Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

trying to clarify Q's about a first El Al flight.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2019, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hilton

We have a tour in Israel w flights JFK-TLV in August. The TA is showing us nonstops on El Al, on the 7879 and sounds fine. I would have preferred a One WOrld carrier so I could accrue points but doesn't seem feasible.

But the El Al site is not too clear. Is it difficult just book confirmed premium economy or business flights?

And we have been only members on One World Alliance and it looks like Matmid is truly on its own. So any miles I fly on El Al can't be used for redemption elsewhere? Im still looking for answers but man, the El Al site is all over the place.

TIA!
Old Oct 28, 2019, 5:14 pm

Yes, EL AL is, unfortunately not part of major alliances. I don’t understand the other part of your question. Of course you can book a higher class in advance.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

sorry about the second part, it was confusing to me as well.

I mean I was reading about upgrades an such and guess I was confused. Initially seemed like upgrades were the only way to get a business class seat. I was trying using google flights and itamatrix to price some flights. I think I have it sorted now.

So regarding Matmid, I was looking for a redemption chart. I'll earn 11,000 miles on these flights (possibly more if we book prom Econ or J, but wondering what I could redeem 10K points for (non-fight related redemptions?)
Old Oct 29, 2019, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
How/where are you earning 11,000 miles? The most I've ever seen is 1,000 points for a r/t in First Class, and they don't have F on the 787. LY works with points, not miles.

Do you mean earning miles to an LY partner?
Old Oct 29, 2019, 1:19 am

Programs: QF WP
I don’t know that there is any point having some orphan matmid points

there are one stop options on OW- BA via LHR seems most obvious but iberia or Finnair could work too
Old Oct 29, 2019, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshwex90
How/where are you earning 11,000 miles? The most I've ever seen is 1,000 points for a r/t in First Class, and they don't have F on the 787. LY works with points, not miles.
Do you mean earning miles to an LY partner?
No, I guess I just learned something new. Didn't realize their reward system is not based on miles. So I guess that makes joining Matmid even less reasonable. We'd be a family of four flying in premium economy so I gather that's even less points. Thanks for clarifying.

Originally Posted by nancypants
I don’t know that there is any point having some orphan matmid points
there are one stop options on OW- BA via LHR seems most obvious but iberia or Finnair could work too
Tough one, I did look at options but they add at least 4 hours to the trip. BUT, the avgeek in me does like the thought of flying their 7879s. And would be neat to fly El AL once in my life.

In my googling yesterday, I learned that I guess that you can earn miles on Alaska by flying on El Al flights? Does anyone have experience with that yet? I guess I'm just annoyed at the idea of wasting perceived points that cold be salvaged in some way, LOL. 😂. Thinking aloud here, but IF I could be Matmid free and accrue points what could be used on Alaska, its a possibility?
Old Oct 29, 2019, 6:56 am

Yeah I understand, and to be fair on a trip to Israel flying el al is really part of the experience (especially if you can manage to get the full security shake down &#128521

edit:

“wheretocredit” could be helpful for you here
Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:19 am

Rather than let them languish unused, you can donate points.

https://www.elal.com/en/FrequentFlye...ng-Points.aspx
Old Oct 29, 2019, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by the phoenix
No, I guess I just learned something new. Didn't realize their reward system is not based on miles. So I guess that makes joining Matmid even less reasonable. We'd be a family of four flying in premium economy so I gather that's even less points. Thanks for clarifying.
I believe that you can earn QF miles on LY, and while I'm not too familiar with their program, I also believe that you can transfer miles to another account. So, maybe you should check out their program.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all again. I'll see as the date gets closer if it makes sense to join Matmid. I DO want to get the whole EL AL experience LOL
Old Nov 1, 2019, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

So, all booked for our first El Al flights.

JFK-TLV in preEcon
TLV-JFK in business

So getting familiarized with El Al. and have a few more questions:

1. KD lounge would ONLY be allowed at TLV, not at JFK despite having having the business return, right? And how is the KD lounge?
2. So, seeing that I COULD accrue miles on Alaska from El Al flights. BUT, would I have to be a MATMID member to accrue Alaska miles?
3. Special meals on El Al, wondering what the Childs meal is like as well as the strictly kosher meal options. Are their links to examples?

And I see having tsaPre may be useless at JFK, right? Contemplating Clear now.

TIA for any feedback!
Old Nov 2, 2019, 3:07 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G

JFK-TLV in preEcon
TLV-JFK in business

1. KD lounge would ONLY be allowed at TLV, not at JFK despite having having the business return, right? And how is the KD lounge?
2. So, seeing that I COULD accrue miles on Alaska from El Al flights. BUT, would I have to be a MATMID member to accrue Alaska miles?
3. Special meals on El Al, wondering what the Childs meal is like as well as the strictly kosher meal options. Are their links to examples?

TIA for any feedback!
No access for you in JFK

Childs meal in premium classes are good. All of the meals in ElAl are kosher.

The food from TLV is much better than the food from JFK
Old Nov 2, 2019, 3:28 am

The distribution of the various different levels of “strictness” of kosher meal is all part of the fun- I’m not sure how much you’ll get to experience that outside of economy but you never know, keep an eye out for it
TWA884 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 7:29 pm

ElAl, unfortunately does not participate in TSA pre check.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA

JFK-TLV in preEcon
TLV-JFK in business

TIA for any feedback!
KD lounge: YES in TLV, NO in JFK. In TLV, KDL is the best lounge there is. Much better than Dan.

No need to be Matmid member to earn Alaska miles. Need to be member of Alaska

Child's meal is like chicken nuggets. Strictly Kosher is very similar to the regular meal, but unless you have a religious reason, no need to order it.

TSA Pre useless in JFK when flying LY.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.