Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

El Al and Etihad to codeshare and partner on FF programs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2020, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Source in Hebrew:
Old Nov 19, 2020, 7:35 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
That would be pretty interesting. El Al's frequent flyer problem isn't particularly attractive, and it would be great to have other options to credit LY flights to. My personal hope would be that one day they join an alliance. Does anyone think that's closer now? The Arab boycott is clearly dead at this point, and if Aerolíneas Freaking Argentinas can be a Skyteam member, why not El Al?

Okay, Skyteam might be an issue because of MEA (although honestly, what benefit do THEY bring?) But Oneworld or Star Alliance could be interesting. LY used to have codeshares with AA, although with AA now serving Israel that may be less attractive, and RJ might not be thrilled with the competition. Star seems perhaps a more likely option - the only other Mideast airline there is Egypt Air, and it's not like the two airlines compete in the same geography. Hell, Egypt Air even pretends it doesn't fly to Israel.

Of course, this all assumes LY would be interested in joining an alliance in the first place - but why wouldn't it? For the first time in LY's history, it has the chance of becoming part of a broader regional network.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 9:21 am

Programs: Air Canada, Hyatt
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
That would be pretty interesting. El Al's frequent flyer problem isn't particularly attractive, and it would be great to have other options to credit LY flights to. My personal hope would be that one day they join an alliance. Does anyone think that's closer now? The Arab boycott is clearly dead at this point, and if Aerolíneas Freaking Argentinas can be a Skyteam member, why not El Al?

Okay, Skyteam might be an issue because of MEA (although honestly, what benefit do THEY bring?) But Oneworld or Star Alliance could be interesting. LY used to have codeshares with AA, although with AA now serving Israel that may be less attractive, and RJ might not be thrilled with the competition. Star seems perhaps a more likely option - the only other Mideast airline there is Egypt Air, and it's not like the two airlines compete in the same geography. Hell, Egypt Air even pretends it doesn't fly to Israel.

Of course, this all assumes LY would be interested in joining an alliance in the first place - but why wouldn't it? For the first time in LY's history, it has the chance of becoming part of a broader regional network.
I echo your thoughts exactly. Well said. Let's hope something like this comes true!
Although a partnership with Star Alliance might be tricky, LY would essentially be competing for the same business as AC, UA, LH, OS, LX, SN, SK, LO.
Israel is more of a "final destination" rather than a transfer hub like those airlines offer at their major bases.

I think for LY to be successful in Star Alliance they'd need to get some kind of JV in place with the LH group, AC & UA to be successful and leverage current European & North American demand + stimulate additional growth.

Hypothetically, if that were to happen I could see the following changes:
AC's YUL-TLV becomes LY metal, AC add's 2nd daily TLV rotation during peak season.
EWR remains as is.
JFK sees a slight increase
IAD becomes LY metal
UA launches IAH.
LY cancells SFO
LY increases LAX
LY cancells ORD
LY increases BOS
LY possibly launches PTY, leverages CM's vast South American & Caribbean network.

In Europe, I don't see much changing if LY joined star, it might help LH group or LY open some more cities non stop to TLV, but that'll take time.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 6:41 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by eyal
Source in Hebrew:
And from Airways Magazine in English:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.