Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Can i give my upgraded seat to spouse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2009, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

I am an EK Gold travelling with my wife who is EK Blue. Lets say only if i get upgraded from Y to J for whatever reason at the gate or beforehand, Will Ek allow my wife to sit in the J cabin with my ticket stub instead of myself, just wondering. Thanks.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:24 am

You could technically do that, but the Mr and Mrs would be weird.
We got upgraded from J to F (wife is blue, I'm gold); when I asked for it, we both got the upgrade automatically. Although I have seen a small family last year on DXB-SYD EK412, where the wife alone got the bump up (she was shocked too) to First from Business.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:49 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Yes. Once I was ticketed in J and mom in Y. Mom enjoyed being Mr. Hassan for the trip

Cheers,
Old Nov 9, 2009, 4:59 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Most airlines will allow it - some will pull the "you can't technically do that due to security issues etc", but at the end of the day, its up to the Pursar or senior crew member.

If it was me and only one of us cleared the upgrade, I would pull the "I am eternally grateful for the gesture, but I simply cant accept this and leave my poor wife down the back, especially as it is our anniversary..." And then wait.

If the loads are ok, and the GA is in a good mood, then you might get lucky. If not, then apparently you are supposed to give up your seat to your wife and take her seat down the back.

Thats what most people do.

However, when I travel with my wife, I tell her all bets are off as soon as we step foot into the airport and its every man for themselves. And besides, she should have thought of the upgrade issues when we got married and then refused to change her name!
Old Nov 9, 2009, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by eightblack

However, when I travel with my wife, I tell her all bets are off as soon as we step foot into the airport and its every man for themselves. And besides, she should have thought of the upgrade issues when we got married and then refused to change her name!
Good grief. With such a comment from you, its no wonder your wife is keeping her maiden name to keep her options open?
Old Nov 9, 2009, 9:12 am

Programs: EK
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Good grief. With such a comment from you, its no wonder your wife is keeping her maiden name to keep her options open?
rofl.. he sounds like a straight ballar to me.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 8:12 pm

Programs: EK Gold, BA Silver, IHC Plat, HERTZ gold, GF Gold, SAS Silver
I agree with eightblack - it certainly is veryman for hinmself as far as I am concerned, however, I have found that if i have been travellkng with someone on the same booking as me, then BOTH are aplicable for the upgrade. I was with the Mrs CAI-DXB once, we were on separate bookings as I had arrived earlier than her, and I was given an OPUP, however, I then said that it was technically a downgrade if I could not travel with her, we both got bumped in the end......
Old Nov 19, 2009, 6:51 am

Its never been an issue. I have done it couple of times. I have been upgraded and made my wife sit in the business class and once my wife was upgraded and she made her father sit in the business. There has never been a problem with us.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 11:09 pm

Programs: SkyWards Ex Silver & BA
When getting an OP upgrade on EK I have always been asked if I am travelling alone, I presume I would never get the upgrade if I had not been.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.