Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Yediot: Two rabbis get woman-free EL AL flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2006, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...248854,00.html

Rabbis get woman-free flight

Two leading rabbis buy all first class tickets, ask El Al to only post male stewards on flight so they do not have to see women on way to America

Haim Levinson

A modest first class flight: Two leading rabbis set to fly to the United States concluded an agreement with El Al that would see them enjoy a woman-free and movie-free flight.

The Gerrer Rebbe, a Hassidic leader who will fly abroad on Sunday, asked El Al that no air stewardesses be aboard the flight.

El Al complied with the rabbi's request and on Sunday's flight to the United States only males will look after passengers.

...snip...

The rabbis asked that the flight from Israel adhere to the strictest standards of modesty. Their aides agreed with El Al officials that they will not have to see women during flight.

The rabbis bought all first class tickets on the flight to make sure no businesswomen are on board.

It was also decided that no films will be screened during the flight. Moreover, the backs of first class seats will be covered with plastic so that the rabbis won't even have to see the television screens.

Responding to the report, El Al said: "We do not report on our customers out of respect for their privacy."

Last edited by Jakebeth; May 14, 2006 at 1:52 pm Reason: missing words
Old May 14, 2006, 2:37 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Actually this isn't a big deal. There are enough times when a section of seats is booked by an orthodox group that LY has standard procedures for putting in curtains and partitions around the group so they don't have to see the TV screens and whatnot. The lack of female FAs may be a precedent.
Old May 14, 2006, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), *A Gold - TAP, SkyTeam E+, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Diamond, Sixt PL, GE/TSA Pre
Duplicate Post

Last edited by jonnye; May 14, 2006 at 3:19 pm Reason: Duplicate Post
Old May 14, 2006, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), *A Gold - TAP, SkyTeam E+, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Diamond, Sixt PL, GE/TSA Pre
Originally Posted by Jakebeth
"It was also decided that no films will be screened during the flight. Moreover, the backs of first class seats will be covered with plastic so that the rabbis won't even have to see the television screens. "
Obviously not your fault, but the reporting sighted some incorrect information.

There are no screens on the back of first class seats on either the 744 or 772.
Old May 14, 2006, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
If a rock star pays crazy money to have only green M&Ms on his floor and pays for all the rooms on the floor so as not to deny other guests their right to red and blue M&Ms so be it....,

I am guessing the TV issue is for 1st class only as well as the "stewards..." issue. Of course it should be flight attendant not steward that is almost like calling a dog in NY a dog and not a "Canine American"

I guess this issue could lead to a deeper discussion meant for omni...
Old May 14, 2006, 7:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Can I have the leftover female FAs?
Old May 14, 2006, 8:59 pm

I understand the reason for no women in the cabin (Shomer Negiah?) but what is the reason for covering the TV screens?
Old May 14, 2006, 9:23 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Originally Posted by fromYYZ_flyer
I understand the reason for no women in the cabin (Shomer Negiah?) but what is the reason for covering the TV screens?
I would imagine it would be so that they would not have to see immodest dress or behavior in the television programming.
Old May 14, 2006, 11:11 pm

Probably so they don't even have to 'think' about the fact that people are in the back of the bus watching Everybody Love Raymond and Guy Pines.
Old May 14, 2006, 11:15 pm
Suspended

I dont see what the fuss is all about.

when the Pope flew to the US, it was TWA 1 way and Alitalia 1 way.

I really dont think either Carrier had FAs in Short Skirts or Hot pants working those Chartered flights. Nor do I think they asked the Pope ahead of time what Movies he would like to see, there probably was none or at least where he was sitting.

So if the Gerrer will purchase all the seats in a given area , whats so wrong if they ask and LY complies with their requests. Now if it would have an affect on anyone else aboard the flight that would be a different story. If they would Charter or buy out the whole plane then LY should do as they ask.

so they purchase all of say 1st or Biz and ask that only women be allowed to fly that arent wearing pants even in coach, I would hope that LY say "Sorry Charlie", but If they buy out 1st and or Biz and meeting their requests wont have an affect on those in Coach, no prob.

An after thought, I wonder if they specified that the Male FAs not be Gay
Old May 14, 2006, 11:28 pm

I don't think that anyone said it is a big deal. Just an interesting news item that we are commenting on.
Old May 14, 2006, 11:33 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Originally Posted by craz

An after thought, I wonder if they specified that the Male FAs not be Gay
Now that you mention it, I wonder if they DID think of that.
Old May 15, 2006, 7:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Shomer negiah has to do with not touching women who are not relatives -- and you would hope that they would not be touching the FAs anyway, so that is not the issue here.

I think that paper bags over their own heads (ie. those of the Gerrer Rebbe and his entourage) are really the best solution.
Old May 15, 2006, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by salut0
Shomer negiah has to do with not touching women who are not relatives -- and you would hope that they would not be touching the FAs anyway, so that is not the issue here.

I think that paper bags
Would Love you to post the same regarding when the Pope flies on AZ. You can start such a thread on the "Other European Airlines Forum'. Something says you wont out of RESPECT, something that you are surely LACKING when it comes to Religious Jewish Leaders. Im sure that AZ makes sure that Everything will be done so that the Pope will be Comfortable flying with them. ElAl seems to have what you Dont, RESPECT for Jewish Religious Leaders.

And I disagree with you being Shomer Negiah has Everything to do with Touching any Woman and especially one who is in Nedah. And its very hard for a Female FA not to come into contact with a Male, especially when serving them or picking up be it a tray or a glass etc...

Last edited by craz; May 15, 2006 at 8:21 pm
Old May 15, 2006, 7:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by craz
Would Love you to post the same regarding when the Pope flies on AZ. You can start such a thread on the "Other European Airlines Forum'. Something says you wont out of RESPECT, something that you are surely LACKING when it comes to Religious Jewish Leaders. Im sure that AZ makes sure that Everything will be done so that the Pope will be Comfortable flying with them. ElAl seems to have what you Dont, RESPECT for Jewish Religious Leaders.

And I disagree with you being Shomer Negiah has Everything to do with Touching any Woman and especially one who is in Nedah. And its very hard for a Female FA not to come into contact with a Male, especially when serving them or picking up be it a tray or a glass etc...
OK, Niddah is an issue -- that's true. But people manage not to touch their wives when they are in Niddah by placing objects on to the table rather than handing them to each other, and it would be a simple matter for the FAs to be given a lesson in the issue of tumah and taharah, and no bad thing for them to learn about it, and for them to be able to respect haredi practice.

I have never had a female flight attended touch me on a flight, even by mistake, nor would I hope that one ever would.

I _do_ respect these rabbis, but I do think it is quite unnecessary to ban women from working on the flight at all -- since the "hillul hashem" it may cause given the possible reactions of secular female flight attendants is, in my opinion, a great problem. The Niddah issue could have easily been overcome without banning women from working on the flight.

I also think that it is rather profligate to be buying out the whole of first class when that money could be better given to tsedakah. it would set a good example if religious leaders were to travel in a modest manner, financially speaking...

BTW, happy Lag baOmer and I apologise if I caused any offence to you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.