Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

El Al in merger talks with Arkia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2021, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold

https://m.maariv.co.il/news/israel/Article-871544

El Al officially notified the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange that they are in merger talks with Arkia.

This is a step that most financial analysts have expected for some time as the local Israeli market is not big enough to justify 3 airlines. But to be honest,.El Al's real.competition now is from the big 3 American carriers who are eating away at El Al's loads from US destinations.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 2:26 pm

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt
Originally Posted by nombody
https://m.maariv.co.il/news/israel/Article-871544

El Al officially notified the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange that they are in merger talks with Arkia.

This is a step that most financial analysts have expected for some time as the local Israeli market is not big enough to justify 3 airlines. But to be honest,.El Al's real competition is now is from the big 3 American carriers who are eating away at El Al's loads from US destinations.
It's all airlines really, not just the US3.

If LY could fly 7 days a week, they'd stand a very good chance at competing. They have a good onboard product, especially on the 737's when compared to what the euro carriers offer on narrowbody.
The 787's are in line with industry standards as well. The Y, Y+ & J cabins are all competitive.

It remains to be seen what happens with LY, but I think a model similar to Austrian Airlines might serve them well: focus on the regional market (Europe + CIS + Middle East) & retain only the most profitable trunk routes: New York, Los Angeles, Toronto, Hong Kong, Beijing. If other places like San Fransisco, Mumbai, Bangkok, Tokyo, Chicago, etc... are profitable then, by all means, keep those routes too- but I suspect that LY would be looking to reduce costs and maximize profits.....
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I personally enjoy(ed) LY's (787 and737J) hard product and parts of the soft product.

I agree that LY should focus on the most important destinations, particularly where there is less LCC competition, and where their top corporate accounts say is important. I suspect that a bunch of Europe is simply not in the cards for LY given the LCC competition and their cost structure. The newer north american destinations probably also don't make sense, but I'm not privy to the economics of those routes -- I do know that SF and chicago are both better served by United.

I think LY would do much better to partner with AA again and get connectivity if they wanted to properly serve ORD/LAX/MIA.

Arkia merger could be interesting if they can run a 7day/wk schedule and operate LY's aircraft against shabbat restrictions, and with lower cost labor rates.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 10:51 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by entropy
...if they can run a 7day/wk schedule and operate LY's aircraft against shabbat restrictions, and with lower cost labor rates.
Ain't gonna happen.

Take a look at El Al owner Kenny Rosenberg's Interview which is linked in this thread:
An international company that doesn't fly on the Sabbath and holidays?

"Traditionally, since the 1950s El Al has not flown passengers on Shabbat and that is El Al's status quo. When you interview me in another year, you will see that it is possible to be efficient and international, even when the company works six days a week. The workers need a day of rest and we'll take the status quo and make it more efficient. We haven't changed the policies and it has been that way at El Al for years and we don't want and we don't need to change it. We need to mend the operations of the company in those six days that it does work. The seventh day will already mend itself."
Old Feb 3, 2022, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold
El Al signs deal to acquire Arkia

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/israels-el-al-airlines-signs-non-binding-deal-buy-smaller-rival-arkia-2022-02-03/

Does anyone think this deal makes any business sense? Why do they need to acquire Arkia to fly any route? Nothing was stopping them from flying to Eilat Ramon airport.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 7:06 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by nombody
https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/israels-el-al-airlines-signs-non-binding-deal-buy-smaller-rival-arkia-2022-02-03/

Does anyone think this deal makes any business sense? Why do they need to acquire Arkia to fly any route? Nothing was stopping them from flying to Eilat Ramon airport.
Reduce competition. That's what most mergers are for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.