prior to 1 Jan, and it was just interesting that the MEL-AKL flights had "Saver" on the e-ticket whereas the MEL-BHX flights have nothing (even on e-ticket downloaded today).

I've sent an email to Skywards asking how it's possible to identify Saver/Flex fares during booking process, so I'll post the response if/when it arrives.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, EK Gold, BonvoyAmb
I was under th eimpression that ex-DXB all tickets would be Flex as I had never seen a diso....ed ticekt with restrictions..... untill two weeks ago. I am currently on a DXB-KUL-DXB that was bougt over emirates.com and it is a SAVER fare -- at 1900AED I was not surised and has a non-refundable in the rules- which was a fisrt for me to see.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 2:24 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by 17thousandkm

The lowest fare star only indicates which fares(s) in that window are the lowest. If all but one flights are full and that one remaining one is a very expensive fare, it will still have the star next to it.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by knit-in
I was under the impression that - for all flights taken after Jan 1 - the new Skywards rules would apply, even for flights still booked in 2009!?
Old Jan 4, 2010, 5:28 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by CalFlyer
I was under the impression that - for all flights taken after Jan 1 - the new Skywards rules would apply, even for flights still booked in 2009!?
I believe that is only the case if you make a change to an itinerary booked in '09. Otherwise, miles will be as per the old rules.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 12:29 pm

According to Skywards website.

All fares are categorised into two types - Skywards Flex and Skywards Saver.
A Skywards Saver fare is any Emirates fare with either:
(a) eligibility restrictions (such as students; seniors; companions; packaged holidays) or
(b) a limited sales period ("must purchase by" date)
All fares sold by other airlines, partly flown on Emirates, also fall into this category.

Skywards Flex fares are those with no eligibility restrictions and are generally available all year round.
Purchase a Skywards Flex fare, and you will earn 100% of base Miles. Choose a Skywards Saver fare, and you will earn 50% Miles.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by MSNY
According to Skywards website.

All fares are categorised into two types - Skywards Flex and Skywards Saver.
A Skywards Saver fare is any Emirates fare with either:
(a) eligibility restrictions (such as students; seniors; companions; packaged holidays) or
(b) a limited sales period ("must purchase by" date)
All fares sold by other airlines, partly flown on Emirates, also fall into this category.

Skywards Flex fares are those with no eligibility restrictions and are generally available all year round.
Purchase a Skywards Flex fare, and you will earn 100% of base Miles. Choose a Skywards Saver fare, and you will earn 50% Miles.
Yeah, I read that too. Trouble is that at any one time there are literally dozens of flights listed as "special fares". They all have a restriction on the date by which they must be purchased so I assume they are all Saver fares.

I'm concerned about whether you would be deemed to have purchased a Saver fare only if you click through and book a flight from the "Special Fares" page, or can a Saver fare be booked when using the normal booking engine from the home page? If it can, how would you identify it, since there is nothing that is displayed during the booking process that tells you whether the fare is Flex or Saver?
Old Jan 5, 2010, 4:08 am

Programs: MHC/5280AGL ; list too long to be boastful ;-)
I agree with 17Km. When booking online with multiple hops, there is no way to make sure you are holding a flex-fare ticket throughout. Emirates website always advertises the "cheapest fare" first - which could either be flex or saver. Thats how I read it.

It would be helpful if someone figured out a way to make sure what *fare* it is before clicking buy !
Old Jan 5, 2010, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: pants
Hopefully someone at EK is reading this and they will start including endorsement information in the "Fare Rules" on emirates.com

Code:
Endorsements:

THE ORIGINAL AND THE REISSUED TICKET MUST BE ANNOTATED -
  NON-END/SKYWARDS FLEX/ - IN THE ENDORSEMENT BOX.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Been putting off the purchase of a multi leg J ticket for the same reason. I'd be pissed off if my ticket turned out to be a saver.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by roadrunner21
Been putting off the purchase of a multi leg J ticket for the same reason. I'd be pissed off if my ticket turned out to be a saver.
Unless you are planning to buy a more expensive ticket if the lower fare is a saver ticket , how does putting it off help?

Dave
Old Jan 6, 2010, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Unless you are planning to buy a more expensive ticket if the lower fare is a saver ticket , how does putting it off help?

Dave
Am paying for this ticket, so wanna insure that I get the best bang for the buck. 90% of my tickets are paid for by work, so I have to take what they give and be grateful that its a J ticket most of the time. The only way I can influence the fare booked by work is by being extra nice to the lady who books the ticket, now that there is a Flex/Saver issue.
Up till 31 Dec 2009, every fare was a good fare, not so much any more.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maeharasmuse
I saw the movie yesterday: witty but sad.... The other day there was a guy here on the forum, who pretended that he had actually flown 300k status miles in 2 months or something,... I did a search, but couldn't find it right back.
I know someone who had a million plus skywards miles on his statement in 2008. It was a Citi-Skywards credit card. Never got to see how many tier miles he had or has but he always flies F, and drives a car with a two digit tag.

I guess being that rich means that you don't appreciate/enjoy the intricacies of FFPs

Watched the movie the other day, it was OK. Was expecting dialogue similar to http://www.flyertalk.com/glossary/ ... but its a movie, so it was plain talk.

Back on topic

Talked to a TA today, saver fares will end up being fares that show up on the special offer page http://emirates.com/ae/english/desti...ial_fares.aspx ( Not sure if this person was saying that for the sake of saying something )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.