Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

IAA to ban 4 engine aircraft at TLV

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2022, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold

https://simpleflying.com/israel-4-engined-plane-ban-2023/

Israel to ban A380, A340, and B747 aircraft starting in 2023. Is this just a thinly disguised attempt to block Emirates from stealing El Al market share by bringing the A380 to TLV?
Old Sep 4, 2022, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by nombody
https://simpleflying.com/israel-4-engined-plane-ban-2023/

Israel to ban A380, A340, and B747 aircraft starting in 2023. Is this just a thinly disguised attempt to block Emirates from stealing El Al market share by bringing the A380 to TLV?
I would guess we need to know exactly which other airlines would have aircraft banned before making state,ents that it is focused on Emirates.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 8:55 am

I'm all for sustainability, but the criterion of banning 4-engine aircraft sounds strange. There are far better measures of fuel efficiency, pollution, noise, etc.

Shuly
BATLV likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
According to Wikipedia, Emirates has a few more 777's in its current fleet than A380's. And it has orders in for all-two-engine aircraft: 777, 787, and A350.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emirates_fleet

("Emirates Fleet")
Old Sep 4, 2022, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
No such things! There is no banned 4 engine aircraft to Israel. It's free country! The airlines had it right. They allowed to. They cannot banned A380, A340, 747-8i. They have no right to ban the 4 engine aircraft.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
No such things! There is no banned 4 engine aircraft to Israel. It's free country! The airlines had it right. They allowed to. They cannot banned A380, A340, 747-8i. They have no right to ban the 4 engine aircraft.

Huh! Israel may be a free country, but like every other country she has the right to make rules and regulations as she feels are appropriate, if countries can’t make rules then maybe all those rules - world wide concerning passenger rights should be eliminated!
Old Sep 6, 2022, 2:09 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Finally, from a mainstream source:

Israel to ban jumbo jets from Ben Gurion airport to cut noise, pollution
While a few airlines that fly to Tel Aviv continue to use the Airbus A340 and A380 — the largest passenger jet in the world — none use them for flights to Israel.

However, a number of cargo carriers, notably Israel-based CAL Cargo Airlines, continue to use 747s to ship freight to and from Israel and will be required to find suitable replacements, according to the IAA’s new policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.